browser communications

hello,

does anybody know a url ( or book ) where exactly is decribed the data which are exchanged between rowser and server? For example, how are the data build, sent, zipped etc. ?

Thanks in advance joachim

maybe ....

well if i understand what you're asking , you want to know the data that is sent from your computer , to server , lets just say a web server in your case . I would say looking up some information on the OSI model might help . I could go in depth , but it would be better if you read for yourself , i have a hardtime remembering packets,headers,frames,binary data...blah blah blah , good luck

where

Yes, I need info about what is my browser sending and what does my browser receive.
    I have tried iris and can see the data but need some more info about what the data structure is.
    What is osi model and where can I find info about it?

Greetings:

If I understand your needs correctly, you need to do research on TCP/IP (at least for a base), then http and https in terms of browser specific protocols.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

mh, yes, if I look at what the browser submits, I see "language" ( i know what it could be but what is the syntax ? ) and
    post /get . I what way does the browser communicate with the webserver?
    I just need an explanation of the fields and commands which are sent / received.

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

The OSI model is a standard reference model that breaks network communications down into 7 layers (Application, Presentation, Session, Transport, Network, Data, Physical - commonly remembered by the mnemonic "All People Seem To Need Data Processing").

Describing the interoperation of those layers is a book in itself, but there's a good tutorial here. If you're really interested, you might like to take a course such as COMPTIA's Network+ or one of the basic Cisco certs. You'll be sick of OSI by the time you finish either of those
    Simon
    http://www.AQHost.com
    Fast, reliable dual Intel Xeon servers
    Excellent uptime record
    Efficient and friendly support

Oooooops - I see from the reply that you sent while I was typing that it's more the headers themselves that you're interested in. Try the tutorial here.

Simon
    http://www.AQHost.com
    Fast, reliable dual Intel Xeon servers
    Excellent uptime record
    Efficient and friendly support

From what I understand, you want information about the HTTP protocol. There are a lot of white papers on this topic for sending requests and recieveing responces, cookies, url encoding, .. etc.

There is a book called HTTP pocket reference, but i never read it myself. All I know about the protocol is from the internet.

Try this out, in windows XP/2000.

First, open a DOS prompt and type:

Code:
    telnet www.webhostingtalk.com 80
    You will now see a blinking cursor in a clear screen. Type the following very carefully, as you can't do delete/backspace and as you type, you won't see anything on the screen except for the cursor moveing (what you type doesn't appear):

Code:
    HEAD / HTTP/1.0
    Now, hit 'Enter' twice. You will see the following lines on the screen (might take a while, depending on your connection speed):

Code:
    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:08:20 GMT
    Content-Length: 41874
    Content-Type: text/html
    Server: Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) PHP/4.1.2
    X-Powered-By: PHP/4.1.2
    Set-Cookie: sessionhash=16fae8fecc7a640acacc84be600ab7c3; path=/
    Set-Cookie: bblastvisit=1023714983; expires=Tue, 10-Jun-03 13:16:23 GMT; path=/
    Via: 1.1 supercache (NetCache NetApp/5.2.1R1D8)
    This is how your browser interacts with a webserver.

What you have done is to connect to the host (www.webhostingtalk.com) on port (80). What you typed was the request, which was:

Code:
    HEAD / HTTP/1.0
    HEAD is the type of request, this type means that you only want the headers of the responce, and not the contents to be sent (the contents being an HTML page, gif image, CSS file, .. whatever).

The slash is the object path, which is the web root in this case.

HTTP/1.0 is the name and version of the protocol used. There is also HTTP/1.1, but it is not easy to deal with manually using telnet because of its features/requirements (espicially something keep-alive connections).

After that, you hit enter twice, which means that you have finished the request part ( the request part can consist of multiple lines, so its end is marked by two enters ).

Now you get the responce, and it sent by the webhostingtalk.com's webserver, which is:

Code:
    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:08:20 GMT
    Content-Length: 41874
    Content-Type: text/html
    Server: Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) PHP/4.1.2
    X-Powered-By: PHP/4.1.2
    Set-Cookie: sessionhash=16fae8fecc7a640acacc84be600ab7c3; path=/
    Set-Cookie: bblastvisit=1023714983; expires=Tue, 10-Jun-03 13:16:23 GMT; path=/
    Via: 1.1 supercache (NetCache NetApp/5.2.1R1D8)
    The first line starts with the protocol type ( HTTP/1.0 ), then the code number 200, which means that the request was succesful, and then a description of the responce code ( OK ).

Then comes other lines of the responce, which i'm not going to go into here.

Now comes the homework:
    Repeat the steps above, but with this request instead (don't forget the two 'Enters' after it):

Code:
    GET /showthread.php?threadid=54265 HTTP/1.0
    If you see your thread in HTML, then you have passed
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

Originally posted by AQHost
    Oooooops - I see from the reply that you sent while I was typing that it's more the headers themselves that you're interested in. Try the tutorial here.

Simon
    Marshall's tutorial seems very nice, I don't think you will need any book besides it.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates