Moving hard drives to a new case - is this workable ?

Hello,

I've got a server with a P4 dual core with 2 Gb RAM. I would like to change it for a dual Xeon with 4 Gb RAM. It is too complicated to move all users from a machine to another. This involves many issues. My idea is just to remove the hard drives from the first machine and put them on the new one and boot right away. With this trick, the server is changed but the IPs and everything else will remain the same.

What do you think about it? Should I expect any issue?

Thanks
    .:. Enterprise SAN Consultant .:.

It depends alot on the OS. If you are using any version of Windows, I would not recommend doing this, as it would cause alot of general "broken-ness" in the OS. if you are using Linux, or a Unix variant, it should work fine. You definitly want to make sure the OS supports any harware in the new box, particularly NICs. Other than that it should work fine.

Hi, thank you

I am using CentOs 4.3 on the box. My worst fear is a problem with the Kernel during the boot on the new hardware.
    .:. Enterprise SAN Consultant .:.

It should work fine. you can also set kudzu to load on bootup and it will auto detect / configure any new hardware
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |