Question Q: Small Business Website Hosting - Recommendations?

We run a small/medium business in Ontario, Canada. We have hired a marketing company to build our webpage, and it is close to completion (looks very good). Currently, they are hosting the build version on their servers, but I would like to move it to a more reliable server when we go public with our page.

I am looking for advice and help to find web hosting company that can help satisfy these goals:

- Reliable hosting of our corporate webpage
    - Reliable email service (currently everyone is using gmail)
    - Assistance with moving our DNS data
    - <10gb per month of bandwitdth initially
    - The ability to incorporate a full e-commerce site within 2 years (20,000 SKU catalogue)
    - Fast site load speeds to Canadian website visitors (our customer base is 100% in Canada)

I am more concerned with reliability, service and quality than cost... I am experienced with computers, however very new to web-hosting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (also if you can think of any other criteria we should use, it could be helpful)!

also try looking at http://ca.webhostdir.com/
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Do you have a ecommerce software already in mind?
    Do you plan to use PHP, Mysql, ASP? or any other programming language?
    Any preference in OS?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Do you have a ecommerce software already in mind?
    Do you plan to use PHP, Mysql, ASP? or any other programming language?
    Any preference in OS?
    My only experience with ecommerce software was InterShop, but we haven't settled on a single piece of software yet. As for programming languages, I would like maximum flexibility (within reason). No preference for OS...

There are plenty options for shopping cart now today, many free, some paid (well.. many too ).
    However, I think that you should narrow your requeriments a bit.
    I mean, if you need to work with ASP.net or/and MsSql you can only do this on a windows servers, PHP/Mysql, althrough you can run it too on a windows server, works better with Apache in Linux.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    There are plenty options for shopping cart now today, many free, some paid (well.. many too ).
    However, I think that you should narrow your requeriments a bit.
    I mean, if you need to work with ASP.net or/and MsSql you can only do this on a windows servers, PHP/Mysql, althrough you can run it too on a windows server, works better with Apache in Linux.
    At this stage, all I am looking for is a reliable web hosting company (as outlined in my initial posting above)... With regards to programming and e-commerce, I really don't want to delay making a decision on hosting our site while I figure out these things. Ideally, I would like to choose a hosting solution that will offer flexibility.

Are there any more recommendations of hosting providers? I have read good things about HostGator and Site5, but I am not sure if people are using them for business websites...

I suggest to re-search about site5 on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sukoto
    We run a small/medium business in Ontario, Canada. We have hired a marketing company to build our webpage, and it is close to completion (looks very good). Currently, they are hosting the build version on their servers, but I would like to move it to a more reliable server when we go public with our page.

I am looking for advice and help to find web hosting company that can help satisfy these goals:

- Reliable hosting of our corporate webpage
    - Reliable email service (currently everyone is using gmail)
    - Assistance with moving our DNS data
    - <10gb per month of bandwitdth initially
    - The ability to incorporate a full e-commerce site within 2 years (20,000 SKU catalogue)
    - Fast site load speeds to Canadian website visitors (our customer base is 100% in Canada)

I am more concerned with reliability, service and quality than cost... I am experienced with computers, however very new to web-hosting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (also if you can think of any other criteria we should use, it could be helpful)!
    Your servers don't have to be in Canada in order to provide good fast page loads to your Canadian customers. The website, if built properly could be hosted on any quality host located almost anywhere and your curtomers won't know the difference. So your mission to find a quality host is the best way to go. My suggestion is you include hosts that offer multi-homed or clustered networks. This type of network/server environment offers the possibility of more reliability over traditional network environments. You can test the site load speeds of their servers yourself by e-mailing the host(s) and asking for a URL of a site on the server that they would put you on. Or better yet you could e-mail the host(s) and ask for a trial period where you can upload your site and test it out for a few days before you make up your mind. I am sure most quality hosts would not mind doing this at all.

Personally I think you are doing the right thing by looking for a quality host that best fits your needs over looking for a good deal on hosting. You will be much happier with your decision in the end.

sukoto,

Just recently prioritycolo in downtown Toronto (Their operation is down on Front street) opened up shared services.

I know quite a few folks who've dealt with them and they're all very satisfied with the service and quality.

Their site is available at:

http://prioritycolo.com/

I will admit I haven't used the service myself but I will be considering them for my next hardware rental.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

You need a host that will work with you and make sure it is fully scalable, I suggest looking in the offers section <edit>.
    Last edited by bear; 08-31-2006 at 02:20 PM.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Look at a service leader like Pair.com or futurequest.net. These are companies that businesses rely on for hosting, and they actually offer a great level of support for a modest price.

- John C.

If you paln to go for a dedicated server, than the servers from theplanet are the best. For shared hosting, what platform do you need? windows or linux (Unix). If your application is developed in microsoft scripting languages like asp.net, then you will need windows server. If your application uses platform independent languages like php or jsp, then you have choice of both linux and windows.

For Linux servers, My top 2 are Hostgator and Bluehost.

And make sure you prepare a checklist for your requirement and search for host. This will make your search easier and you will shortlist more qualified hosts for your requirements.

CartikaHosting (http://www.cartikahosting.com/) is located in Ontario Canada and is highly respected around here.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2Macs
    CartikaHosting (http://www.cartikahosting.com/) is located in Ontario Canada and is highly respected around here.
    I'll second that; however, they are based in Canada -- but the servers themselves are in Colo4Dallas. But the speeds are quite fast to all of Canada, I've tested.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.