Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

You have 10 years left in this industry

That's it folks. You've got 10 years left before the hosting industry is redundant.

10 years to make your money, build your brand. It's all finished then. It's all over. Someone turn off the light before you leave. Imagine WHT becoming a forum that talked about what used to be? The industry that existed for 20 years that was made redundant. Cobwebs are forming.

99% of the population won't even know an industry has gone. They don't know what hosting is now, and won't care. You'll be at a family BBQ, 10 years from now, and someone asks you what you do. You say I used to be a host, but now I'm working at Walmart. They'll say, "what's a host"?

You're standing there, with a coke in one hand, a hamburger in the other, thinking of the good times, that are NOW!!! So you have 10 years left. Make them count!!
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

10 years is forever in this industry
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

10 years is forever in this industry

Hahaha, exactly, Bob, there's no middle age crisis creeping in is there?

sheeze..10 years left.

So should we have a farewell party? wait, no, how about a living funeral?

Hey, that`s good news! I`ve always wanted to retire before I`m 40..

Where did you get the idea that there was that much time left? I'm surprised its still as strong as it is today!

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    That's it folks. You've got 10 years left before the hosting industry is redundant.
    How have you come up with this ?
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker
    How have you come up with this ?
    It's easy! You take a hat, put some numbers in it and then pull one out!

So what happens once the 10 years is up?
    Sean

I'm afraid 10 years is being optimistic.

With Google start showing signs of interfering (google aps) the web hosting industry, the whole industry can be gone within 1 or 2 years if that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelim
    With Google start showing signs of interfering (google aps) the web hosting industry, the whole industry can be gone within 1 or 2 years if that happen.
    Everybody keeps on saying this but it couldn't be further from the truth. Do you really think local businesses woud prefer to go with Google as opposed to someone who is local to them, can provide onsite service as well as phone support wheras Google appears to be reluctant to even give out an e-mail in which you contact them by?

This industry is just going to get more advanced (technology wise), it's never going to 'go away'. Companies with solid business plans will stay alive.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Everybody keeps on saying this but it couldn't be further from the truth. Do you really think local businesses woud prefer to go with Google as opposed to someone who is local to them, can provide onsite service as well as phone support wheras Google appears to be reluctant to even give out an e-mail in which you contact them by?

This industry is just going to get more advanced (technology wise), it's never going to 'go away'. Companies with solid business plans will stay alive.
    I agree, the bigger the compeitiion and name, the more people they bring to web hosting that eventually leave the big companies crappy support and service and seek out a quality local or quality national service. More customers for the little guys.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

I don't think the market is going to disappear anytime soon. As technology advances though I think we are going to see some dramatic changes so the hosting landscape wont look the same in ten years time. I also think we are going to see continued consolidation in the marketplace as well.

- Chris

With 60% of the U.S. still on dial up, it is highly unlikely that this business will disappear anytime soon. If anything it will grow exponentially as soon as these people realize what they've been missing in terms of internet experience and it's only a matter of time until many gravitate to their own website, commerce or otherwise.

What if China lifts its restrictions on internet access?

What about every generation that is born from here on out who will not even know life without a website?

Most small companies don't have the resources to maintain IT departments. This isn't going to change unless the small business itself disappears.

A lot of large companies have already tried to crack the hosting market and most of them have since sold off the entire operation because they cannot afford to provide the support that is needed.

Just my two cents but until there is a 100% fibre buildout in this country, the hosting business isn't going to change much let alone go away.

Even that home users will get fibre in home, application/resource/experience sharing still required. Not all home user can order Ms SQL Server or something similar, not all user can order latest server/computer etc. Security problem also need to be managed by skilled support/admins.
    As home DVD-theater is not competitor for cinema as same home hi-speed connection not a competitor for hosting business...
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

Agreed. I was simply implying that as the connection speeds increase and hardware prices come way down it will be easier for tech savvy people to setup and host their own sites (thus no need for an external hosting company). Just theory of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertPaulson
    With 60% of the U.S. still on dial up, it is highly unlikely that this business will disappear anytime soon. If anything it will grow exponentially as soon as these people realize what they've been missing in terms of internet experience and it's only a matter of time until many gravitate to their own website, commerce or otherwise.

Two totally different market groups. My parents (separate households) and my mother-in-law all use dialup. They are *never* going to want or need their own websites. I believe that most dialup users are people who could survive quite nicely if they were never able to access the internet from home again.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

But that's what someone said to me 11 years ago when we first started, and here we are, 11 years later, and we've grown every year since inception. Hosting now is similar to hosting 11 years ago, except for the larger hardware, plans, and upgraded software. Service, service, service is what drives a host for the long term, not technology or competition.

I'll post again in 2016 with an update on the next 10 years.

- John C.

I believe that most dialup users are people who could survive quite nicely if they were never able to access the internet from home again.
    Not really, dial-up isn't that bad...and now-a-days where it's common for more popular sites to be based moreso around CSS than tons of graphics, it's a lot easier on dial up users for page loads, etc.

I honestly would not have *that* much of a problem with a dial up connection at home, I can do most if not all of my work without complaints.

Also, many of the people who are on dial up in the US are actively switching over to DSL/Cable, Verizon's DSL used to only be $14.95/mo (I saw continuous commercials) and I'm sure people realize that that they about that much or sometimes more for dial up access.

Eventually that number of 60% is just going to reduce, and once people start getting more involved with the internet (they will as they will have greater speed and thus greater ability to do more things on the web), they will without a doubt want their own blog, and perhaps even a website.

And let's not forget the business users. There are many business where I live who do not have a website yet, and I'm sure if you target the local market in your area you will find the same thing.

This industry is not at it's peak, and nowhere close, it will grow exponentially. Google can realize whatever they want, as their new services are only getting to help create awareness of their industry and increase demand for a smaller host that offers more personalized service.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

At the end of the day we're in the technology industry, though hosting is only a small part, technology is going nowhere - just getting better and better.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

It doesn't matter if the public gets fibre cables. It's like the circle of hard drive space.

"I'll never use 10GB" then the programs get bigger as I'm sure websites and the features on them will too.
    Sean

I don't think hosting will go away soon... unless the Internet is gone or replaced by something else. It is because hosting is a service based industry. So, people will find someone to host their site even they have the equipment and the internet connection. It may be because they are lazy, can save money on power bill, don't have the knowledge or etc...

Nearly everyone's home has kitchen, but most people will go to restaurant or fast food shop, right?

Quote Originally Posted by layer0

Very true, and what Bob posted isn't totally impossible. He could be very well right on target or very off But what I can see is Google taking over a big chunk of the market or continue to do what they're doing any make $$ off of hosting advertisers. I'm sure some of the bigger hosting companies will end up becoming partners if not being bought out by Google in order to survive. Though the local businesses will still be hosting their site over at their own personal datacenter which isnt a big issue anymore.

Very interesting thread none the less, as I've been told by friends who do believe I'm stuck in an industry that may not be alive few years from now.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I was being tongue_in_cheek folks.

Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't, but let's not waste the good opportunities that still exist, NOW!! Get out there and make it happen!
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Where it's says so ? Give facts please...

10 years to make your money, build your brand. It's all finished then. It's all over. Someone turn off the light before you leave. Imagine WHT becoming a forum that talked about what used to be? The industry that existed for 20 years that was made redundant. Cobwebs are forming.

99% of the population won't even know an industry has gone. They don't know what hosting is now, and won't care. You'll be at a family BBQ, 10 years from now, and someone asks you what you do. You say I used to be a host, but now I'm working at Walmart. They'll say, "what's a host"?

You're standing there, with a coke in one hand, a hamburger in the other, thinking of the good times, that are NOW!!! So you have 10 years left. Make them count!!

Quote Originally Posted by steven-v
    Where it's says so ? Give facts please...
    I read it. So it must be true!

I was being tongue_in_cheek folks
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast