Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HostGator doesn't work with FrontPage

Hi - I just moved my domains to HostGator. I am beginning to regret having done so. Their "marketing" page promises FrontPage support, but I have been unable to get FrontPage extensions to work and their support people, after flailing about for more than 48 hours trying to get them to work, can only say this:

Hello,
    I have reinstalled Frontpage extensions on the server for you but please be advised that Microsoft recently released an update which makes publishing with it very buggy. We suggest that you use ftp to upload content to the site as it is guaranteed to work but it is not with Frontpage itself until a bug fix is released. Microsoft has not announced any sort of time frame for an update and we are essentially helpless with publishing problems until this is resolved. While publishing via Frontpage may have bugs, displaying pages made with Frontpage has no known issues if you just use ftp to transfer the files. If you need anything else please do not hesitate to contact support.
    Best Regards,
    Shane
    HostGator Technical Support

This is nonsense, and in any case it makes it impossible to use the forms that my website uses that are created with FrontPage. My website is at www.ashsc.com.

Even my old hosting company (which was no gem) could at least get FrontPage extensions to work.

Is ANYONE here successfully using FrontPage extensions to work on their HostGator-hosted site? If so, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Tim
      0 Not allowed!

Hmm, thats pretty weird. Can you install/uninstall FrontPage Extensions from the control panel, or does host gator manually install this?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Hmm, thats pretty weird. Can you install/uninstall FrontPage Extensions from the control panel, or does host gator manually install this?
    Actually, we have BOTH done this - I have, and they have. Still no help.

- Tim
      0 Not allowed!

I should ask, since you were kind enough to reply: do YOU have successfully-working websites hosted at HostGator that utilize FrontPage extensions?

Thanks,
    Tim
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tcolling
    but I have been unable to get FrontPage extensions to work
    What exactly (in detail) is wrong? Can you not upload? Do you get any error messages?
      0 Not allowed!

The problems:
    1) I cannot connect using FrontPage extensions in order to upload. I get an error message from within FrontPage stating that FrontPage extensions or SharePoint services are not installed on the server.
    2) Even when I upload all the files using FTP, the forms still fail to work. I get error messages when I try to use them from our website stating that FrontPage extensions are not installed on the server.

- Tim
      0 Not allowed!

The problems:
    1) I cannot connect using FrontPage extensions in order to upload. I get an error message from within FrontPage stating that FrontPage extensions or SharePoint services are not installed on the server.
    2) Even when I upload all the files using FTP, the forms still fail to work. I get error messages when I try to use them from our website stating that FrontPage extensions are not installed on the server.

- Tim
    Both are server errors then so really there is nothing we can do to help you, sorry.

I'd give them some time to sort it out, but after you have hit your limit for waiting, move elsewhere. There is no point having an account that you can't use.
      0 Not allowed!

The unfortunate thing is this:
    Microsoft have already issued an End Of Life statement for FP extensions in the linux environment. That is leading to Frontpage being phased out of cPanel indirectly. cPanel have stated that they will only support FP extensions whilst it is possible. With no more patches being issued by MS, FP extensions are one bug away from being dumped by cPanel (and most other panels, I would assume).

If you or HostGator are waiting for a patch from MS, it is not going to come. That would mean HostGator will have to fix it themselves or, if FP is important to you, you'd need to find a new provider.

Here's the statement from Microsoft: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...205221033.aspx

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.
      0 Not allowed!

I should ask, since you were kind enough to reply: do YOU have successfully-working websites hosted at HostGator that utilize FrontPage extensions?

Thanks,
    Tim
    I host my own websites . I've never had a problem installing frontpage extensions through HELM, but I think HostGator has their own control panel (not sure).
      0 Not allowed!

MS is dropping FP support, as a side note, I suggest to search for an alternative, because in a near future this is going to be a problem for you to find a host still offering FP support.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    MS is dropping FP support, as a side note, I suggest to search for an alternative, because in a near future this is going to be a problem for you to find a host still offering FP support.
    Very true. I shall be looking at alternative means for creating forms. I'm going to look at the CGI Email tool that is integrated into the cpanel toolset.

- Tim
      0 Not allowed!

Have them take a look at httpd.conf it could be the frontpage module is not listed. I know because this happened to us once.
    PrimeHost Inc. - Canadian Web Hosting PrimeHost.ca - Canada's Prime Web Host
    █ Reliable Web Hosting for Business and Personal Websites on Canadian Servers
      0 Not allowed!

Let's try to stick to the facts, not fiction.

MS is not dropping support for Frontpage, the product has been discontinued. They will still support it for years on Windows, so how does that mean the OP won't be able to find a FP host in the "near future"?
      0 Not allowed!

So here's the deal, as near as I can figure out:

FrontPage extensions no longer work at HostGator for publishing websites via FrontPage. Apparently if an existing customer published files to HostGator prior to the latest Microsoft patch(es), then those customers' frontpage-dependant forms will still work UNTIL they have to publish new files to the site. At that point they will find that they can no longer publish using frontpage extensions, and will have instead resort to publishing using ftp, and then by using ftp they will disrupt their sites' use of frontpage extensions for their forms. This is pretty much what one of the HostGator telephone support engineers told me a little while ago.

