What's so special about Alexa rank?

How is it an accurate representation of how many pageviews, reach, ...? Not everyone that surfs the web installs the toolbar. In fact, 9/10 people never even heard of it I think more people use the google toolbar than alexa toolbar.

what's the big fuss with the rank? many sites boast about it someone enlighten me. the google pagerank seems more accurate.

Inaccurate as it is, Alexa is the only site that ranks traffic to websites across the internet. Google PageRank is different, and cannot be compared to Alexa, since it is more of an indicator of a site's quality in terms of search engine results than it is an indicator of traffic.

The word that comes to mined is ............Nothing

In my opinion, it's useless. I don't pay attention to it.
    ||||
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    ||||

Alexa was never really accurate, and now with FireFox taking over it is even more worthless.

First of all google page rank is nothing like Alexa and is a content to description type validation.

Alexa is a very good source for trends which is all there is to look at. there are SO many people (millions) using the toolbar that it gives plenty of feedback to get basic trends and patterns and is a good way to guage a sites popularity.

And it's also HARDLY useless because Firefox doesn't build a plugin for it. lol

if you think firefox is 'taking over' you've got some research to do

Most times you'll find that the people that dismiss alexa know nothing (or very little) about trends and sampling, or simply don't like their score
    Last edited by fastnoc; 08-31-2006 at 07:08 PM.

do some one tell who is Alexa

Yes, it is useless if it does not cover all people. Firefox is growing, and as it grows Alexa becomes more inaccurate unless you are tacking granny with he IE 6 and Alexa. Most real Internet users will not install Alexa, or do not use it as they prefer FireFox or some other alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by osteoarthitis
    do some one tell who is Alexa
    alexa.com - a internet trends / tracking site.

one of my sites has 13,000 alexa. is that good?

Quote Originally Posted by ANewDay
    That is a good number for a medium active site.

Nothing is special about Alexa. Same goes for Google's PageRank. Just ignore the fancy numbers

Quote Originally Posted by ANewDay
    It is not good or bad - it is totally meaningless.

Alexa is pretty much worthless except for wannabe bad SEO's that want to sell bad SEO to unsuspecting people based on Alexa rank.

It is VERY easty to spam Alexa and get high rankings - in fact I think there are a couple of programs that will automate that for you.

It's very easy to dismiss Alexa Rank and say it's meaningless and I agree whole heartily, it is no true merit of a sites worth especially as it is easily exploited however the sad fact is that there are certain people/establishments/organisations that do you use it as a bench mark, I remember reading on a blog somewhere that a guy failed to get funding from someone purely based on the fact that his Alexa rank for his site was poor another example is that Adbrite list your Alexa Rank when showing details about your site to potential advertisers.

So all I am saying is that you can't simply dismiss it as being meaningless, a sad fact but never the less a fact.
    -- Keith - StormHosts
    Professional Microsoft ASP, .Net, MS SQL and Reseller Hosting Since 2001
    Visit our Community at Stormhosts.net

Alexa is a pretty big company there stats are pretty accurate I check my site daily and compares to what I actually get, and I think it's a pretty good site to check any websites ranking, stats, and whatnot to see if the website has traffic or not.