Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The strangest clients....

Please list all the strangest incidents with your customers - the strangest requests etc.

Looking forward hearing from you!
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:
      0 Not allowed!

My cup holder is broken...
    Flashback humor
      0 Not allowed!

- Hello! Can I spam?
      0 Not allowed!

- I pay you five dollars, you build nme database driven website.

- we only have stolen credit cards in my country.

- I require 500 one page web sites with unique, non consecutice IP's for spamming search engines, can you help.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

"Apache? I don't want no damn indians running my website!"
    LMAO

That has to be one of the best.

"What is the URL to your website?" Is one of the best emails I've gotten.
    http://www.sonichost.net
    Hosting Solutions That Won't Break Your Budget!
      0 Not allowed!

Clients can be quite funny. I don't have as many as you guys but a few times I've...

Clicked on the email as per usual.
    Read the question sent in.
    Looked like this: (read it again in disbelief).
    Had to write back, "Ummmm, no... well your site doesn't show up because you named your main page mymainpage.html not index and ohhh goo, hard coded that in the rest of the site (easy fix), and your images aren't showing up because the case is wrong and the image file names aren't right (they link to 'flower' when the file name is 'daisy.jpg', etc.), and..."

It actually makes me smile, as I probably did the exact same things, heh. I'd say many are web design related (basic questions), or they upload into the wrong folder and wonder whre the site is. RaQ'ers will identify with that one ("Which 'web' folder again???")
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

hey chicken, ive had a few of that sort 2, i get emails blaming me because their site isnt working, on further investigation there is no index file, files have CAPITALS and they dont use them. When you point this out they go a bit quiet and tell you how they are alwas telling other people not to make those sort of mistakes.

I know i used to make them too and we all have to start somewhere!
      0 Not allowed!

lol...

Once I had a client who continuously asked why his site was down.. I told him he had to set the name servers to our servers... He said he did it.. I check the whois and he put them as domain.com and www.domain.com

I haven't really had any other weird ones...
    Sean Higgins
    Pixel Seven
    http://www.pixelseven.com
      0 Not allowed!

we had one who said

"I've completed my site but I can't see it on the internet"

probably because it wasn't uploaded but still on there PC.

DOH!
      0 Not allowed!

You know, that seems really obvious, however is probably a very common n00b question and when you think about it, makes sense. If you're missing the whole 'upload to the server' part of the equation, then certainly it will confuse you.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

"Will I be able to use your service from Japan?"

"I 13 and I need server to host Quake but I not have any money help me please please please please."

Actually there were a lot of other ones, but I tend to try and forget them (thankfully).
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

Well, when I read the topic, the incident which happended with me maked me smile.

Someone signed up for my 74.95 hosting package. When I e-mailed them asking for their domain name, they replied me that I can keep the money and they don't want to keep their website online anymore.. aheem.. I told them that they can send the request to clickbank.com to refund the amount, and then below is what I got as a reply.

"MOTHER****ER, WHY DONT YOU JUST KEEP THE ****IN MONEY AND GET YOU BUTT OUT OF MY MAIL CLIENT."

I was like....

Few days later, I received a chargeback for that 75$ and I had to pay US$15

Salam,
    -Omair
    36Host.com - reliable & affordable web hosting
    * Providing Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *
      0 Not allowed!

This is the best topic for some time now

The best I've had is

"I want to speak to the owner of the Internet"

(was some 4 years ago, but i wont forget it)
    Not to mention it was a female (thats no disrespect to them)
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Chicken
    well your site doesn't show up because you named your main page mymainpage.html not index
    Ha! I had completely forgotten about this one, maybe the same client?
    This guy's wife signs with us and a couple days later he calls us on the phone, utterly infuriated and yells at us for 20 mns: "You guys suck you guys suck I want to cancel you guys suck" etc.

Turns out their web pages weren't showing up because they had decided -in their own secret world- that the default page would be something like "mymainpage.html".

We have refunded them and they they are now with interland (ahahah).
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.
      0 Not allowed!

Chargeback

"Few days later, I received a chargeback for that 75$ and I had to pay US$15"

Was that $75+$15, or just $15?

JS
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Chargeback

Originally posted by flyinghosts
    "Few days later, I received a chargeback for that 75$ and I had to pay US$15"

Was that $75+$15, or just $15?

JS
    I would think it was $75 as that was the original amount and $15 would be the Credit Card processors charge, for a chargeback .....

Correct me if i am wrong.
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas
      0 Not allowed!

You are right cabal. That was US$75 + US$15

Salam,
    -Omair
    36Host.com - reliable & affordable web hosting
    * Providing Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *
      0 Not allowed!

We've had ones who buy an account for an entire year, and don't use it once. Some of these people even buy relatively high-end accounts. Seems so strange to me..
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256
      0 Not allowed!

We've had ones who buy an account for an entire year, and don't use it once.
    This came up in another thread. Someone found out that a way to
    1) Get the customers to use these accounts and
    2) Make more(!) more from the customers
    by contacting them asking why they didn't use their accounts. He got a couple of web design jobs by doing that.

Clever
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by lets.pretend

by contacting them asking why they didn't use their accounts. He got a couple of web design jobs by doing that.

Clever

LOL very funny. I like that.
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256
      0 Not allowed!

Clever
    3. he lost some clients on the way...
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:
      0 Not allowed!

Well defenetly the most wierd client I had were ones that started attacking me thinking I was deleting thier site, when actually it was thier problem (uploading below public_html dir)!

Also got a client that wanted to have a complete layout done for $30

Thank god the rest is quite good people (tend to maintain a close relationship with my costumers )
      0 Not allowed!

I have a client (a local one, see a flyer of mine).

He called and said he had a web site on a disk (someone else
    made it for him)

He wanted a web site for his business. He was very truthful
    that he had no clue what to, had him mail me the disk and
    told him I would get him all set up.

The site was not bad at all. I registered the domain name for him, set his site up, had him go online and order everything.
    Submitted the site to as many search engines as possible.

Well the site was up by the weekend. On Monday morning he called me and said he did not get a single online order all weekend.

I was like ???

He said, he looked on search engines and could not find his web site, wanted to know if I was a scam artist.

I had to teach the customer that I am no scam artist because his site was not listed in the search engines in a few days.
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!
      0 Not allowed!

Here is a good one. One day I get a voicemail from a lady who says she runs a local web design firm and that they saw my ad in the local newspaper and wanted to sell hosting to her clients and was looking for a hosting company that was local. So told her yes we would be more than happy to help her and we would offer her the same reseller rates as we give other design firms we work with. So all is dandy and they uploaded there company site after a couple days and i get a trouble ticket wondering why there site was not up. So I get in the box and look around and the main page is named home.html Anyways i just thought it was funny as hell that this "design firm" did not know what to name there pages.. I also got a few chuckles when they asked from frontpage extensions.. Anyways thats my story.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by OKIHost
    Here is a good one. One day I get a voicemail from a lady who says she runs a local web design firm and that they saw my ad in the local newspaper and wanted to sell hosting to her clients and was looking for a hosting company that was local. So told her yes we would be more than happy to help her and we would offer her the same reseller rates as we give other design firms we work with. So all is dandy and they uploaded there company site after a couple days and i get a trouble ticket wondering why there site was not up. So I get in the box and look around and the main page is named home.html Anyways i just thought it was funny as hell that this "design firm" did not know what to name there pages.. I also got a few chuckles when they asked from frontpage extensions.. Anyways thats my story.
    Haha, know how many FrontPage designers I have. I am not knocking the good ones, but these designers that use the FP templates and call themselves designers,
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by OKIHost
    Actually, many places have home.html as an alternative to index.html.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      0 Not allowed!

Actually, many places have home.html as an alternative to index.html.

Or default.??? or *.htm
      0 Not allowed!

This is the funniest thread I've read for a long time.

John
      0 Not allowed!

Once every so often I'd get someone who orders a hosting account and inputs in the domain name field something like "John and Martha's Flower Shop".

But I gotta say, the funniest ones are usually the passwords. Things like "stupid", "penis", and "f****" are very common.
      0 Not allowed!

In addition to web hosting services, we give away free remotely hosted web tools such as guestbooks etc.

One day we got a really angry mail from a customer who accused us for breaking into his web site and adding such a guestbook to his web site without his permission.

How on earth would we have done that I though? So I went to his site and found out the site was not maintained by him alone but with help from his friend...

Phew.

/Alx Grepe
    Alxhost.com / Alxnet.com
      0 Not allowed!

One of our clients calls and says,

I opened a e-mail with a virus, and my pc is going crazy, could I send you the e-mail so you can Identify the virus.

Then He asks If I could Fly out to California to fix his Pc.

My favorite was a potental client that came to the office, then proceeded to spend three and a half hours explaining what he wanted. He had 300 plus pages worth of paperwork, News clippings floppies full of excel files and drew diagrams on a vap board.

When he finally finished not a single one of us had a clue what he was talking about. Or how any of the information that he provided had anything to do with website design.

So he pulls out a magizine and starts reading an article about the proper way to screen a consultant apparently this was some kind of test to see our reactions?

Who knows?

Mj.

By the way we were tho Co. that called our clients to see why they werent using their webspace, it turned outto be quite profitable!
      0 Not allowed!

anybody that is mcse is usually a gas
    the world begins and ends at the feet of their expertise

eventually all of them need to let you know they have a degree
      0 Not allowed!

Ok, let's hear some DEDICATED SERVER stories for a change:
    (Please keep in mind that a dedicated server customer who does only get a box with plain OS, no CP whatsoever normally is someone who [must] know wtf he/she is doing)

Well I had a client that signed up for one of my Duron offers. He installed a generic firewall of some sort and shut himself and us out of the box (he admitted to that and didn't try to blame us, so far so good).

We had many stuff to do back then so I told him that it will be 2 hours of work (he wanted his data too AND ReOS) ergo 120$ and would be done in 24h. He then said that he does NOT want to pay 120$ (DOH!) and, nice (and stupid) as I am, I told him ok but it would take 48 hours then cause we got a sh*tload of work to do. He was very glad about that so we started working. Note: I ALSO told him that we can refund him, no hard feelings and still give him his backup np but he went like: No, no I want the server... so far so good(?)...

After LESS then the 48h we got it done, nevertheless he had submitted 3-4 Trouble Tickets "When is it done?" etc... even called me in my office and left a message with many noise in background stating something like "Up yours... server..." anyway I decided to officially claim to not have heard ANY of that message due to the background noise...

As I said in less then 48h we were done and he had nothing better to do then announce to us, AFTER we ReOSed and RESTORED ALL HIS DATA TO THE SERVER, that he does not want the server anymore after all because of "unknown reasons"

He said that he knows he was a "pain in the arse" and he insisted on leaving us with the money. He didn't want a refund. I told him that if he decided to change his mind (kinda figured he is nuts) that I would give him refund anytime via PayPal. I didn't want to refund via PaySystems as I just had started with them and I didn't want to "look bad".. anyway

A few days later I got like 3-4 client comments from him in PaySystems calling me a FRAUD and demanding his money. He even emailed me often with threats and so on.

Bottom Line: The guy didn't want a refund, I was open to issue him one anytime anyway and now he didn't get a single penny...
    He emailed me some days ago btw to "ask how I am doing" and " to say hello"
    Last edited by StarGate; 06-14-2002 at 09:36 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

*Robert has an interesting memory in that part of the above post definitely refers to me but most does not. Also I am not a "he" so if Robert is talking about someone else then well my apologies but my episode with Robert and his first business which is now defunct is different than stated above.

Now I purchased a 30 day lease on a Pentium III based server ( if he gave me a Duron then I was overcharged ) from him but cancelled within 2 days. There was a 32 hour wait for a reboot/OS restore that was my fault because of the firewall mishap in that time that caused me to reevaluate his service but really at that point everything was fine. Robert was professional in his comments and the matter was supposedly handled. But I decided that his service was not for me and asked him very nicely to cancel my account and to sell the server to someone else.

I agree that Robert promised a refund at that point but after waiting 3 weeks I contacted paysystems via email and was told by Anna and Rick of Cardholder Services that they would start a refund investigation for me as no refund had been processed at that time.

