PHP 5 (difference)

Hello all,
    I have been coding in php 4.x ..... have not looked at 5 at all. Now I am thinking about it.... what benefits would I gain... ( what is new) would any of my apps get affected? any info would be helpful..... mainly looking for what has been discontinued, and what are the best you think in php5.
    same for MySQL.
    Web Hosting Review - Real Reviews by Real People Submit your company and get a link to your site, Read Reviews GET YOUR Voice HEARD and REVIEW your HOST NOW!!! Check out our IT Blog Tips & Tricks

Hi,
    If you have used c and after that switched to c++ there is an easy answer - objects otherwise big difference - php5 is faster uses different function calls. You should rewrite your apps to support php5 but the newest one 5.1.5 supports both php4 and 5 so there should not be a problem migrating. You can stick to php4 until you learn 5 but my advise is - with php6 on the way - just go with the flow and start learning.
    Cheap web hosting
    Any CMS pre-installed
    Joomla Hosting

I've read PHP5 hasn't been publicised enough to be considered stable. It's too early in the release, that's why PHP4 still maintains the highest popularity. Can anybody comment on this? I'm a PHP developer but I've been a little scared to venture into the whole PHP5 scene...

Stable releases of PHP5 have been out since PHP 5.1, which has been a while ago now. The main reason for people not upgrading is because they are not being forced to. As more and more applications get developed in PHP5, you will start to see a bigger push and demand for PHP5.

The reason most people still aren't developing solely for PHP5 is because hosts are not upgrading, so their customers force them to keep PHP4 support, which really counteracts most of the reasons for using PHP5 in the first place. The reason hosts are not upgrading is because some poorly written pieces of software will not work under PHP5 that worked previously under PHP4. All of the well-programmed software will work just fine, however. There is not reason not to upgrade.
    InvoiceMore - Online Billing & Invoicing
    phpDataMapper - Object-Oriented PHP5 Data Mapper ORM

Is there a list anywhere btw?

It's hardly early in the realease. There are (sorta) functional releases of php6 already out. If you don't hurry they could end up missing php5 entirely.

It looks like there are going to be a lot more problems going from 5 to 6 than from 4 to 5 as far as breakage goes.

http://wiki.cc/php/PHP6

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=542590 - that topic might help you a bit

PHP5 started beign released at the end of '03 which was over 3 years ago. People havn't upgraded because they don't want to break apps, which causes the developers not to persue compatability because it isn't in wide use.

Its a catch 22 situation that will only start to get better when people start paying attention. Luckily the PHP5.1.x series has started to catch on a bit.

Exactly, I don't get the hesitation to move. I've been working on moving our applications over and I'm loving the new object functionality, XML facilities, and exceptions. I have had some issues getting PDO going which has been disappointing, but I'm sure that will work itself out in time. I encourage developers to move on the php5 train. I've been very happy with the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce868
    Exactly, I don't get the hesitation to move. I've been working on moving our applications over and I'm loving the new object functionality, XML facilities, and exceptions. I have had some issues getting PDO going which has been disappointing, but I'm sure that will work itself out in time. I encourage developers to move on the php5 train. I've been very happy with the changes.
    Same here, actually we didn't have many problems on our site, most was with the CMS, but it was pretty much easy fixes, IMO it doesn't take long to modify your codes for php5 support, but if you have a lot of files it could of cause i guess, we only have ~200 total, so yea...

I think all programmers should work with php 5, at least if they want maximum effect

We just upgraded to PHP5 from 4.3.x with minimal impact.