* A bandwidth question?

Hi im hoping to start a parenting forum (we currently have an ezboard) with some friends but before I look for a web host I would like to know a bit about what features we would need in particular bandwidth, can anyone tell me a bit about bandwidth and how much I would need each month and or how its measured? Thankyou

Usually a nice popular forum will require around 4 to 8 GIG / mo depending upon your members.

You can also see much related thread here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...webhostingtalk

-Rupi
    FastWebHost.com - Business Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Fast VPS Hosting
    FastWebHost.in Best India Web Hosting Provider. India Web Hosting
    Hosting Websites Since 2002 in USA, EU, India and all over the world

I'm running a vbulletin forum with 49 members, with usually 4-5 members online.

Bandwidth Usage:

Bytes transferred in May: 936 MB
    Bytes transferred in June: 287 MB

Thanks for your replies you've been very helpful.
    There is so much information out there I feel like I'll never know enough to get started.

Could you give me an idea on other features I would need in my hosting package to run a bulletin board?

*Tiff*

Instead of looking for a hosting package, my suggestion to you would be to get a reseller package from a place like MCHost or Splashhost. For $30-$40 month you will get plenty of hdd space and bandwidth to grow your forum with. A benefit is splitting the cost with the other parents you are starting this with, and each can also host their own domain, family page, or whatever.
    Stay away from "unlimited" hosts if you choose not to get a reseller package, because if your site gets really popular, you may be shut down for hogging resources! This is only my opinion, but it really may be the best for you.

You'll need PHP, a MySQL database and some webspace

No more than 5 MB for the forum itself, and then of course some MB for the posts, users and attachments.

My forum database is currently 4.9 MB.

Registered Members: 49
    Total Threads: 129 | Total Posts: 1624
    There are currently 5 members and 2 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 17 on 22-05-2002 at 18:25.

I think you can go really far with 100 MB webspace, and if you need more you can always upgrade your account.

Hope this helps!