Does Plesk allow you to "oversell"?

I have a reseller account with 2 GB disc space and 50 GB bw. If I try to set up a new account that brings the disc space or the bw over the allotted quota, it gives me an error message.

Being fairly new to the hosting biz, it has always been my understanding that a bit of overselling is just part of the business. As long as you watch your accounts and don't let anything get out of hand.

Hypothetical example: If on my account, I sell 10 accounts for an allotted 5 GB bw each, theoretically I've used up my quota of 50 GB. But when looking at my accounts' bw usage, I can see that they only used up a total of 15 GB bw. So there are 35 GB bw not used. I always assumed that I could continue to set up more customers on that account provided that I do not exceed my assigned quota in actual bw consumption.

Seemingly, Plesk does not go based on actual bw used. Instead, it seems to go based on assigned bw per customer.

Am I understanding this correctly? And if I am, does this mean that with Plesk, I am unable to fully maximize my reseller account?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I believe the only way around that is to set things to hudder:: unlimited and monitor the usage. If you set hard limits, it goes by that as far as allowing you to set up more, however it doesn't prevent users from going over those limits (just warns you that they have).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

WHM allows you to choose whether your resellers can setup up to a certian preagreed disk space and data transfer account etc. Maybe Plesk has something similar. Contact your provider and ask them.

Hmm. OK, I'll contact my host. Geez, I sure hope it can be changed. it'll be kinda hard to maximize a reseller account if it can't.

Thanks guys.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

if you are a reseller under plesk ie a client in a plesk panel, then you can't 'oversell' your bandwidth or diskspace, in other words if you added 10 with 5Gb then the next would give you an error.

But this is not a fixed limit, in other words you could set the bandwidth at 500MB for each domain and all that would happen is you would get an email each day if they went over this, this is a very good idea for you as you get a daily report on bandwidth, your clients however may question why there limit is not set as promised, maybe just tell them it is just set at this so that you can monitor but you don't charge unless they use over 5GB

bbi-linux:
    That's not a bad idea, but as you say, some customers may not like the fact that in their cp they will not see the limits as purchased.

So is this just with Plesk? I know that alot of hosts do some overselling. Is it different with the WHM/cpanel combo?

Vito

Greetings:

"Being fairly new to the hosting biz, it has always been my understanding that a bit of overselling is just part of the business."

How would that statement hold up in an ethics discussion or in court?

I see more and more ethical businesses being punished in the market place because they do not lie (a rose by any other name is a rose) about what they are selling. And those who normally would not lie, end up lying because they believe they have to do so in order to compete.

<Totally confused>.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Well, dynamicnet, I think it would hold up quite well in an ethics discussion.

I am not refering to flagrant irresponsible overselling. I am talking about responsible account management.

If I have 10 customers that sign up for 5 GB of bw each, yes that theoretically uses up the bw in my reseller account. However, most site owners never use up, or even get close to using up all their allotted resources.

If those 10 customers only use an aggregate 15 GB per month, are you really telling me it would be irresponsible or unethical to make use of some of that unused bw for other customers?

Vito

Greetings Vito:

"I am not refering to flagrant irresponsible overselling. I am talking about responsible account management. "

So a little lie is not as bad as a flagrant lie?
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I don't see how it is a lie. I'm not telling the customer he's getting 5 GB of bw but only giving him 2. If he uses up to 5 GB, that's exactly what he'll get. That's what he paid for, and he's entitled to it. If I see that a particular account/server is getting full, then I will get the size of the account increased, or set up another account for additional customers.

I think you're confusing me with those hosts that promise the world, offer rock bottom prices and never intend on delivering what they promise. They will routinely cancel the customer's account when the bw usage goes up, even though it's within their allotted limits.

So if they are able to get precisely what they paid for, I wouldn't be lying to my customers, would I?

Vito

Originally posted by Chicken
    I believe the only way around that is to set things to hudder:: unlimited and monitor the usage. If you set hard limits, it goes by that as far as allowing you to set up more, however it doesn't prevent users from going over those limits (just warns you that they have).
    Yep, as someone who knows Plesk I can say that THIS is the only way

dynamicnet, overselling is not illegal, immoral, lying, or unethical. All of that is *OT*, please feel free to start another thread about it (but I can tell you, it isn't unethical and save you the trip to the store).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Yep, as someone who knows Plesk I can say that THIS is the only way
    hmmm how well? We have a lot of resellers and they do as I wrote above. If as a server admin you set up a client in plesk with unlimited thats exactly what hes got and much more difficult to keep track of.

Look at it as more of a guide than a restriction...

But what if you're admin of plesk rather than just a reseller/client?
    | | i write code

Quote Originally Posted by siforek
    But what if you're admin of plesk rather than just a reseller/client?
    You can't oversell with Plesk. Not sure why you bumped up a thread from 2002, either...