I Need Help Quick...hard Drive Problem

This just has to be the WORSE weekend of my life. I have found out that Adobe Type Manager has corrupted/tampered with my Window System files. Due to that problem I can not access the internet, I can't write any files to CD-R and I think my last option is to go to the recovery disk. The only thing is I have so much stuff I need to save and if I use zip disk I will make Iomega a mult-billion dollar company--thus I can't afford to really go that route.

Does anyone know how to recover the harddrive WITHOUT deleting all its files?

Help

I'm in dire need of a miracle.
    Merrier times are near!

Anybody

Well I guess I'm going to begin looking for some other solutions and come back later and check, if I don't have a working computer in my home my life is OVER....

This just has to be the worse weekend this year.
    Merrier times are near!

Not much of a help, but you might consider looking at the recovery ads in the back of Computer Shopper mag.

Sometimes computers can be a pain the neck

Are you using Win Me or XP? If so they have restore - you can restore before you messed up - might help.

On Win98

And Dr Watson diagnosed it as

Adobe Type Manager has altered Windows system files and I suppose this is the modle name that did it: atmsys.drv. Unfortunately this file can not be deleted and the only think I can guess is that this file is corrupted the execution of programs because I can't open the CD Maker Express, all internet programs will not load yet the cable modem is working just fine, and I'm just having a SOB weekend.

Yuck....

I'm even hesistant to spend money on a external hard drive or tape deck if it won't even be able to work once its installed.

BAD BAD BAD DAY....

I was suppose to be inputting content on my page this weekend and now I'm set back....
    Merrier times are near!

Talking THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

grandad

I'm printing all these articles and will go home soon to see if anything works out.

I really appreciate this.
    Merrier times are near!

Let me know if it works out.

Here are a couple suggestions I tried when a program went rogue on my system files...

Buried deep in Winodws\system there is a file sfc.exe that checks critical system files and gives you the option to "restore" the originals off the windows disk. I have had good success with this, but you may want to backup your system before doing this.... Just in case

I've also had fairly good success at reinstalling windows over windows, which will replace the corrupted files, but you may find out you will need to reinstall some of your applications, but some will still be intact. If you try this, make sure none of your critical files are in the "windows" or "program files" directory!!!

I'm not a computer expert, but I'm just stating some things that worked for me, which your mileage may vary. These suggestions are provided without warranty of any kind

Hmm..... Recovery disk... If you try the first option I suggested, most likely the windows cab files are located in "Windows\options\cabs". I would also recommend making a CD-ROM with those files and putting it up so you'll have a copy of windows in case if your recovery disks ever fail.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by grandad
    Let me know if it works out.
    I change the atmsys.drv to system.drv and "Dr Watson" no longer detects the problem of "Adobe Type Manager has altered Windows system files". However I'm still running into this prompter:

Error Starting Program
    The NTS.DLL file is linking to missing export WSOCK32.DLL:1109

I tried to refigure the Networking connection and reinstalled Cox Comm. Agent and it did everything properly until it came time to make the connection...would not process.

So, I'm off to try the sfc.exe file.
    Merrier times are near!

Just reinstall windows. You just put the cd in install, you will loose some stuff like windows settings, but all the files should still be there.

Best TWO CENTS Ever!!!!

Originally posted by MGCJerry
    Buried deep in Windows\system there is a file sfc.exe that checks critical system files and gives you the option to "restore" the originals off the windows disk. I have had good success with this, but you may want to backup your system before doing this.... Just in case

Just my 2 cents.
    I am back up and running strong. I had got so frustrated that I just took a break from the computer because I thought I lost my entire life for a moment.... whew.....

The SFC worked perfectly and it extracted right from windows\options\cab and addition to fixing that ATM problem I feel thoroughly relieved and will be purchasing an external HD real soon.
    Merrier times are near!

Great news

Thumbs up

I'm glad it worked out for you... Isnt it lovely whats buried in your windows system directory

*proudly walks out the door with his first successful helping attempt on WHT*