Thread: VPS with VPN

VPS with VPN

Hi Everyone,

I need a hand with a couple of items, i have just learnt about VPS solutions because we where looking for a dedicated server however was slightly out of our price range, having read about VPS's it seems a really good idea to have one of these in place for what we require. and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possible to do what we are looking for within a VPS

I require to install sage on a VPS via RDP and would only require 1 ip address to the VPS, however for our users to connect to sage i belive i would require a VPN to connect to the server and pass traffic backwards and forwards, i would not require this server to host any web site, maybe some files as well so i assume this would work best for us.

Is this possible for VPS to handle this?? I would prefer to have a Cisco VPN as well.

Any help would be greatful.

Thanks, Tim.

Hi!
    Excellent timing!

That was the last thing on my list..VPNs. Openvz can be configured for this...but I needed to learn more about *why* people want it..and if there would be downsides for the host (ala IRC). What is sage? I could google it..but google has been failing me of late..too much garbage...no content at all..lots of wasted time.

I doubt any host would be able to provide Cisco hardware for this..but it does look like it is a hardware and software thing:

TUN/TAP device
    Tun/TAP driver
    tun module for the kernel

I would like to learn more about this..but I really don't have the time to do the research right now. If you could give me a basic overview of what sage is and why your users would need a VPN...that would help me greatly.

Thanks!

Bryon

Why don't you use ssh port forwarding. Very quick to setup, and you can pipe anything through ssh.

Just an idea.

If you are looking to install a VPN on Windows VPS (guessing from the use of RDP) you are then I'm afraid you are a bit out of luck if the host is using Virtuozzo. You need to look at either a VMWare based VPS provider or a dedicated server.

HTH

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Hey guys, thanks for you response. Royalsid, i hadn't thought about ssh, would that be pretty simple to setup?? What would be required on the Client connecting to the server.

a2b2, i will hopefully be using PowerVPS.com having spoken to them i belive they can supply a Windows VPS without Virtuozzo, but i still need to verify that.

Thanks, Tim.

Actually it was Plesk not Virtuozzo, so i'm talking rubbish. Are you not able to run a Windows VPN on a windows VPS??

Tim.

GUys, just for anyone else reading this posting and wondering about VPS and VPN it looks like there will be a feature within Virtiozzo.

http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?threadid=32900

Bit behing schedule at the moment though

Tim.

Yup thats about right

Best to either weight or pick up a cheap Windows box somewhere
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Also, if your concern is secure communications between your users and the servers, you could always have them RDP directly to it and work from it as a true Terminal Services Application Server. You'll just need to make sure you have enough RDP connections. It's not "ideal" as a vpn alternative but it'll work.
    ~Jeff
    VPSLAND.com - Advanced Virtual Private Servers
    Managed Windows 2003 and Xen Linux VPS

I'm a little unsure as to why you say you need a VPN? RDP itself is encrypted, and you can simply add IP access filters to do what you want.

I could understand if you were running other applications on the server but if it's purely RDP there's no need.

Dan

Are you looking to use business works?

I would not use a vpn connection for this solution, you will likely end up with corrupt data because of the funky way that sage uses pervasive sql..

Instead I would use RDP (terminal services).

If you want to connect more than 2 users at a time (actually 3 because you can use the console login as well) you will need to switch your terminal services mode out of remote administation and buy licenses for the terminal services users that you want to connect.. Licensing can be done in differant ways....

Using terminal services is nice because you can connect from anywhere and run your software, Also 1 copy of office can be used for all of your users..

Lastly I dont know that a VPS is going to provide you with enough cpu / memory.

I run a terminal server with an average of 35 concurrent connections and a peak of 58 connections but that is on a beastly dual core dual cpu +hyper threaded xeon with SAS drives.

Additionally why use a hardware VPN, you can just use the VPN software (routing and remote access) that is built into windows. This might not be ideal for a large vpn deployment but your never going to get enough users connected to a VPS VPN in order to justify a PIX or the like..
    Last edited by Dave W; 09-05-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Wow guys, thanks for all of this information, i have now got a test vps in place, and following on from royalsid advice i have implemented BitVise SSH Client/Server. I really need to test sage and see how it works, but i have also heard there are quite a few issuse with running it over the internet, i belive there is a new version of Sage called Sage MMS which is a new version between line 50 and 100 that has been written in C# with SQL Server and that should work alot better. I think i will have to use RDP for the moment.

Thanks guys for all your help and i will let you know how i get on with the testing. I decided to use Power VPS and the level of service i would have to say has been superb.

Tim.

Tim,

Sorry for the delayed reply. To set up ssh, simply allow port forwarding in the configuration. For the clients, you can use putty which is available free of charge. Now there is a caveot with XP pre sp2. It does not correctly route the localhost:port through ssh, so make sure you are running sp2 on your xp machines.

Isn't OpenVPN available on Plesk?

Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 should do you good; unlike with Virtuozzo for Windows, you will be able to setup VPN just fine.

Cheers!
    Have a question?

I second that Milovan, just dont know of a host that provides VPS accounts using MVS

I would have to say since i have setup this server running ssh it has been great. the only issuse i'm having at the moment it file sharing over the network.

Milovan would i be correct in saying that i would need to setup and windows AD etc to use a windows vpn??

Thanks, TIm.

Tim..

I have mine setup with AD...

on the client side you can tell the client to log into the AD so it has full access rights to the filesystem and it is easier to administer..

However I have never ran a DCPROMO remotely on a server so I would make sure that your DC approves of doing so.

Also make sure that if your clients connect with the windows vpn client that they go into networking / tcp ip / advanced and uncheck the box that says use default gateway on remote network.. With this setting enable everything they do on the internet while connected to the vpn will route through your server which might generate a bandwidth overage.. Once you uncheck that option the only thing that will transfer across the vpn will be real vpn traffic..