Now the response from Robert and StarGate IT Systems as reported by Justin of Paysystems Cardholder Services was that "they
    provided services to you and that you abused the service".
    Now how I abused the service is beyond me other that I choose to take him up on his 30 Day Money Back Guarantee after 2 days of having the server.
    Now I admit it is irrelevant that his entire New York or New Jersey hosting operation was shutdown by the datacenter for failing to pay his bills before my actual paid 30 days of service would have ended. The fact is that even if I had been happy with the service that I would have been faced with a service downage and possible loss of data due to Robert's failure to keep his colocated servers in good status with the datacenter that he was using.

Things would have lead to a refund processed by paysystems or a chargeback if not for a very infamous email from someone sending from [email protected] that had "2 words" to say to me.
    Now Bellsouth ( my internet provider ) investigated the matter and confirmed the origin of the email as coming from Greece.

This event changed things and caused things to escalate to a point where it really shouldn't have gone. In any event, to be brief we are currently testing the internet fraud laws of the state of Mississippi. Now since Robert and his company are based in Greece nothing much will come of it other than a leason learned on how things can escalate to levels not wanted.

Robert can choose to say things unrelated to the central issue that I was unhappy with his service ( before it was shutdown ) and requested a refund. He indeed promised to issue a refund but not an immediate refund back through the payment processor paysystems. Now weeks went by and I started to ask about the status of the refund and somehow things got out of hand ( the email with "2 words" kinda did it ) and I take a fair amount of the responsibility for that.

Robert is perhaps an OK fellow but he is tempermental to a point where you begin to think that he has problems. He was a professional with me when I was a paying customer but he did seem to change when I was no longer a paying customer.

Anyway I bear as much responsibility for our misunderstandings and problems that were caused. Although that is to be expected when recollections come from differing viewpoints and Robert has had his problems of late.

As to the conversations Robert supposedly had with the supervisor of the Cardholder Services department of paysystems, well it is quite convenient that the individual in charge of Cardholder Services at that time ( whose name was Mr. Driscoll ) no longer works for Paysystems in any way.

The head of Paysystems.com Merchant Security and Services is Mr. Dieter W. Doneit and he has this to say about your story of having a conversation with a Paysystems employee.

"I would never tolerate an agent who makes or make inappropriate comments about clients/non clients or merchant. We expect our employee's to maintain a high level of professionalism and this is enforced in training and reviews."

So Robert if you did talk to a Paysystems employee concerning me and you didn't just make that up for effect then Mr. Doneit of Paysystems would like to hear about it.
    Last edited by patprice; 06-13-2002 at 04:06 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Uh-uh.... I smell fire!

I know who I'm gonna root for, but that's my little secret...
      0 Not allowed!

1) Noone even mentioned YOU so you were not personally offended. And things happened EXACTLY like this and I can have a PaySystems/ReveCom rep reply here ASAP!

2)
    Two words: F U C K YOU :-)

Greets
    WTF is THAT about??? you nuts or something? I never said that you liar... pending legal-missisippi-investigation my arse...

EDIT:

I still have your call on tape. You don't sound like a woman to me nor did you sound or introduce yourself as a woman at PaySystems when they called you. ... GET SOME PROFESSIONAL HELP! Geeze
    Last edited by StarGate; 06-14-2002 at 09:37 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Go Ricki, go Ricki....

OK, I'll shut up....

Legal actions because of $159??? - That's nothing but crazy!
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah...

Go Ricki, go Ricki....

OK, I'll shut up....

Legal actions because of $159??? - That's nothing but crazy!
    ...tell me about it

Ok, sorry for being the cause of this thread to change now bu tI have to reveal a piece of email traffic with this Pat fella now to clear things up. I WILL NOT ARGUE FURTHER ON THIS. There is someone very dear to me here on WHT that I promised (and myself) to stop arguing... you know who you are and I have not forgotten that promise...

You should read this from BOTTOM TO TOP btw

Hi,

Yet again you impress me with your personal qualities.

As for a paypal ID, you can use the email address of
    removed . That is a confirmed email address " my personal
    email address " of record on the PayPal account of our fully incorporated business Go2! Search Internet Services Inc. Our PayPal business account is shown as "<removed>" by PayPal.

We do not wish to further discuss the matters of servers and hosting but we do want to say that we admire your professionalism and will have no problems with speaking highly of your company. Also just to be sure that you understand, we will not be using the server "64.247.34.10" anymore. We have already deleted are references of that server and its login information from our server management programs.

