Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a new host

I am looking for a new host that has as much to offer as Bluehost do other than their low CPU limits I currently run two sites and want the same when i move. Can anyone recommend a good host that don't have these low CPU limits.

Thanks in advance.

Pay more get more. You pay a premium to use more cpu usage because it's one of the biggest limits in webhosting from a provider standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by teepeg
    I am looking for a new host that has as much to offer as Bluehost do other than their low CPU limits I currently run two sites and want the same when i move. Can anyone recommend a good host that don't have these low CPU limits.

Thanks in advance.
    Did they tell you what the CPU usage was with your existing site?

Quote Originally Posted by VP-Kaumil
    Did they tell you what the CPU usage was with your existing site?
    No, what they said when i tried to find out what was going on was this:

To see the processes that were running at the time of exceeding the cpu quota you can check out the cpu_quota_exceeded logs in the 'tmp' directory within file manager. This will show you what was running and what could possibly be causing the issue.

I got my son to look at this problem for me as it is a little over my head, he gave this report:

Currently SAR is reporting that there is a lot of user activity (20-30%) and a lot of IOWAIT (30-50%). I also checked out what TOP was reporting while I was logged in and none of the processes that are in the top 20 (minus my TOP command) are user processes, they are all system processes. The biggest hitters seem to be mysql and php, as well as processes with user names of numbers, like 554, 1256 etc

Quote Originally Posted by VP-pixelized
    Pay more get more. You pay a premium to use more cpu usage because it's one of the biggest limits in webhosting from a provider standpoint.
    I am on the top premium at the moment with Bluehost

I was referring to your new host. ie you should expect to pay more for a plan that allows more cpu usage with similar space and transfer limits.

You could also try negotiating a better plan with bluehost.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelized
    I was referring to your new host. ie you should expect to pay more for a plan that allows more cpu usage with similar space and transfer limits.

You could also try negotiating a better plan with bluehost.
    Ok sorry my misunderstanding.
    Yes i don't mind paying for more, i was made to believe that this is all that Bluehost allow full stop.

How busy are your sites?
    Some providers consider average CPU usage for 24 hours, not at anytime.
    Some websites can hit 20% cpu usage a few times in a day but the avarage is still ok.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost
    How busy are your sites?
    Busy in what terms? in members each have 400 with quite a few active on each, one growing pretty fast.
    In terms of Hacks, mods, plugins etc i have a few on each, this CPU thing has just started, no new mods have been added for months.

Do you run a TGP or something similar?
    TGP tend to use many IO waits because of the large numbers of thumbnails that it have to "pick" up to show the page.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Since last night i haven't had this again? The last email i recieved was to tell me that this query was being moved to level 3.

Hello,

Do you have any idea of the daily average cpu usage of your sites?

I ask this because you can get some peak but it is also important to have an idea of the average.

Regards,
    www.hostingbug.co.uk - Hosting BUG - UK
    - WebHosting Services and Domain Name Registration -
    Sales Department::: sales@hostingbug.co.uk - 30 Day Money back guarantee + 24/7 support

Quote Originally Posted by HBUG - Staff
    Hello,

Do you have any idea of the daily average cpu usage of your sites?

I ask this because you can get some peak but it is also important to have an idea of the average.

Regards,
    No i don't, but the whole server status from BH was showing into the red when i was getting these messages, anyway i hope now they have sorted it.

I would stick with smaller hosts, e-mail / live chat/ call sales and ask them what kind of servers they're running -- if they're pretty top notch then you shouldn't be having problems with this.

Good luck with your hunt.

You may need to consider upgrading to a VPS or a dedicated server if your sites are using a lot of server resources.

Quote Originally Posted by SQNWK
    You may need to consider upgrading to a VPS or a dedicated server if your sites are using a lot of server resources.
    But they are not!! nothing has changed my side for months, other than more members..
    remember, logging in to putty showed i was using nothing?

Currently SAR is reporting that there is a lot of user activity (20-30%) and a lot of IOWAIT (30-50%). I also checked out what TOP was reporting while I was logged in and none of the processes that are in the top 20 (minus my TOP command) are user processes, they are all system processes. The biggest hitters seem to be mysql and php, as well as processes with user names of numbers, like 554, 1256 etc

Sorry for asking you again, but do you run a TGP or a gallery or anything with many thumbs on it?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Exclamation

Bluehost is great in customer service and web service.....The only problem with them is just the cpu usage error. The rest were cool. I used to be with them. Now I am with Siteground. Some of the disadvantages of siteground are no addon domains, and you can set the permission level of files/folders to max of 755

NTC hosting says something about 3% CPU usage in my control panel. I don't know if that means I'm alloted 3% or if I was using 3% of my total allotment. But I've been using them for 5 yrs now and have enjoyed everything about them.
    Finding options is easy. Making decisions... not always so.
    http://www.WebHostComp.com
    The Ultimate Web Hosting Search Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Sorry for asking you again, but do you run a TGP or a gallery or anything with many thumbs on it?
    Yes i have a photo gallery for the past 9 months, with less than 200 pictures in.

If the photo gallery automatically resizes pics, that may be the CPU issue. In any case, you still shouldn't be kicked off for the kind of usage you have. I would look around, many hosts tend to not over-populate their servers.

Good Advice, Thank You!

There are some hosts that offer plans on very low saturated servers for high CPU demand customers. If you have a host you like, and you don't see that option, ask. Just be careful since some sales people will say "Oh yea, we can handle that..." and not have a clue. They just want the sale, and assume you wouldn't actualy use what you asking for.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by teepeg
    Yes i have a photo gallery for the past 9 months, with less than 200 pictures in.
    That shouldn't be a problem, I asked because if you run a big TGP probably the thumbs for the gallery would it be the reason of the high IOWAITS.

24. What requirements do you need for your hosting?
    http://www.organicsolutions.eu - The Natural Way To Work Online.

Providing: Web Hosting, Domain Registration, Advertising, and more...

teepeg, I would be grateful for those low CPU limits, since they ought to safeguard the overall performance of the servers....

Thing is, no host can allow the CPU usage to run rampant on a shared account. Problem is, usually the host doesn't specify how much an acceptable usage is, or give you any means of monitoring it easily.

You could change hosts, but may well have the same issue again.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast