Trying to decide between three hosts...

Right now I'm on a basic reseller account with ResellerZoom (a part of HostingZoom) but want to move into a shared hosting for now. I originally got on the reseller account because I was planning on developing sites for people/businesses/etc and just hosting them on my reseller account. Well I've changed that idea and now I'm more or less developing sites for myself. Anyway, what host do you use? I'm not good with knowing how much space/bandwidth would be "enough" so to speak. Then I'm a little afraid of the hosts that offer a lot for cheap even though I've read good reviews. What I'm looking at right now are these hosts:

1. textdrive.com

2. hostingzoom.com

3. hostgator.com

I know TextDrive is very good and reliable but I'm not sure about the space/bandwidth? I mean how big of a site could you run with their basic shared plan?

On the surface, I'm wanting to go with HostingZoom's shared plan as they give you 5Gb of disk space and 100Gb of bandwidth which is great for 4.95 a month and is a lot more space/bandwidth than even TextDrive's Shared 3 plan.

Then there is HostGator which I was looking at for the 9.95 plan and it's similar to HostingZooms plan, but not quite as much bandwidth.

I just have no concept of how much traffic it would take to use up 100GB of bandwidth? I mean is that more than enough to occupy a HUGE site? The only thing I'm worried about with them is if my site(s) do start getting a lot of traffic and I go over the limits for the basic shared plan at HostingZoom they really have no inbetween for that plan and their semi dedicated plan. Its 5 bucks a month and then it jumps up to 65 a month for semi dedicated. Seems they might have some plan inbetween the two there.

Anyway, any help you can provide me would be great! Maybe textDrive's space/bandwidth would be way more than enough for a large site (which my site isn't, just hypothetically speaking here for future).

Thanks

I used to be with hostgator, suffered some downtime and the support wasn't up to scratch, i would say don't go with them

kygolfer,

I found this thread this afternoon (now on the second page here on WHT):

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=541947

It helped me get a feel for storage and bandwidth usage and potential needs.

You might also look at the plans in the Offers section on this site. After clicking on member URLs and looking at the offers, I've found a couple hosts that might work out well. I'll be posting looking for reviews. hostgator is one I'm looking at too. Some hosts offer custom plans - you can get one based on storage and bandwidth that you specify, so maybe you can find someone that will offer something between 5 and 65!

Good luck.

Aprox, how much space and bandwidth do you need?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I've had a good hosting experience with Hostgator so far.

That being said, if you've been satisfied with Resellerzoom/Hostingzoom's service, I would stick to this company. Should you enjoy such great success with your sites, selling some advertising space on your sites should be more than enough to cover your hosting upgrade costs, if done right.

Jedito:

I don't know as my site isn't online yet. Really all my questions are just "what if" type questions if my traffic did pick up once the site is done. I just have no concept of how much traffic it would take to use up 3GB, 10GB, or even 100GB of bandwidth. HostGator says that a rule of thumb is 100,000 visitors will equal 1GB of bandwidth. I'm kinda stuck between HostGator and Hosting Zooms shared plan. HostingZoom (who I'm with now for a reseller account w/no problems) has their 4.95 plan with 5GB of space and 100GB of bandwidth per month which I know for a new site is WAY MORE than enough, but I'm wondering if it's enough down the road and it's hard to foresee the future, I know. I will also have (hopefully) more than one site up and running eventually, so it might not be enough then. Plus it doesn't say anything about hosting more than one domain on their semi-dedicated plan like it says "6" domains on their basic shared account. (Although I'm sure you can, it would be pretty dumb if not) What I'm ultimately trying to avoid here is bouncing back and forth between hosts. I want to get with someone and stay with them (unless I just get screwed). It's to much work to transfer files and sites to new servers. Hosting Zoom's 4.95 just looks really good as it's more or less the same plan as HostGator's 14.95 plan. But I've heard great things about HostGator's support and the live chat looks appealing.

Dan:

Thanks for the advice for sticking with HostingZoom. Although I am considering HostGator really close.

If you already have a hosting account and some traffic, log in cpanel, take a look at this month's data transfer/"bandwidth" usage, and then look for the web stats icon. Check what webalizer or awstats say about your site's traffic for the month: unique visitors, page views etc. You can now draw a rough conclusion regarding the data transfer usage per visitor or page view, for your site.

