Is there really a host out there that has 99.9% uptime?

Now I am asking myself this, as Rackshack appearently has gone down, or some of the sites, and such.

VO, and their servers have not gone down, I seem to notice that. But they have to go down every so often for repair, and such.

But honestly without trying to say MY NETWORK is best, who honestly has the best uptime. Everyone tries to be the best. I have found maybe one or two, but Lord knows I wish I could afford to be on their network.
    Chris

Most quality host can meet 99.9%. It isn't that hard. 45 minutes of downtime per month. That is plenty for numerous reboots or quick hardware upgrades. The issue is many host jam sites on servers, use a colo with no *real* BGP or redundancy, or buy cheap equipment to up their margins. This is why 99.9% maybe hard to find.

As far as known, high uptimes, RackSPACE is always good. If you posted a thread on them, I would be amazed at someone posting saying they were under 99.9%.

Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    As far as known, high uptimes, RackSPACE is always good. If you posted a thread on them, I would be amazed at someone posting saying they were under 99.9%.
    One of my servers is with RackSpace... according to the uptime command: 316 days 8 hours 12 minutes
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

I'd have to agree with UmBillyCord with everything except the 'easy' part

99.9% and 100% uptime is the natural side effect of buying quality and delivering quality.
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Ditto!

Rackspace is simply is best when it comes to hosting. They are the leaders and will continue to prosper because of great uptime and support.

my.1 cent

Rackspace have infact had 100% uptime for more than 12 months now, click here to see the press release about it.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Originally posted by FDrive
    One of my servers is with RackSpace... according to the uptime command: 316 days 8 hours 12 minutes
    Just to clarify, that's not an indicator of the site uptime, it's how long it's been such the server has been rebooted. During that 316-day period, though, there could have been network outages, apache might have gone down, etc. A 99.9% uptime would mean that the site has been available that much of the time... but, by the way, some hosts define it in such a way that scheduled outages for maintenance and such don't count.
    Originally posted by ho247
    Rackspace have infact had 100% uptime for more than 12 months now
    100% network uptime. Which again doesn't mean that all sites or servers were up 100% of the time.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by Deb
    I'd have to agree with UmBillyCord with everything except the 'easy' part

99.9% and 100% uptime is the natural side effect of buying quality and delivering quality.
    I never said it was "easy". I said it isn't "that hard."

It is kind of like this .. was it "easy" to get the whole family to help build the datacenter? Or was it not "that hard" to get the family (kids) to help?

I'm curious. Aren't there advantages to rebooting ever so often? I really don't have a problem with a 5 minute reboot once a month. Or does it take longer?

Dreamquest... you use rackspace?

I never said it was "easy". I said it isn't "that hard."

It is kind of like this .. was it "easy" to get the whole family to help build the datacenter? Or was it not "that hard" to get the family (kids) to help?
    IT WAS HARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any idea how HARD it is to get young teens and pre-teens to enjoy scrubbing floors and painting walls? It cost me multiple new XBox games, many trips to Arby's, theater tickets, extra swimming time and a whole lot more! Though it was easier than doing it without them
    FutureQuest.net

IT WAS HARD!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can tell. I think I see forced smiles -
    http://www.visionquest.net/misc/imagepages/image30.html

I'm curious. Aren't there advantages to rebooting ever so often?
    It depends on what the server is doing. In some cases, rebooting is necessary to bring in certain upgrades and security patches. For this reason I would be hesitant (not against..it depends on other factors) to host a web site on a community server that has been "up" for over a year knowing that in the past 12 months there have been some needed upgrades/patches that require a reboot. For other things it's fine to let the server run and do it's job.
    FutureQuest.net

Is there really a host out there that
    no

100% network uptime. Which again doesn't mean that all sites or servers were up 100% of the time.
    True... my server at Rackspace hasn't been up for 100% during the last 12 months for two reasons. One being that I havenb't had the server for 12 months, about 8 I think ... and second, I reboot it every 1 to 2 months after upgrading something, or just clearing out the RAM etc, it seems to help a lot, but none of this is to blame on Rackspace, the downtime is either due to myself or Rackspace doing scheduled network upgrades.

When a host says that they ahve 99.5% uptime, you really need to read their policy or SLA (Service Level Agreement) to see what the uptime includes, let it be the network, server or both.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator