Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    90

    Control Panels (DA vs. cP)

    Hello FWS,

    I was just wondering, does it really make a big difference between cPanel and DirectAdmin to customers and hosting users.

    Here Are Two Demo's;

    http://www.directadmin.com/demo.html (DirectAdmin)
    http://www.cpanel.net/products/cPane...try_cp_whm.htm (cPanel)

    I don't say a really big difference, if DirectAdmin has Installtron.

    So, any answers?

    Thank You.
    Royal Designs - Designing Unique Logos (*PM for a free quote)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    47
    I have always used and love cPanel.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    90
    Thank you for your opinion Aaron.

    But, my opinion. If I had to choose between cPanel and DirectAdmin. And a host only served one control panel, I wouldn't really care.

    I'm not saying cPanel is bad, it's the leading control panel out there
    But I'm trying to say, more people should give DirectAdmin a chance. Expecially if it has installtron.

    Thank you.
    Royal Designs - Designing Unique Logos (*PM for a free quote)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    309
    IMO, DirectAdmin is much stable and faster than cpanel
    DA is a compiled C program...and cpanel...not sure but heard from someone that it is rely on perl (please correct me if i am wrong =).
    Rails in DA - Ruby on Rails plugin for Directdmin | DA-Tomcat - Tomcat Manager plugin for Directdmin
    DA-PgSQL - PostgreSQL plugin for Directdmin | IP Deny Manager - IP Deny Manager plugin for Directdmin
    DeeperAdmin - Manager your DirectAdmin server "deeper"
    Order now at http://www.daplugin.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,398
    I was just on my way to write a small review about this. As far as being an admin direct admin is the way to go, it is faster and more stable. I just got done doing an update to a new cpanel server we got and it screwed everything, Im waiting on support now. The update was to release and apache to latest with php5, shouldnt have been no problem but it was.
    With direct admin it does not take over your system. You still have a basic lamp server you can go in and do what you want. Not to mention you can run all newer software flawlessly with DA. 2 drawbacks to da though - Its hard to sell, so many people are still stuck on cpanel and it runs apache as apache:apache and if a php shell is uploaded they can upload and run anything even executables, use gcc, etc; You have to manually fix that or use mod security with a good ruleset.
    Cpanel does have some nice features but never on my da server did everything or one thing screw up and I was not able to fix it.
    The customers I have now that used to be big cpanel lovers, when asked if they would like to switch to a cpanel server they said heck no. Another good thing about da which I guess its availble for cpanel as well is the extra Installatron, it is 10 times better then fantastico and gets all the latest scripts directly from the vendor.
    If it wasnt so hard to sell da we wouldnt have even bought the cpanel server. Da is nice, the forum is awesome too, Very active, very helpful and lots of cool update scripts.
    As far as the client side I dont see that much difference in DA and cpanel, seem to have most of the same features except newer scripts and sofwtare. When I asked cpanel support about how to update my phpmyadmin and webmails they say I have to wait on cpanel update, So I do not have much control over that. With DA I can update and change what I want when I want.

    If you think you can sell it go for DA, I warn you though it is a pain to sell, at least for me it is. And you better not be afraid of the shell to use DA, not like you have to do some crazy hard stuff, most is copy and paste from their knowledgbase or forum.

  6. #6
    I prefer cpanel myself, DA just feels different and I dont like it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    836
    +1 for DA

    I feel less violated managing it, cPanel really jams itself up there and wiggles around. You don't notice it until you dig deaper into the operating system. Plus the costs, nuff said.

    Either one does the job just fine, if your that close flip a coin.
    managedway
    WE BUILD CLOUDS

    Cloud Computing | Fiber Optic Internet | Colocation

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,711
    DirectAdmin is SOOOOO customizable, it's not even funny. Makes cPanel look bad.
    Zach E. - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    47
    Can someone break down the pro's and con's for both cPanel and DirectAdmin (or a website that does this)? Also, is it possible to merge over from cPanel to DA and visa versa?

    I want to be informed on both before I purchase a VPS with HostMaven.

    Thanks,
    Aaron

  10. #10
    All of my clients perfer cPanel because they are most familiar with it but im sure everyone will turn to da in the future.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron151
    Can someone break down the pro's and con's for both cPanel and DirectAdmin (or a website that does this)? Also, is it possible to merge over from cPanel to DA and visa versa?

    I want to be informed on both before I purchase a VPS with HostMaven.

    Thanks,
    Aaron
    Honestly.

    Now that DirectAdmin has Installatron. There's no difference, I guess the only reason why cPanel got so big was because of Fantastico because of the easy way of installing scripts. But now, they're pretty much tied.

    cPanel Pros & Cons:

    Pros: Most people like cPanel
    Pros: Fantastico
    Cons: Expensive

    DirectAdmin:

    Pros: Installatron
    Pros: More Cost Efficient
    Cons: Not as popular as cPanel

    I'm sure there's alot more, but I can't name them all.

