Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    My guess is they'd be just as biased as anyone else. Especially since they're developing their own free office online apps. But you're right in what you're saying I think
    Eh... it's google analytics as a collective. Data from thousands and thousands of sites using google analytics.

Quote Originally Posted by adorno
    Though the article doesn't mention Windows 95, it's possible that there were 1 or more of those users. But, probably not enough to even register as 0.01%.

But, what browser would even work anymore with Windows 95? And what loser would still be using Windows 95? In fact, what software would still work in Windows 95 except those programs from that same era?
    What loser still uses Windows NT, Windows 98, or Windows ME?

My sample size is over 50,000. For Windows, it's ranked:

Windows XP - 86.93%
    Windows 98
    Windows Server 2000
    Windows ME
    Windows Server 2003
    Windows NT
    Windows 95

Windows NT and Windows 95 combine is less than 1%, but there's still people using it. Not going to give you the percentages for the rest. XP just kicks every OS's ***. My XP percentages are a little higher because that's just percentages among Windows OS. Funny though, Windows from my stats represented 97.16% of OSes. Damn, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    Your lack of ability to manage the installation of an application is hardly a premise to use deciding the usability of the product. Furthermore. Any company of any size doesn't just 'switch' major applications. They have network teams, and a security team, and testers, and it takes a LONG time to get a change like that 'blessed'. So my guess is it's a pretty small amount of users.

Open office is WIDELY used, and people aren't just dumping it because they can't install it

My point is that there should be an open mind. I use office and ONLY office and I don't like Openoffice. But I'm smart enough to know that doens't make the product bad.
    I do not remember saying how long the app has been out or how long it took us to switch. Nor did I indicate the size of the company. Hmm... ok...

My guess is you took notice of the use of "I" and decided the president of a “big” company would not be on WHT posting. (In other words, you don't know the amount of users, nor did I post provide any numbers for you to make a guess.... )

My point was that openoffice had some issues that we did not see after moving to Office. It was also a much smoother on the integration level and Office opened other features not available with openoffice.

Personally, I have installed openoffice on many computers and never had an issue.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hycloud
    My sample size is over 50,000. For Windows, it's ranked:

Windows XP - 86.93%
    Windows 98
    Windows Server 2000
    Windows ME
    Windows Server 2003
    Windows NT
    Windows 95
    I have a non-tech site (maybe a handful of tech people visit my site) with more than 50,000 and I get around the same numbers (this is aw stats... close as I can come to any real stats..):

Windows XP 81.50%

Windows NT 0.30%

Windows Me 1.90%

Windows Codename Longhorn 0%

Windows CE 0%

Windows 98 1.80%

Windows 95 0%

Windows 2003 0.20%

Windows 2000 8.70%

Mac OS X 2.50%

Mac OS 0.30%
    2.30%

Unknown 1.90%

Linux 0.30%

WebTV 0%

Symbian OS 0%

If I had a tech site, I'm sure the linux numbers would be more....

it is good for all windows supporters around the globe like me.

Microsoft wins the race

im a unix sysadmin (as mentioned previously), but for me its a matter of horses for courses - although i use linux on my desktop and it works pretty well, i personally have windows on my desktop at home. why? because it does everything i need it to do.

on the server its a different matter - i cant imagine why people would have a windows server, but i know theres quite a few out there so they must be good for something...

i dont see how you can be a 'windows supporter' any more than you can be a 'linux supporter' - each tool should be assessed for the job in hand - if you dismiss anything out of hand, then you're more likely to miss out on the best solution

I am sure Mr. Gates and company..... would trade it all, for just a little bit more.

Go Microsoft!

Linux and apple are not that popular around the world as windoz is. I have never seen anybody using linux or apple outside of the America. Where i am from all the computers are windoz.

ran() {
    I say let microsoft buy one linux flavor and after some tweaking rename it to windows server.
    };

it looks like some mistake and if it is real then Mr.Bill keep it up .
    is solaris is even not at .00000001

Quote Originally Posted by mohamoud
    Go Microsoft!

Linux and apple are not that popular around the world as windoz is. I have never seen anybody using linux or apple outside of the America. Where i am from all the computers are windoz.

Are u mad ? I live in the UK And theres a lot of graphic designers who use Apple Macs

At my college there is about 40% Apple Macs 60% Windows XP machines and Netware Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by osteoarthitis
    it looks like some mistake and if it is real then Mr.Bill keep it up .
    is solaris is even not at .00000001
    id be surprised if solaris (and maybe aix/hpux too) dont hold quite a large % of the server/enterprise market. not necessarily at the levels that the people in here work at (small business/webhosting etc), but so many large server farms use solaris and sun sparc hardware - the mating between hardware and software is so much better than x86 that its a massive benefit to have these when things go wrong...

coming from a linux background, solaris has continuously surprised me with how easy it is to work with, especially when things go wrong (which incidentally is less often than x86 + linux)

Quote Originally Posted by inspired05
    Are u mad ? I live in the UK And theres a lot of graphic designers who use Apple Macs

At my college there is about 40% Apple Macs 60% Windows XP machines and Netware Servers.
    In my design school everyone uses 100% apple. I questioned this and apparently it's for the color accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidey
    id be surprised if solaris (and maybe aix/hpux too) dont hold quite a large % of the server/enterprise market. not necessarily at the levels that the people in here work at (small business/webhosting etc), but so many large server farms use solaris and sun sparc hardware - the mating between hardware and software is so much better than x86 that its a massive benefit to have these when things go wrong...

coming from a linux background, solaris has continuously surprised me with how easy it is to work with, especially when things go wrong (which incidentally is less often than x86 + linux)
    It depends on what demographic you're looking at. but if you're talking big business it's not even close. Microsoft IIS beats Apache 2 to 1 and apache is second place. so you have to go below 23% to get to number 3.

This is regarding the top 1000 corporations. But the result is, it's not a contest at all.

but how many companies run webservers on every machine?

what about the rest of the machines...?

Even small companies and colleges... my old school dumped linux/netware for windows everything... they said it has been much smoother. Even if the admin guys hates windows... I don't know how he got it installed or if it is patched right, but everyone seems happy for a change....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12