International Shipping and the like

I live in Canada and I do a lot of ordering and Shipping to the USA. Most often I only deal with small items, so no duty or other fees are incurred. In the near future, however, I am planning to receive some larger ticket items from south of the border. A computer and accessories, to be precise.

Before I give the ok to have it shipped to me I want to ensure that i'm not going to have to pay a $600 customs bill when I go to pick it up. That would suck.

I know I'll have to pay the canadian taxes on it, but beyond that i have no idea.

Do any of you dedicated WHT users (addicts ) have any experience with this sort of thing? I've scoured the government sites to do with customs, and, so far it has been a waste of time (It's all so hard to understand and all the documents are so intertwined. I need a secretary or clerk or something. Someone on the *inside* would be better.)

Thanks if you can help
    Last edited by WoodShedd; 06-09-2002 at 10:25 PM.

Chicago, IL
    call me stupid, but how exactly is this different then what you did before, it just appears to be a bigger box?

It is different because Items worth less than $60CDN can be classified as a "gift". Duty is not charged on "gifts"

The computer I am hoping to get shipped to me is worth a significant amount more than $60 CDN, so it cannot be classified as a gift. Because of this I am worried about the taxes, duties, tariffs, etc that may be incurred