Ugh..Cpanel installs..I had hoped it would improve..:(

Hi!
    Well...I guess I'm just trying to be positive here...but...I thought in one year's time the state of cpanel installs would improve. If the last 24 hours experience has been any indication..I was terribly wrong. Are we to expect installs to fail for no reason other than this monster is *way* more complex than it needs to be? Yeesh.

I'm on try #3 with centos..I'm trying the first try on Debian and Fed5 as i write this.

I had heard from time to time the installers are simply broken..is this something that is going to happening all the time???? Yee-ouchie.

Well...thank goodness for Starbuck's and Extra Strength Tylenol...or I don't think I could cope.

Calgon...take me aaaaaaawwwwwwwaaaaayyyyyyyyy!

Bryon

I've not had major issues on dedi but VPS does need a certain "tweak". What error you getting on it?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Hi!
    I wish it were that easy! No..the problem is WHM is very broken..that infamous "news" error..and thisi s something new..it's locked into the whm setup cycle.
    At first...you would say..hmm...database..but it seems fine...I'm a mysql expert now, though. I figured..ok..I'll look at the logs...but..they are so huge...I just start making lists.

I'll be honest...I got lulled into a sense that things had improved with cpanel by default..few problems installing interworx, webmin, ravencore and dtc (ok..only on deb..but...). We shall see. cpanel install#2 on Fed5 has begun.

Wheee! Sleep? Who needs it?

Bryon

Oh..btw..it looks like the deb install is going very well...I love deb!

Your not hitting resource limits are you as I've seen that break things in mysterious ways. Also Tie::IXHash sometimes gets missed
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I've had a few issues on occasion where the install just loops endlessly, generally I find if you wipe the VPS and then just try the re-install again in a few hours it goes fine. Don't know why... dodgy cPanel install process ? It would be good if they could give you an indication of how far through the process it was i.e. 60% - a progress bar at the bottom would be a good idea.
    BritHostNetwork.com
    Very competitive Shared and Reseller Hosting!

Offsite daily backups | cPanel/WHM/Fantastico
    Now offering VPS!

I'm getting this error when I try to install cpanel:

"Your operating system's rpm update method (yum) was not able to locate the glibc package. This is an indication of an improper setup."

Running Linux CentOS 4.x on a VPS. People have said I have to get an install YUM but I have no idea how/where to do that.

Hi!
    Nope. No resource problems at all. Ah..yes..that Tie::IXHash..we talked about that last year...duly noted.

Oh yes...Yum is no problem at all...I am the master of rpm archives!!! I even have kits of 'em..what Distro do you have?

Just for a change of pace...I'm trying the Perl installer next.

Yes...or at least a "Hey! I have a serious problem here! I'm stopping now...you can fix it..and then restart me and everything will be ducky." Interworx does that...sweet.

I am so glad this is a one-time deal...I ain't gonna be doing this everyday!
    Thank you SWsoft...for making at least one thing a breeze..heck...I don't even use vzctl create much anymore...untar..rename directory..make a conf file in vz-scripts..and the game is on! Woot!

Bryon

Hi!
    Oh! Sorry.. ok..Centos 4.X..you can manually download glibc if you wish.

Here's how it works if you are going to manually shop for rpms:

First step: Find a mirror that has a decent speed..I use duke. They have pine. They are my friends.

http://install.linux.duke.edu/pub/linux/updates/

Ok..we want centos 4..so...

http://install.linux.duke.edu/pub/li...s-4/i386/RPMS/

Ok..no glibc in there..so we check base...
    which is here:
    http://install.linux.duke.edu/pub/li...6/CentOS/RPMS/

Please do not download this monster if you don't have to..I save 'em locally myself.

There are others..that may be optional...but here is the one you need:
    http://install.linux.duke.edu/pub/li...-2.19.i686.rpm

Just cut and paste...that way...you don't have to download those monster directories unless you really want to.

glibc is not on my list..so i don't know what else it might need. Of course..each sytem may be a little different as well.

You are prolly better off getting apt..in my opinion.
    Manually resolve what it needs..and then you should be set.

Trust me..there's a ton of stuff yum can't seem to "find"..I install apt on all my vps's that don't already have it.

And..of course..pico or nano. I'm sorry...vi is a work of the devil.

Bryon

Hi!
    Sorry..long night.

Duke didn't have a extras directory for centos..so..I had to go straight to the source:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/ex...ntos4.i386.rpm

Good luck!

Bryon

Hi!
    Another thing I can share is versions are important..sometimes...esp with things with similar names...like..a recent episode... rpm-python.whatver version.rpm.
    I'm almost 100% sure you have a rpm installed...so you need to check the version#.
    If you have a older version..say..0.24 and the rpm-pthon is 0.26..you're going to have to either find the older rpm-python(not recomended) or upgrade the rpm you have to 0.26 as well. I've never had any problems upgrading...they're designed to do that...for security and bug fix reasons..and of course..adding new features.

As I said apt would take care of that for ye!

Bryon

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.