Thread: E-mail Servers?

E-mail Servers?

Hi,
    I have recently been interested in learning about how e-mail servers work. Obviously, I'm not particularly knowledgeable at the moment, so I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of any tutorials or articles relating to email servers, and how to set them up?

Basically, what I want to eventually do is provide a targeted e-mail service, eg. they have an e-mail account with a domain name relating to the subject (in this case, a game) and assorted other services, to a niche market (not spam, just personalised e-mail), so any articles about this sort of thing would be a great bonus.

Any idea what operating system this mail server is going to be on? As documentation is different for different OSes.
    If you are using Microsoft Exchange, I will point and laugh for a bit
    If you are using Linux then I can point you to some documentation.
    Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Jedi
    A-Wing Internet Services
    Windows is the path to the darkside...Windows leads to Blue Screen. Blue Screen leads to downtime. Downtime leads to suffering...I sense much Windows in you.

Definately linux

The e-mail system will run on a linux box for sure, and I may buy a commercial e-mail script, and just modify that a bit, but the documentation link would be a great help thanks A-Wing.