Exclamation How to remove root e-mail?

Hi,

I have a mail script that sends out mail through sendmail. The problem is that many addresses are incorrect (SPAM) and I then receive back an error message, that gets sent to root@www.mydomain.com, regardless of the reply-to field I have set. I am receiving about 300 of these SPAM error messages a day!!!

What I need to know is how can I disable any incoming mail to root@www.mydomain.com and send back an message i.e. "this user does not exist"? Should I edit the /etc/mail/virtusertable ? If yes, how do I do it?

Thanks

Re: How to remove root e-mail?

Maybe it would help if you would re-phrase your explanation of what is happening. As I read it, you are sending out SPAM to numerous invalid addresses, and complaining that
    the bounces are coming back to your root account, so you wish to respond to the bounces you caused by sending to invalid addresses by notifying the mailservers that bounced the messages that your address (the originating one) is incorrect.

IF that is what you were actually saying, the proper way to handle the problem would be to quit sending out SPAM, especially to invalid addresses.

My apologies if you really meant to say something else.

Originally posted by Surfer
    Hi,

I have a mail script that sends out mail through sendmail. The problem is that many addresses are incorrect (SPAM) and I then receive back an error message, that gets sent to root@www.mydomain.com, regardless of the reply-to field I have set. I am receiving about 300 of these SPAM error messages a day!!!

What I need to know is how can I disable any incoming mail to root@www.mydomain.com and send back an message i.e. "this user does not exist"? Should I edit the /etc/mail/virtusertable ? If yes, how do I do it?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I am not sending SPAM! I have a virtual e-mail system that receives SPAM. What basically happens is that I receive SPAM, my cgi script gets the mail and then sends a bounce back and then I get a Mailer-daemon message from the SMTP server as the bounced e-mail didn't go through and the sender's e-mail is non valid. As my script is bouncing back several hundred messages a day, I am receiving tons of error messages!

I don't really know what to do. As it is my script that is sending the bounce it looks like to the sender that I am sending a normal mail, but what I want is it to act like a mailer daemon error message. Is there a way to "simulate" a mailer daemon error message so that the sender gets the error from my side and not the opposite?

thanks