5 GB of space and 100 GB of bandwidth is more than enough for most the people.
    Unless you're going to use it for file download or image download, I don't think that you should worry about the usage of the banwdith.
    Honestly, 100 GB is A LOT! take in mind that the average page (with images include) use 70/80 Kb, with that being said, with 100 GB you have bandwidth enough for 13,107,200 visits per month
    Is that enough?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    5 GB of space and 100 GB of bandwidth is more than enough for most the people.
    Unless you're going to use it for file download or image download, I don't think that you should worry about the usage of the banwdith.
    Honestly, 100 GB is A LOT! take in mind that the average page (with images include) use 70/80 Kb, with that being said, with 100 GB you have bandwidth enough for 13,107,200 visits per month
    Is that enough?
    I completely agree, some people don't realize how much bandwidth they're really buying -- thats how overselling works . Everyone just wants more.

If you go with HostGator or HostingZoom, you should be happy.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad4
    If you go with HostGator or HostingZoom, you should be happy.
    Agreed.

When I hosted with them at seperate times, each time was a success. Great companies with great staff. Can't go wrong with either one and it seems you've done a fine job searching.
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

HostingZoom would probably suspend your site if you used 100GB/month at $4.95/month...they'd just be losing money on you. Their using a technique called overselling so don't actually think you can use that much for that cheap. It's just not possible or reasonable seeing a host would never want to lose money on customers.

I have used both Hosting Zoom (Reseller Zoom, a division of HZ) and Host Gator.

I recommend Hosting Zoom, they just made a beter impression on me and i liked their control panel and stuff better
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••
    | | | |**The Top Web Hosts**
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Cheap Hosts Quality Hosts Coupons Save $$$

Thanks everyone for your input!

I did speak with HostingZoom sales/support today via their live chat (which is very good by the way). After the responses I've got here I realize that one site of mine will never use up 100GB of bandwidth per month. But I do plan on having more sites eventually (around 6) so that might be where the problem comes in at for HosingZooms basic shared account. One thing that makes me not want to go with HostingZoom is the fact that you can host 6 domains on their basic shared account and then if your 6 sites gets to be to big for that you'll have to go to their semidedicated account which I found out only allows one domain per plan, so being that it's 70 bucks a month, and I've got 6 sites (eventaully) that's a lot of money a month. I dont' want to get on the basic plan, then down the road realize that my 6 sites or whatever I have are using up all the resources available then have to again switch hosts.

HostGator actually allows unlimited domains on all of their shared and semi-dedicated plans except for the basic one, so I like that!

One other site I was looking at for hosting was Site5 which really seems great and I've heard good things, but to get the best deal you have to do the 2 year contract and pay everything upfront. Although you save money I don't have 240 bucks to just throw into it at this particular time for their "Gold" plan. I know they have one step lower than Gold, but the Gold has unlimited domains where at the Silver, just one.

Again, thanks for the thoughts on this.

Who did you end up going with?

Not decided yet although I think I've narrowed it down to HostGator and Site5. I think at this point I am leaning more toward Site5 and I'll just pay the couple dollars extra to be able to pay each month rather than signing a two year contract for 300 up front. I've heard really good things about them too. Although on the surface, it looks like Site5 has their own admin interface, and not cpanel...which I'm used to cpanel so that might be a downfall. I'm doing more research on this though.

EDIT: hmmmm...Maybe not after reading some of the posts here: webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=539667&highlight=Site5
    Last edited by kygolfer; 08-28-2006 at 01:25 PM.

I would definitely not choose Site5... I know a fellow right now who has a dedicated box with them and it's been hacked to hell so many times it's unreal. He runs a forum and every time the box gets hacked the forum spreads viri and he puts in a ticket and nothing EVER gets done about it...we're talking MONTHS going by.

Yeah, thanks for the thought. After reading more reviews I had already decided against Site5. I believe I'm going with HostGator.

Thanks everyone!

I'm right there with you...signed up for HostGator last night and am moving my sites to them now, looking awesome so far. May The Force be with us!

HostingZoom all the way. Great company, great support, very little downtime.

hmmm...I found www.asmallorange.com and they are also looking very promising.

I've been looking at gator for reseller hosting.... I've been hosted with NTC hosting for various sites for the last 5 years or so, but they don't do any reseller that I know of. Did you end up reseller with gator? Let me know of your experiences...
    Finding options is easy. Making decisions... not always so.
    http://www.WebHostComp.com
    The Ultimate Web Hosting Search Engine

Host Gator is OK (more sites per server) and A Small Orange is your best choice if you do not want to spend the big bucks on TextDrive. TextDrive does not have a control panel instead they use Webmin. They are devloping there own based on there other software (Joyent) it will be powerful.