Thread: WHT Standards?

Lightbulb WHT Standards?

There are a lot of folk bashing on about this and that here, time after time folk ahve to create big threads to repeat the same things over and over again waisting there own time.

Seems daft.

You need to find some iron clad example you search and you find too many exmples. Too much time spent looking, and lots of folk trying to find the same info sometimes at the same time.

Is this a good idea? I think it makes for a bit of confusion when you are trying to trace a bit of proven critical thinking or code.

Now, What about a referance system.

If, when an iron clad thread say about why you should not advertise a certian type of hosting, say a lawyer has posted and someones got some docs as proof and things like that. I dont mean a thread that has someone slanted in it, I mean one that only has the true factual info, deliberatly without putting anyone down. Well if that item or subject was given a tag, a ref of some sort thats not going to clash with the forum text and that ref is put onto a master thread that has a unique title then and the members are made aware of the thread, then coping with easy questions for code, bad users, etc may be a bit easier for the regulars.

Kind of like building a referance lib for the forum that anyone that susses it can use.

Also on another thought, if the hosting industry does start to get standardised in any way or see some sort of adverting regulations enforced I would imagine the places with the most up to date info and smartest folk will be the overall winners.

Only a simple little idea, do you think it is workable, a good idea or just plain silly?

Very interested to hear thoughts.

Sorry, I meant to put this in the lounge, would appriciate in a mod moves it there. If not

Interested to hear anyhow.

Re: WHT Standards?

I think I speak for the majority of WHT members when I say, eh?

There are brief moments when I think I understand what you mean, then I keep reading and get lost.

"referance system" ok...
    "Well if that item or subject was given a tag..." vBulletin code?
    "and that ref is put onto a master thread that has a unique title..." eh?
    "then coping with easy questions for code, bad users, etc may be a bit easier for the regulars." eh?
    "Kind of like building a referance lib for the forum that anyone that susses it can use." eh?

I guess I don't fully get it, how it works, or what it is exactly. Also regarding the below...

Originally posted by Gadgy
    I dont mean a thread that has someone slanted in it, I mean one that only has the true factual info...
    I honestly can't think of a thread that has had 'true factual info'. I've seen threads which stuff is posted, but ultimately it is up to the reader to decide if the information is in any way 'factual'. This is the problem with posted experiences of any kind (both good and bad).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I think I speak for the majority of WHT members when I say, eh?
    ok.

What I was trying to say, but I think maybe im just tired, is that quite a lot of folk have trouble finding some info on the forum because there is so much info for specific keywords. Some of the info is of upmost importance, sure folk have that stuff bookmarked but not everyone has a shared resource bookmark of wht for quick referance to past threads that cover technical and legal points throuought the hosting industry. As in master index, I just ment a thread with a unique title that people can find easly, having a list of sub topics that cover the site. People are always posting links to past posts, just thought an index system would be handy. After that thogh I know it would take much more moderation so its prob not a good idea.

I think I get it.

Actually in researching a game installation issue, I found a forum on the vendor's website much like WHT, but some kind soul had categorized some of the most common threads and questions and made a sort of meta-post which the moderators then made an 'announcement' so it stayed at the top.

I can imagine such page on WHT, maybe associated with each forum.

Under 'running a web hosting business', links to the three most useful threads on credit card fraud, insurance, hiring. Under the 'technical and security issues', links to the most useful threads on 'locking down a linux box', 'sendmail configuration', etc.

Somewhere, links to the best threads on unlimited bandwidth.
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

However, there will be so many issues for each category I foresee a whole page of pinned threads even if only the best threads are pinned from each topic. And people will reply only to the pinned topic simply because it is more accessible. In the end, we'll still get 'non-factual' info in those threads.

i think you misunderstand, coux
    each forum would only have 1 pinned topic.
    Inside that pinned topic would be links to the relevant threads...
    http://www.boredomkillers.com - Boredom Killers: Coming Soon. Never be bored again!

i see... but then the moderator would have to update the pinned thread to include every new factual threads. A lot of work..
    But good idea.