Shopping for an SSL Cert - Need Help!

I've been searhcing the forums, reading various offerings on SSL Certs and a trying to find the "right fit" in the market.

My domains are registered with NameCheap and they offer a "StarterSSL" for about $16.00. Can't determine if this is a 128-bit or 256-bit certificate, or are most certs 256-bit capable?

I also need to find a Cert that is "Geo-Neutral" or doesn't require you to specify a country when you generate the Certificate Request. As I am hoping my site will more or less be worldwide, I don't want to tie it down to one country.

GoDaddy (Starfield) seems to offer this "domain name" only type of SSL. Is there any other vendors out there who offer the same?

Thanks!

I'm not aware that any SSL certificate is geographically limited. The information in your certificate request, which then becomes part of the certificate itself, is more for human verification than anything else. IMO, a "geographically neutral" SSL certificate is just a bunch of marketing baloney.

Really, when you get right down to it, all an SSL certificate does is say that (the issuing party says) the hostname is what it says it is, and belongs to whom it belongs to. No more, no less.

I'd suggest you read this page on SSL certificates, if you haven't already, to get a clearer picture of what role an SSL cert really plays in the grand scheme of encrypted connections.

As to 256-bit certs... First, I'm not sure it really matters for anything more than marketing, because it really doesn't have any effect on the encryption as such. Secondly, as far as I can tell, all Verisign and GeoTrust certificates support 256-bit encryption, which is the important thing. Our RapidSSL/StarterSSL certificates from EV1 certainly do, at least with FireFox.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Thanks for the information. I should have been more cleared about the "geography" question.

What I meant was... a certificate that only mentions your company name/website and not your country of origin... C value I believe it is in the certifciate.

Right, I understood what you were talking about... I just utterly fail to see why it matters. Not even one in a thousand visitors looks at that information, and I've never heard of any browser, or plugin, that lets you say "Don't accept certificates from websites in Canada" or whatever.

If you're trying to have some kind of super-duper-secret-anonymous domain registration or something, just put the geographic code of your proxy registrar there... like AU if you're using that one company in Australia, or whatever.

I can totally sympathize with the whole "global village" internet-without-borders thing... but, to quote the title of a business book that was popular a decade or so ago - "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff".
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Haha, so true. I'll probably grab an EV1 or NameCheap... I think they both offer RapidSSL.