CP -not- for web hosting

Hey,

First of all, forgive me if I'm the wrong forum. I simply don't know where to ask exactly...

I'm working on an online group project that requires a dedicated server. Since there would be many users contributing to the same project, I needed some method of easily creating/removing user accounts, and manage their permissions throughout the server, as well as methods to easily administer the server. Hoping for a web-based "control panel" that I could use to administer the server, I came across a control panel that my ISP offered: cPanel/WHM.

Although I knew cPanel/WHM was primarily targetted towards web-hosting services and reseller services, I was hoping that I could tailor the features to support a multi-user-single-domain linux/apache/mysql/php administration control panel. I still believe it can do this, but I have become stumped in the configuration.

Can anyone give me an idea of how I can configure cPanel/WHM to offer multiple accounts/users to access a single set of shared resources?

Thanks

open account and setup one domain for your project
    create shared folder on that domain and add ftp users (as many as you want)
    That is simple solution
    if you have a lot of files that you need to share, and you want to organize them, then go to hotscripts.com and find web application for sharing files (many of them are free)

When I add a SLD to my WHM (ie, mydomain.com), it automatically adds the www and ftp subdomains to my DNZ zones. Thus, I can't create cpanel accounts for the www.mydomain.com domain.

In httpd.conf, docroot is on /usr/local/apache/htdocs/ or something like that.

Is it okay to remove the www subdomain from the DNS zones, and then add a cPanel user for the www.mydomain.com domain? I believe this leaves docroot alone, but adds a virtual server that points www.mydomain.com to /home/myuser/public_html/ in httpd.conf.

Last time I tried this, it appeared to work. But when I removed the user, it left a ghost account in cPanel that I couldn't terminate. But then again, that could have been the result of several things (I played around with the test account).

Try www.webmin.com...

Webmin is a great open source control panel for managing your server. It allows configuration of services, ips, adding users to the system and control panel, firewall, etc etc...

plus open source = free can't beat that

CPanel is a web hosting manager so I don't think you'll need that, thats if you were going to offer shared hosting plans.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    Try www.webmin.com...

Webmin is a great open source control panel for managing your server. It allows configuration of services, ips, adding users to the system and control panel, firewall, etc etc...

plus open source = free can't beat that

CPanel is a web hosting manager so I don't think you'll need that, thats if you were going to offer shared hosting plans.
    I like webmin too

I've read about webmin, but my ISP provides their management services through cPanel. If I were to install Webmin, I'm not sure that they could provide the same support. I don't think I would want to run both control panels on the system, since that would lead to higher load/memory usage + more potential security problems.

I'll double check with my ISP and see if they would support a webmin control panel. Otherwise, I just need to figure out what the proper way of setting up cPanel for me is.