Thread: What can I do?

What can I do?

What is someone to do when they cant get in touch with their host? My site has been down for 5 fuggin days, for a bullchit mistake THEY made, and they wont fix it. I get about 1 email a day that is jibberish and amounts to nothing. If I call, its just a recording.

I cant fuggin believe this. What can I do?!?

Change hosts?

When they're up grab your files and cancel it.

Thats the plan, but I cant even get my files now...and I NEED them...lots of important things in there.

Is there some sort of internet [police or something I can contact? BBB maybe?

This cant be happening...

May I ask who you are currently hosting with?

I'd rather not say right now, since they've got me by the balls.

Well, this isn't what you want to hear but largely it's your fault if you dont have backups. This will be a good lesson.

Other than that, you're pretty much at their mercy

If you actually know your IP address and your login information you can get all your information and change hosting company's.

Well there's a reason I dont have a backup, because it wont downlaod correctly...but thats why I pay them, to save backups.

E-places in response to what you said most hosting company's have backups of the customer's information and could get the site back online.

Shibby, have you tried contacting other hosting companies to see if they can assist you.

How can other hosts assist me? I do plan on moving, but if I cant get my files....

What platform are you hosted on? Linux, or Windows?
    Kevhosting.com -
    High quality hosting, resellers and VPS packages.

Windows platform.

Maybe they would know the direction to tell you to talk to get your current company off their butts and assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by AITstheBest
    E-places in response to what you said most hosting company's have backups of the customer's information and could get the site back online.

I agree that most companies do backups. I do. But if you don't take responsibility to backup your own files than in the end you really have nobody to blame. I backup every site we have, every week, and important sites daily. I don't, and I'm thinking most don't, guarantee backups for any site. It's done as a courtesy.

The exception would be if you were paying for specific backups. but to me if it were that important I'd still want a copy.

It's not the greatest answer but relying on someone else for your backups is a tough pill to swallow.

As far as downloading correctly I'm not sure what that means?

Well, I'd appreciate any and all help, so thanks. I really dont know what to do anymore...

THis is making me sick.

I dont know, but Ive never been able to take a full backup of my forums. For some reason, it would only download about half, and then say 'download complete'. I, of course, had no way to know it was doing it half-assed...I fogured everything was good.

Hang in there. they most likely still have all your data. If they're still sending emails then at least you know you have some sort of communication.

Just don't give up!

Its been 5 days, and I get one email a day. They really are no help at all. Its the worst support Ive ever seen in my 8 years of running websites. And to think that they get so much praise around here as a great host...it really baffles me.

And the most recent backup they have is from about 4 months ago....amazing.

That's precisely why you should say who it is. Just my opinion. of course you're not obligated to do that at all.

I will, but I'd like to first give them a chance to make this all good.

I have a .sql backup of my forums that is around 500mb. Is there any way I can check this to see if it's complete, without installing it somewhere?

If this bacup is good, I'd just leave them right now and get a new host.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Well,

you could always import it into an existing empty database, then just check the tables.

You're in great shape though with your database backed up.

Do you know how to import/export from the command line? because there's no way you'll be able to do that through phpmyadmin.

Incase you don't just use this:

mysql -u username -ppassword yourdatabasename < path/to/your/database.sql

No, I'm not too good with databases. Can you be a little more...specific? lmao

Thanks.

well. if you don't have ssh access to your site it won't matter. You need to have console access.

That being said, if you want to ftp the database to one of my servers I can import it ans just make sure that it's working. but I'd hate to send a database full of usernames and passwords to someone that I know from 4 posts on a forum.

You should probably find a host that you want to use. Tell them the problem about not being sure the db is good. Ask them if you can upload it to them and have them verify it. I'm sure they'll do it.

Well I'm really in a bind now. The host just told me that the backup they have is corrupt. I cant fuggin believe this. I have a backup, but like I said, I dont think it's complete. The next closest backup I have is from 1 year ago, which I *think* might be complete.

So right now, there's really no point in me even sticking with this so-called host, since they don't even have my backup. I cant believe this.

I need to find a host ASAP, and I HATE rushing into that, because I want to research them first. But I have to get my site back up, it's been over 5 days now.

Ugh.

Sorry to hear that

Just cross your fingers and hope your backup is good.

By the way, it is Jaguarpc, and they are truly horrible. Complete crooks. I really dont recommend them to anyone. The absolute worst host I've ever been with, period. I'll comment more on them soon, in another thread.

Sorry you feel that way. We're not crooks and that comments a bit harsh. Backups dont always work out and its unfortunate but if you wish to continue your services Im sure we can find a way to compensate you.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Quote Originally Posted by shibby
    By the way, it is Jaguarpc, and they are truly horrible. Complete crooks. I really dont recommend them to anyone. The absolute worst host I've ever been with, period. I'll comment more on them soon, in another thread.
    Ok. Jag is a reg here. No host that is a reg here is going to jeaperdize his rep here by not working out issues with customers that are also here. So give him a chance to work with you and I'm sure it will all be okay. Dont worry, he's not going to mess you up if you are moving. He's not a teen operating out of a basement that would do that.