So, at a minimum, HostGator should STOP listing frontpage support as a feature available to new customers. Until they do so, they are MISLEADING prospective new customers, if what the support engineer told me is correct.

Thanks,
    Tim
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YetiHost-Wullie

MS is not dropping support for Frontpage, the product has been discontinued. They will still support it for years on Windows, so how does that mean the OP won't be able to find a FP host in the "near future"?
    FrontPage hasn't been "dropped". Its been replaced with "Sharepoint Designer".
      0 Not allowed!

Microsoft wouldn't make patches that stop FP extensions from working, thats a load of BS. I can flat out tell you that because our servers have every patch installed and FP Extensions still work perfect.
      0 Not allowed!

MS is dropping support to frontpage, they are discontinuing the product, and not offering any kind of support to them, not release patchs or anything like that starting in late 2006.

They are offering instead a new line of product like Microsoft Designer 2007 and Microsoft Expression.

MS stopped supporting FP extentions for Linux sometime ago already.

I don't know what do you considered "near future," but a year for me is "near future". Probably we have a difference on terminology.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

FrontPage hasn't been "dropped". Its been replaced with "Sharepoint Designer".
    Did you read my post? When you replace something with a new software, you discontinue the old one. Frontpage is being discontinued and some of the versions already have been.

Microsoft wouldn't make patches that stop FP extensions from working, thats a load of BS. I can flat out tell you that because our servers have every patch installed and FP Extensions still work perfect.
    You run Windows, which hardly means the patches you install are the same.
      0 Not allowed!

MS is dropping support to frontpage, they are discontinuing the product, and not offering any kind of support to them, not release patchs or anything like that starting in late 2006.

They are offering instead a new line of product like Microsoft Designer 2007 and Microsoft Expression.

MS stopped supporting FP extentions for Linux sometime ago already.

I don't know what do you considered "near future," but a year for me is "near future". Probably we have a difference on terminology.
    MS have a life cycle on their products and they are not dropping support for Frontpage. Even after it is discontinued, they will still support it. Heck, support for Windows 98 was only dropped a few months ago. As long as there are no security or compatibility issues brought to light in the meantime, there is nothing forcing a host to drop Frontpage simply because MS have discontinued it, so the point is that there is no way you can say that the OP will have problems finding a FP host in a year.
      0 Not allowed!

Did you read my post? When you replace something with a new software, you discontinue the old one. Frontpage is being discontinued and some of the versions already have been.
    Have you ever used Sharepoint Designer? If you ever do, you'll notice that its just a new version of Frontpage. Its still part of the Office family, which will remain 100% compatible all the way back to Office 97. When Microsoft came out with Windows XP it didn't mean "omg no more NT"...its just a new version of NT (NT 5.1). Its all part of the marketing. I'm sure there's going to be an updated version of the extensions...most likely called "Designer Extensions" but will be completely backwards compatible as they have always been.
      0 Not allowed!

As long as there are no security or compatibility issues brought to light in the meantime
    We are talking about a MS products how this can be possible? .
      0 Not allowed!

We are talking about a MS products how this can be possible? .
    lol, I actually didn't mean it the way it sounded.

Even after it is discontinued, MS will still release patches for it to plug any security holes that come to light. The patches are available for something like 10 years from the release date / around 2-3 years after it's successor is released, so you are still looking at a decent period of support for it.

It isn't like they just say "It's dicontinued, you're on your own".
      0 Not allowed!

I can't find at this moment (and I was searching it since we started to talk) the article where I read that they were not going to offer any kind of support for Frontpage extentions after descontinue FP, and that they were going to offer only for the new product line.
    Also, they did dropped support for linux frontpage extentions a time ago. (not patch not anything)
      0 Not allowed!

Have you ever used Sharepoint Designer? If you ever do, you'll notice that its just a new version of Frontpage. Its still part of the Office family, which will remain 100% compatible all the way back to Office 97. When Microsoft came out with Windows XP it didn't mean "omg no more NT"...its just a new version of NT (NT 5.1). Its all part of the marketing. I'm sure there's going to be an updated version of the extensions...most likely called "Designer Extensions" but will be completely backwards compatible as they have always been.
    You were the one that commented on me using the word discontinued, I did not say there would not be a new version.

Just to give you a little insight before you reply again about FP being discontinued, please read the following:

After we fully release SharePoint Designer 2007 and Expression Web Designer, FrontPage will be discontinued gradually. This process will bring our customers and partners a broader choice of tools that go far beyond the capabilities within the current FrontPage product to meet the needs of today’s and tomorrow’s Web authors, designers and developers.
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...5Designer.mspx

The product is being discontinued, which is exactly what I said and what you had a problem with. I'd suggest you read the posts again before you try to make out that I am wrong.
      0 Not allowed!

Even after it is discontinued, MS will still release patches for it to plug any security holes that come to light. The patches are available for something like 10 years from the release date / around 2-3 years after it's successor is released, so you are still looking at a decent period of support for it.
    You're right. Plus, the current version of FP extensions for *nix systems works fine. I don't see why so many people are panicing about it.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast