Arrow moving to dreamhost or ..?

hi all, i have a site that is on a 100gb transfer plan and this month as of this morning it used up 81gb, i asked my host for upgrade options for bandwidth but there are only plans that are triple the current price i am paying (with only 20gb more bandwidth) and i dont need all the other extra space/feature in the other plans, so either i move or pay alot more... (there were no $?/ extra gb options ... i thought there were)

i have a dreamhost account, the usual $10 a yr, 20gb/1000gb ...i have been using it for hosting large files and as a developement place for my scripts etc. My experience with them are ok, pages load fast, sql fast, didnt know about their email system because i never used it (i heard they were horrible on that). I think when the $10/yr expire i will still renew it to continue to host my files there. They are alot better than netfirms which i also signed up for their $10/yr 20gb/750gb max promotion and all i can say is netfirm suck!...page on their site loads ultra slow and ssh commands were so limited...

Right now i am thinking of moving my site to my dreamhost account. But I am hesitate to do so because my site is a database driven site, i am not sure if it's considered as "sql intensive", it does use a few sql queries on almost every page to generate the content and maybe a few form submission here and there. The total database size from all my database are only 18mb~ (will be increasing). I have an average of 3-4k visitors daily using between 3-4gb bandwidth daily. (it's growing)

What i heard here on WHT from alot of ppl is that dreamhost is good for personal site / blog or things that dont use alot of sql ... and stay away from it if your site is sql intensive ... so i am not sure if i should move there ...

right now i am with hostingzoom, signed up for their 4.95/mo 2 yr prepaid plan. They are very good, in fact they have the best support so far from all the hosts i have been using. i want my site stay there but it would cost me alot to switch to their other plans and the bandwidth gained from other plan isn't much anyway...i asked if i can buy the same plan again and to combine the usage but they said that was not possible ... ...
    i also thought of using my hostingzoom account for remote sql and use dreamhost for my pages ... but i have never done something like that before not sure what's the pros and cons about that

thanks for advice
    Last edited by yyCC; 08-29-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Get a VPS is what i recommend

| | | |**The Top Web Hosts**

Cheap Hosts Quality Hosts Coupons Save $$$

How can you complain about any service your paying $10 a year for 10-20GB...you should atleast be paying $200/Year...

If you try to use even close to the amount of bandwidth they give you they will suspend your account for high resource usage.

Take time to read posts on this forum about overselling, there is no reliable hosting for that cheap...it's not possible for the host to make money if your using that much bandwidth....1000GB (Dreamhost lets say) would cost them atleast $40.00/month...and that's if they have cheap bandwidth like Cogent.

But I am hesitate to do so because my site is a database driven site, i am not sure if it's considered as "sql intensive", it does use a few sql queries on almost every page to generate the content and maybe a few form submission here and there. The total database size from all my database are only 18mb~ (will be increasing). I have an average of 3-4k visitors daily using between 3-4gb bandwidth daily. (it's growing)
    Maybe you can ask Dreamhost directly? They should know better than anyone what their servers can handle or not. Dreamhost also has a forum, and that may be a good place to ask current customers if a site like yours is OK in their shared hosting environment.

right now i am with hostingzoom, signed up for their 4.95/mo 2 yr prepaid plan.
    It's quite nice to hear you were able to push 81Gb off of that account.

why not leave your database(s) at Hostingzoom since there doesn't seem to be an issue with the resource usage and move the webfiles to your Dreamhost account?

VPS is a little out of my budget ... actually what are good ones you recommend? i could at least have a look into that option...

i took the time to read around here that's why i hesitate to move my site to dreamhost, posts on WHT make me think they'll cut me off for "intense sql usage" or make my site slow as hell when i have alot of visitors. I read alot about the overselling stuff before i signed up for dreamhost ... i am not saying i need the entire 1000gb just maybe 200gb plus my site's sql usage ... the way i hear their limitation on resource scares me, yes i should ask dreamhost but probably they'll say yes to everything =|

about remote sql i mentioned it to a friend and he told me it will make my page load slower due to the transfer and communition between the two hosts (???)

thanks for suggestion ...

Still 200GB will probably end up in suspension especially if your using high SQL with it.

You can't expect that for that cheap...200GB costs them $10/month so how could they offer it to you for $10/year?? its not possible. You need to raise your budget, lower your expectations, or ditch your plans.

I think dreamhost dont expect every client of theirs to use up so much.
    I dont even use oevr 200MB for all my sites per mth.

Well, one good thing about DreamHost is they put a number on the CPU usage you're allowed, plus supply you with a CPU-gauge.

So you could get an idea of how much you're using .... after you move, that is....

Well, try asking them.

Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Yeah, right - try asking them. But make sure you get the CPU usage thing very clear. Usually the CPU limit is the catch
    FreeHostia - the Net is free by nature!
    FreeHostia provides both free and paid hosting services with great quality and amazing 24/7 support.

yyCC, hmm, ratemyserver owner?

Anyways, I wouldnt trust dreamhost if your using 81GB a month.
    Although, I use it, I barley go above 20 GIGs a month.

Quote Originally Posted by martint
    yyCC, hmm, ratemyserver owner?

Anyways, I wouldnt trust dreamhost if your using 81GB a month.
    Although, I use it, I barley go above 20 GIGs a month.
    haha how do u know me ... yea it's about that site, i have alot more i can add to it so i need bigger transfer ... the newsletter i got in june/july said they made the CPU limit a soft limit but yea i am still scared ...

i am thinking is 1and1 any better than dreamhost? i didnt hear them kicking ppl as much as dreamhost does ..any idea? their plans obviously are overselling but i have no idea about their performance and how's the cp... i'll use the search function now

(can't edit last post)

actually, looking at the big bandwidth hosts they are all look the same, everybody keep saying "they'll kick you before u use up what u paid for". i wanna hear someone that really got kicked lol i only seen a few ...

anyway, is there any reliable host that has 200gb-500gb transfer and is around $10-$30~ a month or less? well of course with ssh, mysql, etc and possibly cpanel

Quote Originally Posted by yyCC
    (can't edit last post)
    i wanna hear someone that really got kicked lol i only seen a few ...
    Then by all means go for it. It's not like you have anything to lose.

yes i should ask dreamhost but probably they'll say yes to everything =|
    Maybe, maybe not. It's not in their interest to have a resource hog on their servers. It depends on how/if the sales people are rewarded for each sale though.

Well, one good thing about DreamHost is they put a number on the CPU usage you're allowed, plus supply you with a CPU-gauge.
    Last I heard, their CPU abuse policy changed. Basically you're suspended or kicked if you overload the server you're on. Of course, this depends quite a bit on the neighbors you have. If you're the only heavy user on it, the server might cope, if you're the heaviest user out of a bunch, you'll get kicked. But that's how it is on shared hosting with most hosts, right?

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/V8.05_May_2006

Yeah Dreamhost doesn't tell you a certain number or actually limit you by the amount of CPU, they give you an estimate of the amount of time you can use the CPU but any overloading and your gone just like ldcdc said.

anyway, is there any reliable host that has 200gb-500gb transfer and is around $10-$30~ a month or less? well of course with ssh, mysql, etc and possibly cpanel
    the answer is no...your asking for too much bandwidth for a shared environment...if you need to push 500GB you need a dedicated server or a powerful VPS which would cost you in the $60+ range.

i am thinking is 1and1 any better than dreamhost? i didnt hear them kicking ppl as much as dreamhost does ..any idea? their plans obviously are overselling but i have no idea about their performance and how's the cp... i'll use the search function now
    No they aren't any better...read reviews on 1and1 I don't think I've read a positive one yet...

You can't get the bandwidth you want on a shared environment, it may appear possible but it's not, it's just all overselling...you'll never be able to use 500GB on a shared account.
    Last edited by devonblzx; 08-31-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Forget about all the GBs. The issue is CPU. If you are using a lot of GBs on a dynamic/database driven site, then you WILL be using a lot of the CPU. There is not a single cheap shared host who will allow you to do that - unless they have no concern about their other customers or keeping their servers working.