free websites to advertise on??

OK..this is my first posting on this site. I'm thinking about joining a friend of mine in his hosting business but not sure where to advertise any specials(ie..6 months or a year of free hosting). I've run a couple of "test" ads on with a few responses but nothing substantial.
    He is currently working but I am not, which means no budget for ads.
    Any suggestions or free sites to recommend??

Behind you :)
    Get some cash and pay for the ads. That's how this business work.

Just don't offer the same as the rest is offering, get something new, something different. That will catch some clients.

There's tons of free hosting directories you can list your site in. Also, add a sig to your posts with a link to your site and join a few forums doing the same thing. You'll get the word out.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

4. You can try very hard posting your site on every free advertising site on the web. At the end of the week you may have 1-3 clicks.

It is not really worth your time to post on free advertising sites. You are better off spending your time working so you can pay for the advertising.

Chennai , India
    what ever you offer , please do one thing in mind is good uptime and support.

Nottingham, UK
    Agreed that free advertising tends not to work, especially on sites that don't get much traffic.

The best way to promote your hosting business is through link exchange with webmaster and web resource related site. Purchasing direct link advertisement on prominent place of webmaster site will also help. Further you must submit your business details in web hosting directories which are good source of business. All the very best!
    “We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” - Anais Nin
    + +

Develop a *very detailed* analysis of the clients you are targetting. Once you do that, you will have a much easier time determining where you can best get clients.
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

chicago, illinois
    best way is to visit forum make ur banners and advertise there for a monthly 20-30 dollars rate its pretty good and pretty consistent ur sure to get some traffic for sure

I dont think free advertising works that much, however I think a referral system is much better .

I recommend to become active member of forums like, ev1servers' forum, etc.. Showing your skills over there will drive a good traffic and targetted customers for you.

Free advertising does work it's how you work it is what counts. Don't put what everyone else puts that "$1.00 hosting" "best hosting in town" thats the same old same old

You want to target but not target like everyone else. Be sure to research seo and work on your site submit to as many search engines as possible daily go to google type in webmaster forums go there daily and advertise you website and look for people requesting hosting. Always start out by offering custom hosting because in the end one of them will write a review or recommend you. that's how i got so many people for my hosting company. Only reason i died out is because i didnt keep doing it. - Based entirely on web hosting user reviews
    Be heard and submit your review review here.

I totally agree with thewebhostingdir and Jim2Macs. Try to get published on the web as often as possible. Additionally offer to write articles and guides to other web hosting press sites out there. An internet publisher is not going to say no to free content, as long as it is correct.

The more you get invloved in the community the more it will help you in the long run.
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

I also agree, just getting your name onto the net is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by [LEFT
    [FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Anky[/FONT][/left]]Develop a *very detailed* analysis of the clients you are
    . Once you do that, you will have a much easier time determining where you can best get clients.
    Yes, you should really determine what your "niche" is and from there you can create a list of websites or places (offline marketing is also valid) your target customers might visit, what search phrases they might search for, what age group they belong to, etc. Once you know everything about your prospective clients you will find it easier to determine how to spend your budget and you will get a much better conversion rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbouk
    Agreed that free advertising tends not to work, especially on sites that don't get much traffic.
    I am glad to hear others say this since this has been my same argument on the Digital Point foruns. Some users want to promote their business all for free and expect to get ahead, that will never happen.

Eventually you do need paid ads but free adverts has worked for me and i was making $100+ a month. Then I stopped hosting. or sold customers due to personal reasons. - Based entirely on web hosting user reviews
    Be heard and submit your review review here.