Server reboot. How long should it take?

I have a virtual managed server over on Webmasters.com and I am currently waiting for the server to reboot. It has been over an hour with this message:

Your server is being rebooted right now and is currently undergoing a critical File system scan.

I have 20 sites hosted on this server with about 10 gigs of data. Just how long should something like this take? Just had this happen last month with a reboot time of over 2 hours right during prime time.

Maybe it's time to move on to another server.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman2k
    I have a virtual managed server over on Webmasters.com and I am currently waiting for the server to reboot. It has been over an hour with this message:

Your server is being rebooted right now and is currently undergoing a critical File system scan.

I have 20 sites hosted on this server with about 10 gigs of data. Just how long should something like this take? Just had this happen last month with a reboot time of over 2 hours right during prime time.

Maybe it's time to move on to another server.
    The "critical file system scan" can take a few hours - get comfy.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Yeah, if it keeps happening it may be time for a new drive. It could take many hours depending on how much data there is.

I just endured one of these last month. Is this a sign of a dying server?

The critical file scan can alert a a drive going bad, to be on the safe side I would recommend having it changed as soon as possible to avoid any dataloss.

Exactly stated above a critical scan is a sign of things to come. Usually means power was loss to the server or a crash occurred to the server. And yes it can take a few hours depending on the size of the drive so sit back and get a drink and pray it comes back up.

If it finds an error, it attempts (usually successfully) to fix it. YOu need switch to new one as you are facing this problem frequently.

Usually it should be done within few mins, but as others said file system scan sometimes takes HOURS at least... so u should give them sometime.

FSCK isn't usually done in a few minutes, I would have them check the drive and make sure it isn't going bad, and/or replace it.

Well guess what? They are replacing the HD as we speak. So maybe I should just take my phone off the hook until they are done.

The sad thing is it had just come back online and I would have gladly waited until late tonight for them to replace the hardware. Nothing like being down in primetime!