Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Notebooks

Originally posted by iamdave
    I think we all have enough knowledge to have figured that out.
    I'm sure most of you do, but some people well....don't.

When I first got my tangerine iBook in August 2000, I had the same issue -- my thumb would touch the trackpad and I couldn't figure out why my computer was acting so ODD. LOL!

Once I became aware of it, it self-corrected, and I have not had a problem since. *shrug*

Annoying, yes, but we old dogs can adjust.

Bailey

I took the plunge last week. I got one of the new iMacs with the superdrive. Today I set it up and started using it and I absolutely love it so far. It looks like it may be replacing my Dell as my primary system.
    VOIPO - VoIP Telephone Service

Originally posted by Fiber
    I'm sure most of you do, but some people well....don't.
    if your reffering to me, well i'm fully aware of those sites. i just wanted to ask people who hav experience using both the powerbook and the ibook.

If you switch you will never go back.

I own a Powerbook 667, as well as a dual 1 ghz tower. Both machines are amazing.

I have experience with windows and i think macs are far superior. The uptimes are incredible. I get 20+ days uptime on my powerbook...running an alpha version of os x 10.2....

We got a P4 1.3 or something last year and sold it 5 months latter. My powerbook is much faster from a user point of view.

I manage a small windows network and have no problem connecting to it from my powerbook. If there is any need to run one of the few apps that are windows only, you can get virtual pc.

The new powerbook 667 and 800 are faster than mine, so speed wise you won't be disapinted at all.

I too bought my first mac 2 months ago, same model as the one you picked up Timothy. It's an amazing machine (and OS) and my desk is so clear and concise now. I have pretty much shelved my PC's as I found replacements for everything I truely needed. The only annoyance with the whole deal is web browsin is too slow - no matter which of the 5 differnet browsers I might use. I seriously doubt I will/want ever go back to a x86 PC.

Som tech things about macs!

There is and fast to fix there hdd can format in like 4 mins flat!
    Something stops working shift key while rebooting will not load extentions find your prob and off you go working again.

There easy to fix and the extentions are a beautiful way to have everthing working as you can trash and add as you wish!

They dont crash as much but at the same time using an older version of mac os you have to specify what rams usgae goes to what program.

I still have an ibook that i dont use anymore and yes its true the track pad is crappy!

You would think that they would of thought of something alittle smarter like my new sony vaio they have an excellent track pad system.

You can double tab the pad and it double clicks etc.

The ibook also has only one USD port ( at least the one i have ) and i can only fit in the usb mouse in there but not my digital camera

Its all good anyway happy with the Sony Vaio at the moment for me and Elena has a G4 titanium which she is more scared about getting the thing scratched than putting some work through it.

Kind regards
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

I still have an ibook that i dont use anymore and yes its true the track pad is crappy!
    I still don't get this. The trackpad is fine. I have used both Dell and Gateway notebooks through the course of work, and the trackpad on them is no different.

Pick up your fingers. Pay attention to what you are doing. This is not rocket science.

You would think that they would of thought of something alittle smarter like my new sony vaio they have an excellent track pad system.

You can double tab the pad and it double clicks etc.
    Ummmm, you can do this on an Apple notebook too. Turn it on in your Control Panel.

The ibook also has only one USD port ( at least the one i have ) and i can only fit in the usb mouse in there but not my digital camera
    Easy solution: I bought a $5 USB hub and I can plug four things into my iBook now. FWIW, the new iBooks have more than one USB port, I believe someone supplied the links to the specs earlier in the thread. Not really fair to judge the new iBooks on a 2-year-old feature set of a computer that's no longer made.

Something stops working shift key while rebooting will not load extentions find your prob and off you go working again.

There easy to fix and the extentions are a beautiful way to have everthing working as you can trash and add as you wish!
    This is all true for the "old" OS 9. However it's all nonexistant in OS X. The OS is FreeBSD based, and essentially maintains itself. Uptime and stability continues to be superb. Anyway... no need to hold down the shift key at boot-up with OS X, as there are no extensions to load and hence, conflict.

Bailey

crapple

i was pretty much forced to use a mac at my job , from the constant crashing (nothing better then a error message with a picture of a bomb) , to the one button mouse , i see nothing "better" about an apple computer . Its not in the price , or the design , the speed of the cpu or even the os . The only thing i will give apple is that they have a wonderful marketing department ......

p.s. , when motorola stops making chips for apple , who will pick apple up , i forsee intel processors in apple machines within the next 6 years

from the constant crashing (nothing better then a error message with a picture of a bomb)
    ...as if a blank blue screen is a whole lot more to go on...

to the one button mouse
    what kind of cave were you working in??? My mouse has four buttons, a trackball and a scroll wheel. I haven't used a one-button mouse in a good five years.

i see nothing "better" about an apple computer... not... even [in] the os.
    With the advent of OS X, this is a very narrow-minded comment, even by admission of leading PC magazine editors. To say this is to say that there is nothing better about *nix than Windows. Because OS X is a flavor of *nix with a pretty GUI. Windows is....

*shrug* Hey I run Windows for a couple of programs that don't come Mac. I use Wintel machines at work too. So long as we have differing opinions and preferences, there will be a wide flavor of platforms.

Bailey

well...

maybe the mouse does suck , but its what came with the computer out of the box and what my employer provided. Care to buy me a new one ? . As far as the blue screen , thats true , but that only applys to win users . And there are plenty of os's you can run a "pc" . i just find my mac has more errors and isnt half as fast online as my pc . I did find it funny though that there were no comments on price or cpu . =]

Re: crapple

Originally posted by case

p.s. , when motorola stops making chips for apple , who will pick apple up , i forsee intel processors in apple machines within the next 6 years
    Heh, you can be assured it won't be intel, as both apple and ibm having been using the powerpc chip by motorola they having been making a behind the scenes switch to AMD, in fact the new sledgehammer chip was in devlopment long before the pc based announcement for the powerpc platform

OK, OK, I'll bite.

Price> Yes. They are more expensive. *shrug* So? Gotta realize that Apple's business strategy is not just based on software boxes. Yes, they sell the OS, but the OS will only run on their proprietary hardware. With a small supply and Apple having 100% control over supply and pricing, yes, it's gonna be higher. Remember the old Motorola StarMax licensed line? They were discontinued largely in part because of the damage done to the financial business model. (At least IMHO)

So yes, it's more expensive, and that's simply the cost of doing business with Apple. If you want an Apple, you will pay more. It's a given. If you don't want Apple, you don't care, because you are buying a PC and will run a different OS anyway. *shrug* I, for one, have no interest in a cheap, crappy production-line Dell or Gateway. Sorry, I've seen too many problems just among my friends... I pop the box on my new Apple hardware, and without fail it's been 100%. The one thing that did crop up was fixed for free by Apple, via overnight express.

CPUs> are on par and often outperform Wintel machines. This too is conceded by PC mags. *shrug* So?

One button mice> a person has to pay to "upgrade" their mouse on a PC too. To complain because Apple ships a sucky mouse with their computer is no more constructive than complaining that Dell ships a sucky mouse with their base-line system, too. Anybody can upgrade their mouse on any computer, OS notwithstanding.

Some people actually prefer a one-button mouse. My mother, for instance, adores that wretched hockey-puck mouse. More power to her. I have upgraded my Apple with a nice ergo keyboard, nice mouse, external HD, extra-big monitor, nice HK speakers... but I can't rightly sit here and say "Apple sucks" because they didn't provide these things out of the box. No mfr. does, regardless of company, without a pay-out in some form. I just think it's only fair to critique the performance of the computer, not the stuff you choose to (or choose not to) plug into it.

Even the one-button mouse still has plenty of functionality, simply use control-click to get your contextual menus. Although it must be said, there simply isn't as much stuff to screw up with a Mac. So many folks think they are "missing" something because they can't seem to "find" the myriad of contextual menus and back doors like they can with Win. Alas, they are missing nothing. Mac is just simpler. Easier. More streamlined.

Finally, if your Mac isn't stable, there is a reason, just like there would be a reason if you were running Linux or Windows and there were stability issues. There is really no need for it though. If you are running OS 9, it's most likely an extension or system software issue. Trouble-shoot your extensions and/or reinstall your system software. (It's not a big deal on the latter, unlike Windows) If you are running OS X, which I suspect you are not simply go through the system logs to find the problem. Don't forget to rule out hardware issues: fragmented drive(s), improperly terminated peripherals, old drivers, failing parts, broken or loose cables, firmware issues, and the biggest of all... too little memory!

If you are running OS 9, run, don't walk, to OS X. The difference is like night and day. :

Timothy> I am soooooooooooooooo jealous.

Bailey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12