Thread: Heatsinks...?

* Heatsinks...?

Alright well I came to WHT to get a problem solved. I have a couple of dual opteron 252 systems with 2 gb of ram in a 2u case that I have assembled. However, even with Artic Silver and 2u Heatsinks that are still pushing nearly 60 degrees at normal load which is way to hot. I haven't used the case and heatsink combo before so I cam here for suggestions on other heatsinks. Since when I take the lid off the temperatures drop to around 45-47 degrees on normal load I think the heatsinks are having a hard time grabbing enough air with the small gab between the lid. Can some one suggest some good heatsinks for my dual opteron 252 system in this 2u case(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811138061)

I am currently using these from PLINK USA

(http://www.plinkusa.net/weba41.htm)

Any suggestions are welcome. The most affordable, but most effective solution is needed.

Jordan

I recommend using the 4 heatpipe version AMD original Heatsinks... they are about the best you will find. The clearance between the top of the case and fan will be rather close... but I haven't found it to be a problem in my Chenbro RM21706 cases.

You can often find them on eBay in perfectly good quality. Like here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AMD-Athlon-6...QQcmdZViewItem

I use them in my dual 252/254 machines with Chenbro RM21706T cases and they work great.

I had the desision between the AMD heatsink mentioned above and the Dynatron A64G mentioned above a few weeks back. I wasnt willing to take the risk of the small gap on the AMD and the lid so got the dynatron ones. Cost me £50 for 2 and delivery but was very happy with the desision.

Keeps em nice and cool remember the A64G ones are a different design as they dont blow up So no worries for the room difference.

-Chris

Just to add, I was also going to use the heatsink you list there, the (plink one)... quite glad I didnt now

Thanks for all the responses thus far. I am going to mess with these a little, otherwise it looks like I will be buying new heatsinks.

So Far I have been recommend:

1. Dynatron A64G
    2. Cooljaq SFO-D 2U
    3. Stock AMD 4 Pipe

Can anyone else comment on their experience of these heatsinks, recommend any other advice, or recommend any other quality heatsinks? Your input is appreciated.

Note: Thanks for the tip [email protected]

Thanks,
    Jordan

5. AMD factory 4x heat-pipe retail HSF (the one bundled with Opteron 1xx dual-core) by itself is an excellent cooling unit in 3U/4U/tower. but in 2U, the clearance between top of cooling fan and the bottom of the chassis covers is just too darn tight, therefore it's not really desirable 2U. the side-flow fan from Dynatron/Cooljag can definately cool Opteron dual-core better than AMD stock fan!

BTW, the retail fan bundled with Opteron 2xx dua-core come with 2-pipe only because Opteron 2xx runs cooler than 1xx.

Thanks for the reply once again Apaq. I think I am just going to take your word on this one and go for one of the two side cooling heatsinks. If you had your choice of the two which would you pick and do you have any recommendations on where to buy?

Thanks again,
    Jordan

Fwiw, the current system temps on my dual 254 machine are:
    Ambient 34deg, CPU1 42deg, CPU2 40deg. According to my Supermicro H8DC8 mobo sensors.

That might not be the greatest... but it's acceptable for me... and for $19ea it's been worth it.

There's obviously something to be said for the design where your fan isn't blowing directly into a "wall"... it obviously makes a lot more sence.. but from what I'm reading the other types seem to be a bit more expensive.

I'd be interested in seeing sensor readings for other types if ppl have them.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave
    Fwiw, the current system temps on my dual 254 machine are:
    Ambient 34deg, CPU1 42deg, CPU2 40deg. According to my Supermicro H8DC8 mobo sensors.

That might not be the greatest... but it's acceptable for me... and for $19ea it's been worth it.

There's obviously something to be said for the design where your fan isn't blowing directly into a "wall"... it obviously makes a lot more sence.. but from what I'm reading the other types seem to be a bit more expensive.

I'd be interested in seeing sensor readings for other types if ppl have them.
    Chenbro and Supermicro have excellent inerternal air flow, so stock fan may works fine in them. but OP is using a generic 2U chassis w/poor air flow design, he definately needs all the good cooling he can get......

You could upgrade the chassis fans as well. Get some acrylic and fab a wind tunnel...

I like the dynatron stuff myself. Cooljag failed a few more times on me. just my experience.

I am just coming back to thank everyone for their input. It was greatly appreciated. In the end, I went with [email protected]'s recommendation and bought a pair of Dynatron A64Gs. Just put them in today and it has dropped nearly 20 degrees with the lid on. It idles about 45 degrees and for me this is exceptable.

Thanks again everyone!
    Jordan