The service Named is down

Hey guys...

I just returned from Pakistan and I have found out that one of my services on my server has been down called named. I am not sure as to how to solve this since my host is unreliable. I think I will have to solve this on my own so I would like to request some assistance from you educated folks here...

Here is what it tells me in Virtuoso

Operation restart with the VPS(s) VEID1156 service "named" is finished with errors: #703 Can not start/stop/restart service: Stopping named: [FAILED] Starting named: /usr/sbin/named: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/named: undefined symbol: dns_resolver_setudpsize [FAILED] .
    Last edited by UnitedPakistan; 08-31-2006 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedPakistan
    Hey guys...

I just returned from Pakistan and I have found out that one of my services on my server has been down called named. I am not sure as to how to solve this since my host is unreliable. I think I will have to solve this on my own so I would like to request some assistance from you educated folks here...

Here is what it tells me in Virtuoso

Operation restart with the VPS(s) VEID1156 service "named" is finished with errors: #703 Can not start/stop/restart service: Stopping named: [FAILED] Starting named: /usr/sbin/named: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/named: undefined symbol: dns_resolver_setudpsize [FAILED] .
    Try one of the following:

yum install bind-libs

up2date -u bind-libs

You can also download the RPM from somewhere. When it's updated, restart your Named service. Also, make sure your /etc/named.conf file is not corrupt.

slhost,

Thanks for replying and giving me some hope...

The first command went through but it did not fix the problem. The second command did not go through SSH... How can I check if my file is corrupt?

This is one of the seven great wonders of cPanel, auto-update!

Right now we have >30 tickets related to this 'update' being solved. Unbelievable.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

The solution for this problem is

yum install bind-libs

Thanks folks!
    Last edited by UnitedPakistan; 08-31-2006 at 10:06 AM.

Hello

This is _NOT_your host's fault. cPanel distributes updates to your server automatically if you have enabled automatic-update. I would advise to disable it in the future. Please post output of this;

# ps aux |grep named

# ps aux |grep rndc
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

Moved To Technical & Security Issues.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by EuroVPS/Director
    Hello

This is _NOT_your host's fault. cPanel distributes updates to your server automatically if you have enabled automatic-update. I would advise to disable it in the future. Please post output of this;

# ps aux |grep named

# ps aux |grep rndc

its not cpanels fault, we see this on any server. many people up2date -u as a cron which causes the same deal and no control panel.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

fix

Just add a usable IP to the top line in /etc/resolv.conf:

That line will allow your server to use a working IP nameserver to resolve the IP for up2date. We have then updated the bind-lib and bind is back up and running.

This problem is becuase of a cpanel update that failed to install bind-libs and was resolved by running:

up2date -u bind-libs

and restarting bind.

Relax
    OWM
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

A recent back-end (automated) cPanel update messed up something on my domain's server called "rndc keys". I don't know what "rndc keys" is or does, but this update may be what "broke" your server. (From what I understand, this update has been causing frequent problems here of late.)

The effect of this "breakage", if you will, is that the "named" process will fail, and you will not be able to restart it, nor will "bind" work. You will be able to access your site via the IP address, but the DNS service will have failed. You have to fix the "rndc" problem first; then the rest will probably be fine.

Contact your host for specific advice. Good luck!

Eliz.