30 users in phpbb. Too much load for a resseler account?

Hello,

I have a phpbb which can get up to 30 online users. These 30 usually include search engine bots. Logged in users are rarely more than 10 and never over 15.

It receives about 10.000 pageviews and about 200 new posts every day.

I have a reseller account and the above forum is the only website that receives any significant traffic.

Can such a forum be "too much" for a reseller account?

After being for more than 3 years with that host I was basically forced to leave because my forum was supposedly overloading their 4 CPU server.

Until now I was perfectly satisfied with that host (uptime was excellent, support was fast). Is what they did justified and what most hosts would do? Or should I reevaluate my opinion about them?

Thanks

Well it could be that ur forums is out of date or some other issue like someone trying to hack ur forums or host overloading his server, but i dont think 10 users online would kill or overload server, maybe they got low ram on them.

PHP scripts can cause strain on the server. But 15 users is quite reasonable, I do not see why the host would be having a problem unless they have overloaded their servers.

Who are you currently hosted with?

Maybe you need to find a premium host, or perhaps upgrade to a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom123

After being for more than 3 years with that host I was basically forced to leave because my forum was supposedly overloading their 4 CPU server.

Until now I was perfectly satisfied with that host (uptime was excellent, support was fast). Is what they did justified and what most hosts would do? Or should I reevaluate my opinion about them? Thanks
    We have several PHPBB/vBulletin customers that have more than 20-30 customers being online at the same time, and haven't really noticed a big problem on our servers. It may be that they did not want to take the chance, and finally said you'll have to move to keep their uptime and support fast. It maybe that they are hosting a lot more PHPBB customers with high usage on the same server.

As for it being "right", if it states they can terminate service to you at anytime in their TOS, then yes, it's their right.
    Kaumil P.

You can have the fastest server in the world, but if it's overcrowded then you really aren't getting much of that CPU. Shared or reseller doesn't make much difference. I would find a host that can offer low populated servers and I'm sure you won't have a bit of trouble with your forums until you hit about 50 users at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    I would find a host that can offer low populated servers and I'm sure you won't have a bit of trouble with your forums until you hit about 50 users at one time.
    All it takes is one site to bring a server to a halt. If you have been with them for 3 years, and have not had a problem, just find another host and move on. Reseller plans don't really give you more CPU utilization. Find a host that knows how to balance loads and will help you and give you options if you outgrow the existing infrastructure; instead of just saying "bye".
    Kaumil P.

I have a forum roughly the same size, and I rarely see the CPU go above 10%...
    Your host must be underpowered.
    www.griffinhosting.com

WHMCS Security Plus+ : Addon module with additional security features for WHMCS billing system.

Mods or hacks may be the cause of this problem, a normal VB/PhpBB with no modifications shouldn't affect that much on a server like that.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

You shouldn't have a problem with 30 concurrent users on shared hosting as long as the server is in good shape.

My forum doesn't have any mods that would affect performance. Just some visual things mostly. And the script is just one version behind, I don't think any hackers could be an issue.

I think this is just how this host works. They offer you lots of bandwidth and space to make you believe you are getting a lot, but the amount of resources they allow to you is not analogous.

My forum doesn't have any mods that would affect performance. Just some visual things mostly. And the script is just one version behind, I don't think any hackers could be an issue.

It's been a while since I've used phpBB, but they usually release the next version because of a security vulnerability. I don't know how they do it, but those guys can really code some holes!

It could be that your username kept popping up in when they were troubleshooting a server load problem and they are incorrect. Or like someone else said, it was really causing a problem. If something is wrong in the script or more like a addon module any traffic at all might cause the server to crash, or heavily bog down. With 30 simultaneous users the site would be showing up in top on just about every refresh, but just that wouldn't mean that you were the cause. It would have been helpfull if they would have isolated the site to a spare box to make sure instead of just booting you or provide positive proof so you could troubleshoot it.

"Only one version behind" type thoughts lead to compromised accounts/servers.
    The only reason they release updates is because they need to patch a security vulnerability that hackers can use, so always keep it up to date. Plus who knows, that next update might've had some hidden optimization in there and lowers CPU usage.
    SuperUnlimitedHosting!
    Unlimited Space! Unlimited Bandwidth! Unlimited Domains/MySQL/Everything!
    24/7 Live Support! 101% Uptime - Guaranteed!
    Disclaimer: This does not exist...........yet!

That dosent make any sense to me, I had a forum with 100+ visitors at any given time and the server had absolutly no problem, they must be cutting themselves short, or they are lieing about their real server specs. Also be sure that there arent any errors in the php code, because that could cause unessicary usuage of the cpu, ram, connection, and diskspace
    DJ Anderson
    Need Hosting?
    www.techwebhosting.com

If you didn't change anything, and there's no sign of an odd usage/visitors peak, it may be that they recently changed some settings on the server, or upgraded certain software, and the end result is this overloading issue. Or it may be that they changed their "resources abuse" thresholds.

A forum can bring some pressure to the CPU, we hosted a forum that usually had 40 members online but it was getting high cpu loads, sometimes with 61% peaks. Maybe its not you hosting company being unreasable but some misconfiguration or other issue that is bring the cpu up.

Regards,

Hello,

I have a phpbb which can get up to 30 online users. These 30 usually include search engine bots. Logged in users are rarely more than 10 and never over 15.

It receives about 10.000 pageviews and about 200 new posts every day.

I have a reseller account and the above forum is the only website that receives any significant traffic.

Until now I was perfectly satisfied with that host (uptime was excellent, support was fast). Is what they did justified and what most hosts would do? Or should I reevaluate my opinion about them?

Thanks
    If your host is horrible then it's too much load. If you have a decent host then it shouldn't matter that much.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

18. thats so true it depends on who you use

i would personally say though that if you are willing to spend more you will get a better service.

from past experience i prefer to pay more and get a better service than pay less and not be as good.
    http://www.organicsolutions.eu - The Natural Way To Work Online.

Providing: Web Hosting, Domain Registration, Advertising, and more...

Sometimes you pay more and have the same problem.
    If you know that your site brings up the CPU Usage on the server its important to know how much average cpu your forum uses, after getting this information you should talk to different hosting providers informing them of the resources that you will need, a solution will be found for sure.

Regards,

There is nothing wrong with my forum. Thats their general policy. What they told me is: "Even for our Corporate plan the max users we allow is 30".

I just wanted to know if Forums with over 30 years are indeed so CPU hungry that mosts hosts would not allow them on shared hosting. From what people say here it seems thats not the case.

"Even for our Corporate plan the max users we allow is 30".
    Maybe they're referring to the maximum database connections?

In any case, I know that I would be looking for a way out of shared hosting once my forum would get to 50 users online, especially if I were using a budget host.