    Regards.
    Royal Designs - Designing Unique Logos (*PM for a free quote)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    261
    As an administrator I would choose DirectAdmin or Interworx.

    However if your target hosting customer is a ( for lack of a better word ) "Moron" then cpanel is perfect, all the little shiny features to make them happy, and mesmerized for months.

    However the reason I would not choose Cpanel is it is a resource hog, has update bugs, and has had no major update in the last few years. (Security is questionable)

    The reasons I love DirectAdmin and Interworx are because, they are simple, and light on the server. Both focus on security, which makes me happy.

    However if I had to pick between DirectAdmin and Cpanel, my answer is going to be neither, as Interworx is so very nice with there built-in MRTG style graphs for everything. (interworx.com)

    hope it helps some....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousServers
    As an administrator I would choose DirectAdmin or Interworx.

    However if your target hosting customer is a ( for lack of a better word ) "Moron" then cpanel is perfect, all the little shiny features to make them happy, and mesmerized for months.

    However the reason I would not choose Cpanel is it is a resource hog, has update bugs, and has had no major update in the last few years. (Security is questionable)

    The reasons I love DirectAdmin and Interworx are because, they are simple, and light on the server. Both focus on security, which makes me happy.

    However if I had to pick between DirectAdmin and Cpanel, my answer is going to be neither, as Interworx is so very nice with there built-in MRTG style graphs for everything. (interworx.com)

    hope it helps some....
    Well said, I have to agree. If you're going to market your webhosting to people that are not to familiar with the hosting industy it might be an idea to offer cPanel but to experienced people that know what they're doing, DirectAdmin or any other control panel is perfect.

    And, like you said. DirectAdmin is simple, doesn't take so much resources, and more cost effecient then cPanel.

    Anyways, I've never tried Interworx. I might in the future.

    Thank you.
    Royal Designs - Designing Unique Logos (*PM for a free quote)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Ever-host[DOT]com
    Well said, I have to agree. If you're going to market your webhosting to people that are not to familiar with the hosting industy it might be an idea to offer cPanel but to experienced people that know what they're doing, DirectAdmin or any other control panel is perfect.

    And, like you said. DirectAdmin is simple, doesn't take so much resources, and more cost effecient then cPanel.

    Anyways, I've never tried Interworx. I might in the future.

    Thank you.
    Anytime, I try my best.
    7 years in the industry and every day is just as fun.

  15. #15
    Usinf directadmin and I just couldn't imagine using another panel out there..
    Last edited by cyberdyne; 09-05-2006 at 02:44 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35

    Newer software?

    Quote Originally Posted by SecureServerTech
    Not to mention you can run all newer software flawlessly with DA. 2 drawbacks to da though
    Can u please confirm me if I can run DA with mysql (5.0.24-standard) or > and php 5.3? I already have a host with Cpanel and this configuration and Im planning to move to another new server and I want to change of control panel, I don't feel nothing safe with cpanel, Im not sure if on the next upgrade my system will screw. I want to know too if DA is AWSTATS and HORDE compatible.

    Thx to all 4 ur comment's u ar lightning me up.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by kinstinct
    Can u please confirm me if I can run DA with mysql (5.0.24-standard) or > and php 5.3? I already have a host with Cpanel and this configuration and Im planning to move to another new server and I want to change of control panel, I don't feel nothing safe with cpanel, Im not sure if on the next upgrade my system will screw. I want to know too if DA is AWSTATS and HORDE compatible.

    Thx to all 4 ur comment's u ar lightning me up.
    yes to all
    DA depends on nth, and nth depends on DA
    i have a server running both PHP4 and PHP5 with suPHP

    BTW i can't see your point that why AWSTATS and HORDE will not compatible with DA, they are just perl and php scripts
    Rails in DA - Ruby on Rails plugin for Directdmin | DA-Tomcat - Tomcat Manager plugin for Directdmin
    DA-PgSQL - PostgreSQL plugin for Directdmin | IP Deny Manager - IP Deny Manager plugin for Directdmin
    DeeperAdmin - Manager your DirectAdmin server "deeper"
    Order now at http://www.daplugin.com

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35

    Great

    Quote Originally Posted by hehachris
    yes to all
    DA depends on nth, and nth depends on DA
    i have a server running both PHP4 and PHP5 with suPHP

    BTW i can't see your point that why AWSTATS and HORDE will not compatible with DA, they are just perl and php scripts
    Well thx 4 ur post, Im just on their forum right now looking 4 more information.
    Regarding AWSTATS and Horde question, Im not so skilled on server management area.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by kinstinct
    Can u please confirm me if I can run DA with mysql (5.0.24-standard) or > and php 5.3? I already have a host with Cpanel and this configuration and Im planning to move to another new server and I want to change of control panel, I don't feel nothing safe with cpanel, Im not sure if on the next upgrade my system will screw. I want to know too if DA is AWSTATS and HORDE compatible.

    Thx to all 4 ur comment's u ar lightning me up.

    I want to know too if DA is AWSTATS and HORDE compatible.
    Sure are..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •