need some suggestions, please?

This is my church's website... I only do sites for fun/hobby and maintain this one on a volunteer basis. Anyone mind looking especially at the header and giving suggestions? I borrowed the idea of using a shadow under the header, but it doesn't look quite right. And, I think the page is too "square" ...too symetrical. I thought that maybe having the header curver down and into the left menu column? But, not sure how do make that....

sorry for rattling on...

http://www.chbchurch.org/test.shtml

Oh, this is also a page I've been using to try and help myself learn SSI... so, none of the secondary pages have been changed yet.

The site that is active right now is
    http://www.chbchurch.org

if anyone wants to see what it looks like. And you can see why I'm trying to change..haaaa!

Thanks in advance!

Stefan
    "you only fail if you don't try"

Hi Stefan:
    I think you've done a fine job. I don't think it looks too square or symmetrical. It has a nice layout and appears to have good navigation.

Regarding the header:

1. Although it could still use some work, you've cleaned up the image of the kids alot. It was pretty blurry on the old site.

2. I'm not sure I'd go with Lucida Handwriting for the font. I think a different type to "scripty" font would look better. And perhaps make the "Capitol Hill Baptist Church" line a different color. Perhaps even add slight shadowing to it.

3. Everything seems scrunched up to the left. Maybe spread it out a bit to balance it.

4. Making the header curve into the left nav bar... Here's a quickie I made in Fireworks. Something like this? This header would flow into a side nav bar. Pretty easy to make, really. What graphics program are you using? Let us know so we can give you a quick mini-tutorial.

Vito
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails church_header.jpg  
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

i like it

im not a big fan of what the site is about , but i think it looks great . Im sure there are a couple of things you could do here and there , other then that , you got it nailed

Case - I can understand /respect the comment about not being a fan of the content... I'm sometimes hesitant to post things because it is a church site. So, thanks for your response/encouragement! It's appreciated.

Vito - Thanks for the points. They're well taken. Any suggestions on font to replace the Lucida? And, I agree with the shadow on the name..it would help offset it.

I kind of pushed everything to the left to appease people using 640x480 resolution...and am trying to use a combo of CSS and SSI... so, when the resolution being used decreases, the page kind of folds in too so the 640x480 user doesn't have to scroll. How would that affect the gif you made? Should I make the left navigation column a fixed width to eliminate that issue?

I currently use PaintShop Pro 7.0.... but, have been trying to use Fireworks..I read great things about Fireworks on this board, so I'm eager to learn how to use it.

Like I said...it's a hobby so I try to learn... and as funny as it sounds it's relaxing to try and do this. So, I appreciate both of you taking your time to look and offer advice!

Stefan
    Stefan

the page actually flows quite well,
    so once the header is fixed, all will be good.......You should also run the header at 100%.......

cheers
    --

Try doing something like this. If you want, I can send you the png file so that you can play around with it in Fireworks.

Vito
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails church_header.jpg  
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Vito - sweet job on the header... I'd love to look at the png file if you don't care? I appreciate everyone's help, input, and feedback. You gotta love this forum!

I sincerely mean this when I ask how did you guys get so good? Just experience? Some of my holdbacks are I'm analytical and can't image or invision anything dealing with art...I can't even draw a round circle!

Anyway - Thanks a million!!!!
    Stefan

No problem, sdollen. Glad to help. I can't send you the file through the forum, since it won't allow me to send an attachment. So why don't you Private Message me with your email address, and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Vito