Again, we wish your company the best.

Sincerely,
    Pat Price

----- Original Message -----
    To: "'Pat Price'" <removed>
    Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 11:22 AM
    Subject: RE: Server Cancellation Request

> Dear Pat,
    >
    > There is no problem at all and there will never be hard feelings nor
    > will we ever be unfriendly. I am very sad that I obviously cannot
    > provide you with the level of service you need. Also I cannot hide the
    > fact that I am confused at this point.
    >
    > As to the refund, I INSIST to refund you. If you do not use the server
    > I would be feeling really bad if I kept your money thus renting it out
    > again.
    >
    > On another note I have to tell you that we are a stable company since
    > 1996 (a LTD to be precise) and our business intentions are therefore
    > to be taken seriously. You can see that by checking our GlobalSign
    > ServerSign for which (unlike GeoTrust and other crap) we had to send
    > in the paper from the IRS that the company exists (I don't know the
    > english term for it atm) as well as the owners (me) personal ID. I am
    > telling you all this as I know that over half of the companies out
    > there are not even real companies and fraud and bad service have
    > become common unfortunately. I want to point out that we are NOT such
    > a company and to us a lost client is a failure of our cause.
    >
    > Please provide me with a PayPal ID or continue to use the server.
    > Either will be good for me. Keeping your money without providing the
    > service though is against all my professional and personal ethics and
    > not in the spirit of StarGate IT Systems.
    >
    > Yours
    > Robert
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: Pat Price [mailto:removed]
    > Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 5:51 PM
    > To: [email protected]
    > Subject: Re: Server Cancellation Request
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Very last email on the subject.
    >
    > To ease all hard feelings before anything gets unfriendly, we hereby
    > fully authorize you to go ahead and resell the server denoted by IP
    > address "64.247.34.10". That means go ahead and cancel our order to
    > your company. We
    > do not want to be associated with the server on record any longer.
    > We are sending this email to PaySystems.com as well.
    >
    > We are not interested in a refund so don't worry about going through
    > that trouble.
    >
    > We however are no longer going to use the server and would like to be
    > gracious enough to let you know so that you can improve the financial
    > position of your company. It also would be a waste and security
    > concern to leave a server online and unwatched for very long.
    >
    > Since we will no longer be watching nor in any way managing the
    > server, we want to be on record that we notified you of this situation
    > promptly.
    >
    >
    > Please acknowledge receipt of this email and after that if your
    > support staff hurries they will be able to get the server back and
    > ready to be resold by the end of the day or well at least tomorrow.
    >
    > Lastly we know that we have seemed to be a bit of "unable to make up
    > our mind" kind of customer on this matter thus far but you can tell
    > your partners and anyone else that this is the last email and last
    > correspondence.
    >
    > So without further delay. Cancel our order for the server ** " This
    > of course means within your record keeping as we have already
    > cancelled the recurring billing through PaySystems.com "** . Resell
    > the Server. Everybody be happy.
    >
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Pat Price
    >
    >
    >
    > ----- Original Message -----
    > From: "Starhost" <[email protected]>
    > To: "'Pat Price'" <removed>
    > Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 3:33 AM
    > Subject: RE: Server Cancellation Request
    >
    >
    > > Yes we have received it and I was going to contact you today anyway.
    > > Although I cannot understand why you cancel now that everything
    > > works
    EDIT:

I forgot to mention that a few days after this email I suddenly got those Client Comments / Complaints at PaySystems.

This is my LAST WORD ON THE SUBJECT! If Mr. Price (If that is his real name) wishes to take this further in this thread, which will take it even more off topic, then he can do that BY HIMSELF! Bye!
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-13-2002 at 12:19 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Interesting situation you got goin on here...

I'm not going to say much, my views are my views, and I'm not taking anyone's side here as I don't have any real proof in my hands. As far as any of us WHT folks can tell, it's your word against your former customer's word.

But just out of curiosity, if ShareFile is in NY, and the former customer is in MS, then wouldn't you need to file the legal action against him in NY? I don't know too much on civil lawsuits, but I was curious about that...

That's all I'm going to say...I wish to remain neutral on this issue as I do not have any hard proof, only the words of the comapny, and the ex-customer.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast