looking for a new host!

Hi all-

Hopefully this isn't too rambling. The short version of my story is that I am dissatisfied with my current Web host, and am in the market for a new one. My main beef is their extremely poor communications skills.

Here are my needs:

*I run a site that has a Wordpress blog and a PHPBB bulletin board. This site averages about 8,000 unique visitors and 20,000 pageviews a day and features a relatively large number of graphic files (gifs/pngs/jpegs, no flash or AJAX stuff). My bandwidth needs are around 4-6 GB/day.
    *I also have three subsites that I run that have several-orders-of-magnitude less traffic (the most trafficed domain gets maybe 1 GB/month of transfer, and that's all over e-mail). Technically at the moment I am a "reseller" with these sites, but two of them are mine and one is my father-in-law's.
    *Altogether I need about 10 GB of disc space, the bulk of which for the main site.
    *All these sites are managed by CPanel and WebHost manager. I would really need a host that could just move the whole shebang over from my current host (I've done this before, so I know it's possible).

Right now I pay $39.99/month for this service, which runs on a shared server. I'd be interested in knowing if its unreasonable to expect to run all this on a nondedicated server. I'd be open to paying more, though hopefully not more than, say $80/month. I understand that I'm not going to get five nines uptime at these prices but what I do expect is to be filled in on problems and given indications of when they are going to be solved. I am in the midst of a 48-hour slowdown in which my site and e-mail have been intermittently down and/or in a degraded state. There has been no attempt from my host to contact me to explain the problem; when I call their service number, I get only a recording saying that there are "server issues" and that there is no ETA for their resolution.

Some months earlier, my host contacted me and told me that I was forking too many PHP processes and would need to stop that or I'd be shut down; frustratingly, he was unable to give me any details that might have helped my diagnosis (i.e, was it a slow buildup or a spike? was it Wordpress or PHPBB that was generating the processes?). While I eventually fixed the problem (I think) by adding a caching plugin to my Wordpress site, his inability to give me any information more specific than a cut and paste of a the output of a top process really left a bad taste in my mouth, but moving to a new host is such a hassle that I had put it off until the current fiasco.

Update: I should add that I've had Bluehost and Hurricane Electric recommended to me.

You might consider moving to a high-end VPS solution. I've been with and their VPS's are lightening fast after some optimization. Since you need 10gb's of diskspace, the shared/reseller envrioment most likely isn't suited for you (as well as the CPU demands). I also used about 6 months ago and they still have a strong reputation.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

How much in total Bandwidth in GB per month do you use? 200 GB?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

This month I'll be a little over a 150 GB. It's been steadily building month over month. I'd like to at least start with 200 GB.

EU - east side
    You might consider moving to a high-end VPS solution.
    This is good advice. By the sound of it, that account is no longer a good candidate for shared hosting.

You may want to find a good Dedicated/ high end VPS because any shared hosting will not habdle that, even if they say they offer 1 TB, they are overselling

| | | |**The Top Web Hosts**

Cheap Hosts Quality Hosts Coupons Save $$$

Pair Networks low-end high volume plan is looking good to me. (Sorry, can't post a link, since I'm new.) Anybody know anything about them?

Sorry, just got another interesting-looking recommendation: ServInt, which offers 300GB transfrer on a VPS for $50/month. Too good to be true? Anyone have anything to say about them?

Well, resellerspanel's semi-dedicated offer (by my understanding, this should be a VPS offer, right?) looks like this:
    40 GB Disk Storage
    400 GB Monthly Traffic
    15% Max CPU Usage
    70 000 MySQL queries/h
    100 MySQL Databases
    150 MB MySQL Storage

Never tried their semi-dedicated server though, I've been using their shared hosting.

You might want to check out Hostgator

You might want to check out what Hostgator has to offer you. They have semi dedicated and dedicated. As far as I know, they are one of those better hosts.

Good luck.

You might want to check out what Hostgator has to offer you. They have semi dedicated and dedicated. As far as I know, they are one of those better hosts.
    I certainly second that.

Northern Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by joetryn

Good luck.
    There may be many other good hosts out there for a VPS, but sure, I have shared hosting with HG and that works for me. Haven't tried any more advanced hosting packages with them though.

Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic