Question Most Stable Linux OS for Cpanel

I've heard Redhat & I've also heard Cent OS

Who can tell me WITH EXPERIENCE not just Word of Mouth which is better for usage with cpanel?

The general public has been manufactured as a Nation of ventriloquist dummies.

Honestly, based on running a data center with nearly 2000 servers (mostly linux + cpanel)---almost no difference between the two.

I'd go with CentOS for the added security, but functionality-wise....not much difference.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Yes I keep hearing that from the forums but when speaking with my provider he says that Redhat is 3 times more stable.

Red Hat does not even exist as a current operating system, and was replaced with Fedora awhile back.
    Fedora and CentOS are basically just versions of Red Hat, one a test-bed (Fedora), and the other a clone of the Red Hat Enterprise (CentOS).

Either way you choose, you won't have problems, as CPanel is stable on both of them.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

I would use CentOs4.

The one that is setup and properly administrated, will be the most stable.

I'd just go with CentOS 4.0 though. It's proven to be stable, efficient and secure when setup right.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius
    The one that is setup and properly administrated, will be the most stable.

I'd just go with CentOS 4.0 though. It's proven to be stable, efficient and secure when setup right.
    This is the best answer so far. Agree

Another vote for CentOS here. We use it on all servers and have not had any problems with it at all.

CentOS it is then! Thanks people.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET
    Red Hat does not even exist as a current operating system, and was replaced with Fedora awhile back.
    Fedora and CentOS are basically just versions of Red Hat, one a test-bed (Fedora), and the other a clone of the Red Hat Enterprise (CentOS).

Either way you choose, you won't have problems, as CPanel is stable on both of them.
    Actually, Red Hat does exist - as RedHat Enterprise Linux (v3 or 4).
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    Actually, Red Hat does exist - as RedHat Enterprise Linux (v3 or 4).
    I think he was just stating free options.

If that be the case

Seriously,

Free or Not Free

Which is more stable, Redhat (even the not-free version) or CentOS 4?

And yes I hope Redhat Does exist, I live 3 miles from the building. That would be one hella' front.

this is:

"The one that is setup and properly administrated, will be the most stable.

I'd just go with CentOS 4.0 though. It's proven to be stable, efficient and secure when setup right."

Ok, so with CentOS 4, are there any blatent issues that I should be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon2600
    Ok, so with CentOS 4, are there any blatent issues that I should be aware of?
    RedHat will hang up on you if you call them for support of CentOS. Outside of some proprietary driver support in RHEL, that's the only difference.

Eric
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

we've ran into a lot of problems with running cpanel and centos 4.3 64bit, i guess you should stay away from 64 bit centos until cpanel has everything squared away
    Tim M./ Krypt.com a division of VPLS,Inc.
    Find us on Facebook!!
    Office: 866-616-9099 x9090 Fax: 866-599-9593