View Poll Results: What toolbar features can't you live without?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Highlight search terms on page

5 35.71%
  • Pop-up blocker

11 78.57%
  • Automatic form fill

2 14.29%
  • Quick access to news, stock, weather, image searches

1 7.14%
  • Blog features (subscribe with fav reader, "Blog this", etc.)

0 0%
  • Email features (new mail notifier, "Email this")

2 14.29%
  • Find addresses on page and display on a map

0 0%
  • Phishing warning

0 0%
  • Translate words on page

1 7.14%
  • Broad customization (make own buttons for feeds, URLs, scripts, local apps)

2 14.29%
  • Access to personalized stuff (locations for weather, maps; search history; bookmarks)

0 0%
  • Search suggestions as you type

2 14.29%
  • Info about visited site (related sites, page rank etc)

5 35.71%
  • Shopping tools

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

What toolbar features can't you live without?

Many sites offer toolbars for download that extend the functions of IE or Firefox, e.g.:
    - sp.ask.com/en/docs/toolbar/index.php
    - toolbar.google.com/
    - toolbar.yahoo.com/
    Which features are most essential to you?

Please let's not let this degenerate into a discussion of one browser's merit over another, or sth like "Toolbars suck". That's besides the point (although it might be useful if you explain why you dislike them and if there's anything that could make you change your mind). My company is asking me to look into toolbars, so I'd be grateful for your helpful comments.

Thanks!

I have become addicted to Stumbleupon toolbar.

OK I overlooked to enable multiple votes and it seems I can't change that now? Could an admin do it for me please?

I generally hate toolbars, but I like the pr check thing in the Google toolbar.
    ||||
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    ||||

I couldnt vote,my option wasnt listed (None of them (I hate toolbars))

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

What toolbar features can't you live without?

Many sites offer toolbars for download that extend the functions of IE or Firefox, e.g.:
    Which features are most essential to you?

Please let's not let this degenerate into a discussion of one browser's merit over another, or sth. like "Toolbars suck". That's besides the point (although it might be useful if you explain why you dislike them and if there's anything that could make you change your mind). My company is asking me to look into toolbars, so I'd be grateful for your helpful comments.

Thanks!

Gotta agree with the dude here...
    Toolbars are the spawn of satan

What looks like a repeated post above is because at first I forgot to enable multiple votes, so I opened a new poll with the same intro post and then an admin moved the old thread over.

For me no toolbar in firefox, and Google in IE

Quote Originally Posted by dude_s
    OK I overlooked to enable multiple votes and it seems I can't change that now? Could an admin do it for me please?
    If you're talking about being able to vote for multiple choices, you can.

If you're talking about being able to vote and then come back and vote again, I don't believe that's possible.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Yes, I was talking about voting for multiple choices 'cos I believe people may have more than one feature they really like. It's been fixed now.

The Dude and kvnband, could you elaborate? "Toolbars are the spawn of satan" ... What makes you hate them so much? I mean, no one forces you to install any, right?

Sorry, there is no "I hate" choice because this poll is of course meant mainly for people who do use them.

Right, nobody forces me to install them, and I don't, because they are evil.
    I see no reason to have 5 or 6 different toolbars installed that all do the same thing....I get that so much at the computer shop...they are just...evil..And of course, they all have a pop up blocker, and damn..that gets annoying ..try to bypass one blocker and another one kicks in...

I just hate them all...

Quote Originally Posted by kvnband
    because they are evil.
    try to bypass one blocker and another one kicks in...
    What makes them "evil"?

Does your "bypass blocker" comment mean you're looking at it from the webmaster's perspective? Meaning you put up web pages with popups, try to program around the blockers, only to find your popups caught by another blocker you weren't aware of? Hence the "evil" verdict?

Google Toolbar - it has all that I need. Seach, pop-up, and highlight/find are the ones I use the most.

Quote Originally Posted by dude_s
    What makes them "evil"?

Does your "bypass blocker" comment mean you're looking at it from the webmaster's perspective? Meaning you put up web pages with popups, try to program around the blockers, only to find your popups caught by another blocker you weren't aware of? Hence the "evil" verdict?
    damn man..NO, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking from a user's perspective, go to a website and need a popup window for whatever reason and you can't get teh damned thing to open because of the damned popup blockers...that's what i'm talking about.

Cant be doing with toolbars, they take too much space up and have nothing of value to add to my surfing experience all i need is the forward/backward refresh address and google search bits of my browser toolbar and i am happy.

I would also rather poke my eyes out with a blunt rusty nail than install a toolbar from a website as well.....

Popup blocker & Google search. Everything else is already done manually so no need for the toolbar
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I only use Firefox with Google Toolbar, also have some bookmarks.
    I also need IE for Microsoft Officelive ...
    Got Fused?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoobastank68
    Everything else is already done manually so no need for the toolbar
    Hmm... wouldn't you prefer some things to be automatized instead of doing them manually? Isn't that what a computer is all about (besides gaming ) - automatizing workflows to make things easier for you?

The only one I can't live without is the "Back" button! Others are hany, popup blocker in particular, but I could live without them...

Would have to be the Search.

Some of the developers tools on the IE dev and FF dev toolbars are very useful but for standard toolbars it would have to be the Search.
    -- Keith - StormHosts
    Professional Microsoft ASP, .Net, MS SQL and Reseller Hosting Since 2001
    Visit our Community at Stormhosts.net

I don't install toolbars because they take up one bar of space.

I even have the address bar together with the navigation bar, saving one more bar.

The only feature useful is the search, but that comes default with FF on the side.