Question on Domain Transfer

I initiated a domain transfer to namecheap. My domain was originally registered by powweb through Tucows/OpenSRS. Namecheap sent me an email requesting for approval and I approved it of course. Now my whois from Tucows shows the domain status as "pendingTransfer". I guess this is the state the domain takes when it waits for approval from the losing registrar.

I was wondering how long Tucows takes to approve the transfer as a losing registrar? I'm really pressed for time as my site at powweb is virtually inaccessible for about 8-10hrs a day during peak US hours and I want to get out of it as soon as possible.

If anyone with prior experience transferring out of Tucows can throw some light, it'll be reassuring for me.

Thanks .....

I transferred my domain to namecheap from tucows, I remember it being around 24 hours. It will be transferred in due time for sure though.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Quote Originally Posted by HBUG - Staff
    It can take up to 3 days.
    5 to 7 days, actually, if it's not confirmed with the losing registrar ASAP. Do so, it will
    speed up the process.

3-7 days.. sometimes. to transfer it. the losing registrar or losing registrant MUST NOT reply to an email blocking the transfer. you can use temporary url folder or subdomain (if available) to access old website or new website.

3-10 In my experiences, as long as everything is kosher along the way. Hope this helps, thanks.
    Jazzy Host - cPanel Hosting You Can Count on
    Shared cPanel Hosting, cPanel Reseller Hosting w/ WHM, Managed Dedicated Servers
    24/7 Live Support/Quick Ticket Replies, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - Monitored by 3rd Party for you to see
    Great Prices, No Setup Fees, Fast Setup!!

You could change DNS to point to your new host, regardless of whether the domain transfer is complete or not.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

"Time flies when you're having fun"
    - Obviously couldn't have been 24 hours )
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Why do you want to transfer. Doesnt it cost money.

Thanks everyone. My domain got transferred.
    Tucows sent me a mail alerting an outgoing transfer. I had to go to their website to approve it. Approximately 10 minutes after I clicked 'approve', my domain's whois record showed eNom (namecheap's actually registrar).

Why do you want to transfer. Doesnt it cost money.
    I wanted to transfer because I don't want to host my domain with the webhost. I costed me less than $10 and that was applied towards another year of registration. So it doesn't really matter, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sdind

I was wondering how long Tucows takes to approve the transfer as a losing registrar?

Thanks .....
    There is one, exact, answer to this question. It is, according to ICANN transfer policy, Tucows can take 5 full days to approve or deny the transfer. After 5 day the transfer is auto-acked (approved) Many registrars do not manually approve, and therefore the 'pending transfer' period lasts for the full 5 days.

Once the domain is 'pending transfer' status you can ask the losing registrar to 'ACK' the transfer for a quicker transfer. Some, nice, registrars will do that for you :-) Ask nicely, don't demand.

I think you've had many responses in answer to your question. It's true it can take 2 to 10 days. Usually it's in the 5-7 day timeframe. However, simply changing your registrar will not help you much if you are still hosting at powweb. You will need to transfer your hosting out to a new webhost. Preferrably separate from where you transfered your registration.
    Signature Under Construction.