Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by suthanworld
    Bluehost is great in customer service and web service.....The only problem with them is just the cpu usage error. The rest were cool. I used to be with them. Now I am with Siteground. Some of the disadvantages of siteground are no addon domains, and you can set the permission level of files/folders to max of 755
    I asked siteground and you can have 5 addon domains on their 4.95 package.
    But that permission level is bad.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Nadabrahma
    or give you any means of monitoring it easily.

You could change hosts, but may well have the same issue again.
    If they could tell me what i need to do so that it doesn't happemn i would be grateful as i have deleted hooks, hacks and even a 3rd site that i had just opened about 3 months ago and still getting the probem, that is what is so frustrating Not Knowing How I Can Stop The Error Message in The 1st Place.
    The thing With BH are that they ae a good Company when they want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadabrahma
    teepeg, I would be grateful for those low CPU limits, since they ought to safeguard the overall performance of the servers....

Thing is, no host can allow the CPU usage to run rampant on a shared account. Problem is, usually the host doesn't specify how much an acceptable usage is, or give you any means of monitoring it easily.

You could change hosts, but may well have the same issue again.
    Well that depends, go to a host that doesn't run off a Dedicated Celeron or P4 box and you'll be good!

Unfortunately many hosts think that "oh its just hosting, I don't need that much processing power or ram". It's just something that should be done right from the start!

When you pay $x you can expect ~$x worth of CPU. When the host you're with sells very cheap hosting (high space and data transfer allowances), one place where they can reduce the costs without it being easily seen by potential customers is the CPU limitation.

Anyway, the more you pay, the more percents of CPU power you can be allowed to use. It's no guarantee, but it's a reasonably safe bet IMO.

Well that depends, go to a host that doesn't run off a Dedicated Celeron or P4 box and you'll be good!
    I'm not sure I understand the argument. A high end server can be overloaded just as a low end one can. It all goes back to proper management.

go to ev1servers.net, ev1.net, serverprovider.com or isprime.com and choose a dedicated server or vps (vpn) hosting.
    you gotta test it. usually vps hosting is much cheaper but maybe its not enough for you. or go to google or yahoo and type in dedicated server or shared hosting or vps hosting or vpn host or vps host and such.

<< Please set up signature in profile >>
    Last edited by the_pm; 09-01-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Basically - go with a better host, that doesn't oversell as much. Oversellers usually have more customers on the 1 server because they can fit them in.

IMO - small hosts are better, they actually care for your service, rather than something like dreamhost, with their 20GB space, 1TB bandwidth for $8 a month, probably have thousands of clients for that plan alone, and don't honestly care if 1 guy quits because they have so many left.

Choose carefully, research helps, spend some time choosing as well.
    Last edited by bear; 09-01-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizi
    Basically - go with a better host, that doesn't oversell as much. Oversellers usually have more customers on the 1 server because they can fit them in.

IMO - small hosts are better, they actually care for your service, rather than something like dreamhost, with their 20GB space, 1TB bandwidth for $8 a month, probably have thousands of clients for that plan alone, and don't honestly care if 1 guy quits because they have so many left.

Choose carefully, research helps, spend some time choosing as well.
    Very well said

Oversellers usually have more customers on the 1 server because they can fit them in.
    I can agree with the hypothesis, but I don't understand the demonstration. Or rather, if they can fit them in, where's the negative side of overselling?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    So, are you suggesting that this is what the Bluehost servers have?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    I can agree with the hypothesis, but I don't understand the demonstration. Or rather, if they can fit them in, where's the negative side of overselling?
    I'll expand -
    Oversellers can fit more clients on 1 server because they are overselling (re-selling) the space that isn't used, therefore where the server would get full at say 100 clients, they could possibly fill it up with 500 clients (if the plans were ridiculous and the clients used piss all space).

The negative side being - if you chose to use all your space, you wont be able to. Not only that but the possibility of overloaded servers, high CPU loads, potential downtime, and if the host is stupid - lots of clients and very little support hours -> long response times.

Overselling is a bad practice, you never know when the client will choose to use all their allotted quota, overloading servers to their breaking point makes it unstable, any downtime is bad downtime, especially if it was caused from the server being overloaded due to overselling.

Most hosts oversell, but only some oversell in moderation, which is OK.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12