E-Mail & Other Questions

I am wondering myself, I own few personal domains just for myself, how I can just delete 5,000 emails at once since I dont check emails there.

Also how to setup cron job to delete emails everyday or is better way to disable mail?

Thx
    > UNIXIELHOST | Affordable Web Hosting
    > cPanel/WHM & Fantastico
    > http://www.unixielhost.net

The exact specifics depend on the mailserver and control panel you're using. From your description, I'm guessing you've got a "catchall" setup wherein all messages to your domain get sent to one inbox. As you've discovered, in an age of ever-dumber spammers, that isn't the most wonderful idea.

If you've got webmail, it should give you an option to "delete all". Otherwise, the most universal and fool-proof way of getting rid on an inbox full of junk is to delete and then immediately re-create the account. Anything else is going to be dependant on mailserver and control panel, really.

As to periodically deleting everything, if you set the catchall condition to delete mail, rather than deliver it to your inbox, it shouldn't be necessary.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Remove the mx record from the dns. OR if that fails - point it to one of the hotmail mx servers. Some control panels will let you set the default address as /dev/null as well as the forwarder - but this uses your email bandwidth. Make sure to turn off catchall email system on the domain if you don't need it. If you have a webmail system - load it up in there, and use the select all emails displayed option to choose the emails, and delete them.
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by ImZan
    Remove the mx record from the dns.
    Nope, won't work. In the absence of an MX record, mail will (should) be attempted to be delivered to the "A" record of the domain.

OR if that fails - point it to one of the hotmail mx servers.
    Not a really great idea, either; all that's going to do is get a poor mailserver used by spammers blacklisted by Hotmail and create a needlessly enormous nightmare for the poor sysadmin running it. And a lot of mailservers will still try and fall back to delivering to the A record for the domain, anyway... which also makes seemingly-cute tricks like setting "127.0.0.1", or "192.168.0.1", or "255.255.255.0" as your MX record. This seems to be more prevalent with bulk-mailing software - the same kinds of programs that deliver mail to backup MXes first, or deliver to backup MXes even after getting hard, permenant errors from primary mailservers - but there seem to be a few real servers that do it to, in some kind of irritating attempt to be helpful, or something.

I can't really recommend it - it would be seriously RFC-noncompliant, to say the least - but you might be able to not advertise ANY record for the second-level domain (except NS), not even an A record... I'm sure that would break things I can't think of, and I've never tried it, but running thru the list of how mailservers determine where to deliver mail, I can't think of any way one could still find a place to even attempt a mail delivery.

Either bouncing everything, or just accepting everything and sending it to /dev/null, are much better options, really.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Most of the dedicated spamming systems I've seen seems to use MX records and not A records directly. However I've said that it might fail. The /dev/null option OR bouncing things are really the safest ways to do it with the best results. As for pointing to hotmail. Well, if a spammer is using another server to send out the spam, the sysadmin should have had picked it up. If they didn't they will be a lot likely to find out that there is a spammer issue when he starts getting banned from popular free email systems.
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting

which is the best bet? i want to disable email for some domains so it wont get email at all.
    > UNIXIELHOST | Affordable Web Hosting
    > cPanel/WHM & Fantastico
    > http://www.unixielhost.net

First, Let us know your mailserver you have and also you can use mail client for deleting mails if it is more than specified days. Mail client like outlook has options for this..

YOu need to disable particular mails or you need to block all the mails coming to that domain.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

I am wondering myself, I own few personal domains just for myself, how I can just delete 5,000 emails at once since I dont check emails there.
    It depends on the webmail you're using. Like most of the webmails allows you to go to the "folders" tree, select a folder, mark "Empty folder" checkbox and remove all messages from it.

Also how to setup cron job to delete emails everyday or is better way to disable mail?
    You can remove all the email accounts and disable the catchall/default address and you will not get any email.
    Muhammad Waseem
    Inspedium Corporation (Pvt) Ltd.
    InsPanel - Hosting Control Panel for Windows 2000/2003