Thread: Do i suck?

Do i suck?

i just wanted to no how bad (or good , lol) this web-design template is let me no please id be so greatful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cap.jpg  

On a scale of +10 to -10 I would have to say -4 sorry!

Hmm, I have seen worse.

What are you using to develop websites? I suggest dreamweaver. It is very good, however, it does require you to understand html.

Thanks

i just use raw html which i code my self and i dunno were to purchase dreamweaver do you no?

http://www.macromedia.com/ - but it's not for the feint-hearted!

can i just ask what about my design is it that isnt so good is it the tables the graphic i dunno?

And grandad thanx for the link i really do need help!

It's too "bland", no interactivity, no colour, nothing to give it any user appeal, it just looks like a grey rectangle (sorry!) - check some other hosting sites and you will see what I mean.

Just a suggestion - programmes like Dreamweaver are very good but not easy to learn or use - if you are new to design why not try Frontpage to easily get up and going, you can move on to better things later if you decide to. Don't let others put you off FP, it's basic and limited but allows you to get started and you can include movie, flash etc in it.

Just my 2 cents!

were can i buy/download front-page?

id prefer to download!

thanx so much!!!!!

Frontpage homepage http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/ check Amazon.com or Jungle.com for downloading the product on cc.

Ya thats pretty suckie. I hope you didnt spend more than 2 mins on it?

Why does everyone expect newbies to start on all of the most difficult options - it must be the "I had to suffer so why not you" syndrome.

Reviewed...

Not too bad for a noobie

I would definately suggest colour...I felt like my eyes were screwed. Either that or it was my black and white monitor showing up again
    Lime Drop Marketing!
    Web Design | Graphic Design | Logo Design
    http://www.limedrop.ca

wow thanx for all the great sugestions i feel liek so sad that i actually do suck , lol but ill get over it i just wanan get really good i find web-design so intresting and fun to do.
    i no how hard it is to come and give a newbie advice especially one like me , so thanx alot.

Everyone has their newbie-stage I'm not that great with graphics myself..

i got dreamweaver anyone know were i can get tutorialls ??

You can start with this http://www.iboost.com/build/software...torial/786.htm

After that, just do a search on google for "dreamweaver tutorial". You'll have a ton of links to keep you busy.

It's good that you started with raw HTML. It's great training. I wrote code in raw HTML for a year and a half. By the time I found DW, I knew HTML inside out, which really helped me while using DW. Once you get comfortable with DW, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

Good luck.
    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

did u download or buy dreamweaver vito?

Well, ,you download it for the 30 day free trial. But after that it will not work on your computer unless you buy it (usually online from Macromedia). So yes, I bought it, along with Macromedia Fireworks and Macromedia Flash. A fantastic combo for building web sites.

vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

ill buy it when it runs out i could use with maiking site sliek urs ur layout is very good

maiking site sliek
    i mean making site's like

Talking

Hi Liam-Hall,

Don't get discourage, if you want to be a web designer or design your own for that matter, then you must keep at it no matter what and keep improving and perfecting your skills remember "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first few steps" You will get there eventually.

You do have the basics, just need to improve on the techniques and finer points and that would require that you master at least one graphic software which you lack presently when viewing your layout(website).

Regards.

i would look around web sites for tutorials on it...it is a very nice proggie if u know html...im sure ull find a free tutorial just by searching on google...good luck!

One thing you'll learn when it comes to graphics is that people's tastes are VERY different. Often, people who whine the most about your designs will show you 'great' ones of theirs that are total crap. (not meaning anyone who commented on this work, just people in general)

If that was one of the first things you've done, I say hoorah! Good Job. And to hell with dreamweaver. Stay with a text editor. It's photoshop that you need to master!

I agree with Drewcifer...I like dreamweaver a lot, but I find that most of my editing is done in pure html mode, and I will just flip into a preview in internet explorer to see the site, since dreamweaver does not always post an accurate display of your site...Don't get me wrong, I think that Dreamweaver makes everything much easier and more convenient...The thing that i agree about is Photoshop...I'm just starting Web Design and I have become obsessed with Photoshop and I am working constantly to improve on it...The only thing is that after having bought Dreamweaver, Photoshop is another expensive piece of software, so yuo should invest wisely...I bought a Sony computer so it came with photoshop, but I also have an academic license so I could have gotten it for a lot less, but i t would still be $300...Invest wisely, have fun, and good luck!

Hi there,
    SOmeone telling you that you suck or not will not get you anywhere, and I wouldnt worry about getting a rating for your first design......
    If you find it interesting, then the key is to just keep at it........Cactus has given some good advice there.

Since you are a newbie and have done some raw html and now have dreamweaver, i would say that you are headed in the right direction. Each time just build upon what you have already learnt.

I have never personally used dreamweaver tutorials so I cant point you in any direction there.

However, another factor that many so called designers never think about is their site's usability and accessibility. Most people arent even aware of the various ua's that access their site, and providing proper document structure to cater for that.

My advice to you would be to learn the fundamentals of CSS, XHTML(which is replacing HTML), and web usability. If you get a good grasp off all these, then you will be doing very well, the rest will flow from there.......

I could write about this a lot more but dont have the time at the moment, but if you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask......

cheers and good luck
    --

wow thanks for all that ill be sure to keep it in mind ...

im sure ive got the basics down about css i can color scroll bars link rollovers etc but ill be sure to check out xhtml and try to improve on dreamweaver.....

once again thanx for all your hellp......

About tutorials - I caught on pretty quick using dreamweaver, just mess around, try things, have a 'treasure hunt'.

Originally posted by Liam-Hall
    but ill be sure to check out xhtml and try to improve on dreamweaver.....
    Woo-hoo! XHTML is the right direction.

Take a look at this article: <http://www.alistapart.com/stories/dreamweaver/> It'll help you code standards compliant pages with Dreamweaver.

Good luck!
    Colin

wow all that advice , lol its so much i have the highest amount of replys in this page of the forum isnt that cool for a newbie, lol well once again thanx for all your help everyone i no ive asked for so much but does anyone have any examples of a quite good site made in dreamweaver i dont mean top of the range amazing just good so i can see what i can try live up to/beat if possible...

thanks in advance !!

You can probably visit the sites of many of the members here at WHT. Many of them were built with DW.

Aside from that, visit Macromedia's Showcase area where they feature alot of top notch sites built with DW.

http://dynamic.macromedia.com/bin/MM...ct=Dreamweaver

Good luck, and have fun!

Vito

Thumbs up Namo Webeditor5

I would highly recommend Namo Webeditor5 by Jasc software.
    It is a very easy to use WYSIWYG program withg HTML coding ability. I have Dreamweaver4 and Frontpage 2002 and I prefer the NAMO package. Check out the reviews on Cnet etc. Very impressive.