$5/yr domain + free web hosting?

Ok, so I was looking at ASO webhosting since I heard good things about them ( asmallorange.com ), and I was looking at one of their plans. For about 3 bucks a month, you get a domain with 75MB of storage + 3GB of bandwidth. Ok.

But then a thought occured to me. Awardspace has FREE webhosting that gives you MORE storage and MORE bandwidth. They also have full PHP support, no ads, and everything else that I need. They've also had countless excellent reviews ( free-webhosts.com/reviews/AwardSpace.php ).

So then I ask you: What's stopping me from buying a domain from somewhere (about 5 bucks a year) and then use Awardspace hosting for free? What's the advantage of using ASO over them? In fact what's the advantage of using any web host over this solution? You can't beat forty cents a month.

What's wrong with my logic here?!

Quote Originally Posted by fd9_
    What's wrong with my logic here?!
    Shill much?

I clicked the page you linked, and right there I see:

"But there is a max file limit of only 500kb per file, and it has slow FTP connection. :-("

If you really think that paying for hosting will deliver the same service as a free host, then you don't deserve quality hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygarber
    I clicked the page you linked, and right there I see:

"But there is a max file limit of only 500kb per file, and it has slow FTP connection. :-("

If you really think that paying for hosting will deliver the same service as a free host, then you don't deserve quality hosting.
    No, I would not expect the service to be the same quality, but I don't mind the 500kb file limit nor the slow FTP connection.

I think it all comes down to a small risk - it's possible that they can take the website away from me, they may eventually add advertisments, there's probably some missing features, etc...but that's what you get for free and I accept that. I'd just be interested in other people's opinions.
    Last edited by fd9_; 08-30-2006 at 02:24 AM.

If your site is just going to be a personal site, and you don't need good support, good uptime or other features, then go for it! When it's time for a paid hosting solution, just move on.

I am not saying the company you listed above has bad support or poor uptime.. I don't personally know that. I am just saying that if they are making little to no money, there's not much motivation to provide a superior service.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Well a quick look at the site shows you will not get access to following:

SMTP
    Stats
    Support
    SSL
    more than 1 x 10mb SQL database
    Crontab
    Error logs
    Password protection

If you don't need those things, then its probably an ok solution for a small personal website. You may also want to ask what are the server specs and load averages on the free hosting server.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

I think it is important to have 99% uptime guarantee, good bandwith and high connection speed.

I mean what's the point in having top domain while your server is often down, if google will find out your site is down it will kick you out from search results.