Los Angeles

Have 1U Server & Don't know what to do...

I have a 1U SuperMicro SuperServer 2.0 GIG MHZ 1GIG of RAM with a 40 GIG Drive... sitting in my room for about 2 week now.

I also had a Sun Cobalt RAQ 4 that I no longer lease. I installed RH 7.3, FreeBSD and Win2k Server about 3 times each.

Can't make up my mind on what to do with it.

Very soon I will be again taking some classes in school and eventually I will do some VB and ASP. Maybe I should install Win2K Server and SQL Server.

Should I continue using RH and install all the goodies of BNC (irc bouncers) load IceCast or Shoutcast and start streaming.

I also thought of sharing the server with a friend and move few domains on the server.

I do miss ChilliSoft from the RAQ I had which now I have to buy if I want to use ASP or VBScripting and such.

I really don't know... I am stuck. I also thought of hosting certain type of sites at no cost or free. Good cause etc... I also have a business friend that can collocate for free on T3 Line but than I feel obligated to return favors / or / work.

I can also host on a OC3 Line @ 150/month but only 60 gigs of transfer per month. If I was to stream / shoutcast 128bit stream @ lets say 200 listeners that's quite a bit of traffic.

There is allot of controversy with MS and *Nix. Security might play a role but if put behind a well maintained firewall with updated/patched IIS, and all add-ons disabled i.e. LockDown I should be safe.

P.S. One more thing I would like to add. Darn books in college doubled in price since 2 or so years ago. I guess if they can't raise the price in tuition than do it on books.

Memphis TN

I can help you with your problem

I can put these servers in our rack, manage the servers, host reseller accounts and split the profits....

You could allways just give it to me and let me decide what to do with it. ;-)