Thread: cPanel?

cPanel?

How security vulnerable is cPanel?

it is safe
    Arvixe.com support agent
    Linux/Windows Hosting, Shared/Reseller Plans, VPS Solutions
    Great support and uptime, reasonable prices
    http://www.arvixe.com

put it this way, no one would use it if it was crap. and it is one of, if not the most popular control panel.

Its the most commonly used hosting control panel as its easy to use and very safe and always being developed further

Quote Originally Posted by daveredfern
    put it this way, no one would use it if it was crap. and it is one of, if not the most popular control panel.
    popular ! = best

Also, in many people's opinion it is indeed crap when compared to complete hosting automation solutions such as H-Sphere.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by XHIServices
    Its the most commonly used hosting control panel as its easy to use and very safe and always being developed further
    cPanel has had several security vulnerabilities. I wouldn't necessarily call that 'very safe'. As far as easy to use, the current skin in 10.8 is horrible, and even the new one in 12 isn't that great and in some cases just plain ugly. cPanel doesn't know how to do design. As far as developed further, not many new features have been added as of late. You'd think they'd be concentrating on fixing bugs, but in reality they haven't been at all. Just check out their bugzilla and you'll see how much they have yet to do.

Please, if you really want to say that cPanel is a good control panel, back it up with good reasoning...(if you can find good reasoning ).
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    cPanel has had several security vulnerabilities. I wouldn't necessarily call that 'very safe'. As far as easy to use, the current skin in 10.8 is horrible, and even the new one in 12 isn't that great and in some cases just plain ugly. cPanel doesn't know how to do design. As far as developed further, not many new features have been added as of late. You'd think they'd be concentrating on fixing bugs, but in reality they haven't been at all. Just check out their bugzilla and you'll see how much they have yet to do.

Please, if you really want to say that cPanel is a good control panel, back it up with good reasoning...(if you can find good reasoning ).
    I am pretty sure that cPanel would have less bugs and is more advanced than most custom made control panels. cPanel has been developed for years, so IMHO I believe that although it is a pain in the butt to administrate, it is still the most popular and widely used control panel today.

often using cPanel will attract people to purchase your hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by FR-Alex
    I am pretty sure that cPanel would have less bugs and is more advanced than most custom made control panels. cPanel has been developed for years, so IMHO I believe that although it is a pain in the butt to administrate, it is still the most popular and widely used control panel today.
    I am not referring to the use of a custom control panel. I am talking about H-Sphere. Check out www.psoft.net. With H-Sphere and intelligent infrastructure, you can actually create a 100% uptime setup. (servers accross two data centers / networks). cPanel is old news.

Quote Originally Posted by daveredfern
    often using cPanel will attract people to purchase your hosting.
    Not if you explain to them exactly why cPanel is crap and your control panel is better. If you can offer a 100% uptime solution across geographically displaced, load balanced servers, do you not think people are going to want your hosting? cPanel and H-Sphere are two different beasts, but they are often used for the same purpose.

So far none of you have given me a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0

the cPanel X theme and bluelagoon themes are awesome in my opinion.

i think RVSkins are ugly but hey

Quote Originally Posted by Omega-Mark
    the cPanel X theme and bluelagoon themes are awesome in my opinion.

i think RVSkins are ugly but hey
    I agree, I don't like any of the rvskins except the lightblue (with the text links) but some argue that it would look better with icons...so there you have it...

The cPanel X theme isn't that great - I do not like the icons...some of the styling is out of date, etc. - the bluelagoon looks too old as if it was created before CSS was available...which means it looks quite old.

Don't get me wrong people. I manage a large fleet of cPanel servers. I've delt with all of the bugs, etc. It's not fun. Customers end up with corrupted cPanel files, statistics don't update properly and even when forcing an update it doesn't work...we ended up creating our own script to do this...the DNS is sometimes out of sync, when a record is deleted it isn't necessarily deleted on the DNS cluster too (we've seen this)...and this just results in more tickets asking to manually remove DNS zones...those are just a few things and let me tell you it isn't fun.

H-Sphere has very few problems and you will have very few tickets when compared to a cPanel setup.