Post Guitar Question...

Hello Fellow Web hosting talkers

This time I'd like to address the guitar gurus among you, I need some help.

I've been a gibson fan so far, and got myself a nice les paul and played and played and played.

Now I've discovered Stevie Ray - I'm just in love with the fender models, you see it's a completely different sound than gibson and it is used for blues which is a style I live for

Anyways, I need you to give me some explanation about the different fender guitars, I know there are many types, so what is the difference? I have learned to play Voodoo Chile - the Stevie Ray version and Little Wing and going to play them in a gig I'm about to have, so I'd like to do it on a fender and not on a gibson.

So let me know everything U know about these guitars.

Thanks
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

nice collection got a washburn myself. have fun with whatever u get.
    --
    Rich

Ahhh, the never ending single-coil/humbucker debate. I play a Paul Reed Smith and completely love it. See the reason I got it was to have the flexibilty to have the humbuckin sound that a Les Paul has, but retain the ability to bring out the single coil sound when I needed to. Before I got it I probably looked at 20 strats and teles, and a bunch of Les Pauls. The thing I found about Fenders, any guitar for that matter, was that you have got to sit down and play every one. An American Standard Strat-o-caster (depending on which one you pick up) can sound worse than a cheaper Mexican Squire Strat. It all depends on the guitar obviously. In general however the American built Fenders are the only way to go, if you really buy a Fender. They seem to be built a little more solid than their Chinese and Mexican counterparts. Which models were you looking at?

As far as saying Fenders are built for blues, I would say sure -- but so are Les Pauls. So are lots of guitars. Stevie Ray, Kenny Wayne, southern style Texas hard driving blues -- you are probably right -- maple fingerboard/neck == fast.

Regards,

Jeff

Like Jeffyt said, make sure you play a few different models. Fender makes quite a few Amercian models. If you are a big Stevie Ray fan, check out the SRV model. It is built through the custom shop. You get a high quality great playing guitar. The SRV is built to Steve's specs. It has jumbo frets and the Texas pickups(a little hotter and beefer sounding than stock Fender single coils). Stevie also played pretty heavy guage stings(.011). You should also try a few of the fenders with the lace series of pickups. The lace series are single shaped pickups available with differernt wirings including one similiar to a humbucker sound.

If you are used to Gibson style or set neck style guitars you notice a differance in how a fender plays. The bolt on neck is set at a different angle which puts the string under a little more tension. It is hard to imagine Texas blues without thinking of Fenders. But play what feels and sounds good to you.

have Fun!

Ahhh yes the

blues on either Gibson or Fender cannot be beat. If you go for a Fender do go for the Lace Sensor pickups you will never look back. Or if you want the real beefy Texas sound ie: ZZTop look around for an old Sears Silvertone the ones that used to come with case and built in amp. Steal the lip sitck pick up out of it and put it in as replacement for the bridge pick up in a Fender strat, there is a sound you can only get from one of those.

Gibson's? To me there is no way to beat the wail of a Les Paul listen to a little Gary Moore, try "still got the blues", that is pure LP Humbucks played by a master.

Blues is not in the guitar but in the man holding it.

Dang I have to get away form this puter someday and start palying again.

Monte

Gary moore got no soul, the music is ok but for blues ok - is as good as bad.

Steve Ray on the other hand got more soul than any other player I've heard - and I really prefer his sound - tin pin alley is what I try to achieve in terms of sound.

Fender discussion forum:
    http://www.fenderforum.com/
    Deb Suran
    Musical Instrument Makers Forum - http://www.mimf.com

Here is a guitar some guy wants to sell is me - what do you think? it's American Strat - made in america ))

one pickup was replaced for better distortion - and it's in tip top condition.... what do you think?

Any advice about the questions I should ask him? I already asked the standard questions regarding neck pickups etc. anything original?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jun12$31.jpg  

The best way to judge an instrument, especially a stringed instrument, is to play it. Are you in different towns? If you are, you might just want to wait and find a local seller instead. If the price is just too good to pass up, then, ask for a trial period or something so that you can play the guitar first, and see if it will suit your style. Who knows, he might even go for it...

Good luck...I love buying new toys to play with...have fun...