Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving off of Dreamhost, please recommend me a good company to go with

I am moving off of Dreamhost because my 777 deal is almost up, their IMAP/webmail is slower than a snail, and their configuration page is very confusing. I will be moving 2 domains over.

I tried using HostGator yesterday, and while their mail system is much zippier than DH I'm having a lot of trouble customizing it and getting it to work. For example, the login process *sucks*. You can't change the webmail image unless you purchase "reseller hosting," you can't change your password from the config page, etc etc.. too much trouble. I only registered for a penny (had a coupon) so I'm not mad.

My requirements
    5-10gb disk / 75-100gb bandwidth
    $10-15/month
    Multiple domains
    IMAP
    Powerful webmail features ** <-- IMPORTANT
    SSH access
    cPanel+Fantastico (or better... but.. is there better??)
    99.99% uptime, 24/7 support chat
    And the usual stuff...

Hi,

I'd first try the Host Quote feature here on WHT and requesting your specific needs regarding Webmail, then take a look in the Hosting Offers section for some good deals but make sure the webmail suites your needs.

Take your time and look around WHT for hosts & reviews.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

NYC! You know any good NYC hosts? I'm in Brooklyn.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by sauced
    NYC! You know any good NYC hosts? I'm in Brooklyn.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Are you looking for a company who has their office based in new york, data center located in new york, or both?
    Regards,

Oh, NYC isn't a requirement. I just thought it would be nice to have a local company handle my business. Both office and data center would be great though, if they can meet my requirements

Checkout: http://www.cirtexhosting.com/
    Hoobastank68 seems to be affiliated and he has posted above. Their servers are located in NJ + PA and their office is in NY. New jersey is close to you too, so the servers won't be far away.
    As for your requirements, check out the 'shared and reseller hosting offers section' on this forum. You will most likely find a host there who has a very similar plan to your request.

You really can't expect a great service from Dream Host, just look at their plans..

You could try www.servage.net, they oversell, and have similiar services to Dream Host, but I've used them for nearly a year now, and they just keep getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    You really can't expect a great service from Dream Host, just look at their plans..

You could try servage. they oversell, and have similiar services to Dream Host, but I've used them for nearly a year now, and they just keep getting better.
    Seems they're located in Germany. I dunno if thats a good thing... Plus, they oversell..

I like their specs though. I know I can't bargain much for just $10/mo, its just that there's so many well reviewed hosts to choose from... hopefully I can narrow it down. I thought I was good with HostGator but their webmail kills it for me.

5-10gb disk / 75-100gb bandwidth
    $10-15/month
    SSH access
    99.99% uptime, 24/7 support chat
    Do you want the world as well?

99.99% uptime means bringing the 'big bucks' to the table and going with a premium company, not some overselling crowd. Plus you want 24/7 live chat, and SSH access and all of that space/bandwidth. When will people learn...
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

i would highly recommend exilehosting.co.uk for that one, here is the price plan that would suit you

EXILE GOLD:

Space: 20gb
    Bandwidth: 75gb
    Fantastico: Yes
    Email Accounts: Unlimited
    Sub Domains: Unlimited
    Databases: Unlimited
    FTP Accounts: Unlimited
    Webmail Access: Yes
    Pro Support: Yes
    Addon Domains: Unlimited

*PRICES*
    Monthly: $8
    Yearly: $80

The uptime is fantastic and support is just unbelievable, and your account is ready to use in a few hours, one slight warning though, the owner is only 15 years old LOL...

http://www.exilehosting.co.uk

torrent-kingdom, what domain have you hosted with this company you're recommending?

Sorry, I can't go with a UK provider, I am in the USA.

What exactly do you mean with "Powerful webmail features"
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I believe the SSH Access is going to be an issue with alot of host for security purposes unless you have a reseller account in some fashion so HostGator is right when it comes to that.

If you don't mind me asking - for those host that might be interested - what are you looking at hosting that you need SSH access and the ability to skin Horde or SquirrelMail?

Sounds like - just from my looksie of your requirements is you are going to provide email accounts for a set group of people - maybe through you community - and require the ability to skin your email software. Am I close? (I was never really good at horseshoes either)

You could try www.servage.net, they oversell, and have similiar services to Dream Host, but I've used them for nearly a year now, and they just keep getting better.
    Is it just me, or is there a real conflict between the two statements there?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Someone caught on! I wanted to mention it but I don't need more warning points, heh

Whatever happened to paying a premium for premium services?
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    I was pondering exactly the same thing...

just check out my forum, thats one of 2 websites i am hosting with them on the same account... < url removed >

i highly recommend them as your host

and why not use a uk host they have less rules on what types of sites you can host
    Last edited by bear; 09-01-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torrent-kingdom
    and why not use a uk host they have less rules on what types of sites you can host
    Like illegal movie torrents? Is that really allowed in the UK?

I tried using HostGator yesterday, and while their mail system is much zippier than DH I'm having a lot of trouble customizing it and getting it to work. For example, the login process *sucks*. You can't change the webmail image unless you purchase "reseller hosting," you can't change your password from the config page, etc etc.. too much trouble. I only registered for a penny (had a coupon) so I'm not mad.
    Hostgator uses Cpanel as the control panel software. Cpanel is the most popular and common control panel you will find so if you do not want Cpanel you need to specify that. Otherwise if you go to another provider their mail configuation will be exactly the same.

I do not understand what you mean by you can't cahnge your password from the config page. You can change the password for all your mail accounts in the MAIL section of Cpanel.

I would suggest contacting the host before with your mail requirements, im sure they all can be met. I think there are some good hosts out there in the 5gb range that can give you the quality your looking for. It doesnt seem like your requirements are too tough imho. Hope this helps.
    Jazzy Host - cPanel Hosting You Can Count on
    Shared cPanel Hosting, cPanel Reseller Hosting w/ WHM, Managed Dedicated Servers
    24/7 Live Support/Quick Ticket Replies, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - Monitored by 3rd Party for you to see
    Great Prices, No Setup Fees, Fast Setup!!

its an offshore server so yes, it is perfectly legal here in the uk, because we are not actually storing the files on our servers, if we was it would be a different matter, if they sue us they may aswell sue google too because they act as a bit-torrent search engine too, just they dont provide a direct download link, but the do provide details on how to obtain the files, copy and paste this url in google and see what comes up, you will see what i mean

google.com/search?hl=en&q=the+da+vinci+code+ts+kvcd&btnG=Google+Search

besides unlike the states we have sane rules here lol

support is just unbelievable
    Do the support staff spell as badly as the sales site?

the owner is only 15 years old LOL...
    Ah, I see
    Oli Allen

Quote Originally Posted by oliciv
    Do the support staff spell as badly as the sales site?

Ah, I see
    huh..? Servage owned by 15 yr old? Where did you see that
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast