* Dedicated hosting for a newbie!

Hi there, I currently shell out far too much money for virtual hosting and am seriously considering moving my domains to a dedicated server of some sort. There seem to be some great deals out there for only a relatively small multiple of what I'm paying now.

Basically, I'm wondering how difficult it is to set-up and run a dedicated server. I know a fair bit about Linux (enough to get by in an SSH session), but in a desktop rather than server environment. I'm thinking about security, optimisation, and so on, since I don't really know where to start.

A lot of these packages seem to come with Apache, PHP, Perl, MySQL, BIND etc all nicely configured and installed for you. How much work do you have to do to get a viable, secure, fastish server out at the end? Nothing? (aside from uploading your files!)

Also I am completely clueless when it comes to BIND and running DNS servers.

I'm asking for URLs. Are there any help sites out that deal with this sort of thing? There seems to be plenty of help once you've jumped on board the ship but not a lot about crossing the gangplank.

Thanks.

Hi,

For Linux, the best thing is to get a server with a control panel (eg CPanel, see cpanel.net) and also make sure you use a datacenter that will advise you for free and really help you out if things go pear-shaped. Hint: that probably means not one of the really cheap datacenters

You can learn as you go without too much problem. It's great fun -- enjoy!
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

Originally posted by TDMWeb
    make sure you use a datacenter that will advise you for free and really help you out if things go pear-shaped. Hint: that probably means not one of the really cheap datacenters
    I don't agree with that. I was in exact same position as Verteron a few months ago and got a Compaq/Ensim server at RackShack. My experience until now has been nothing but great. While their support might be limited, because they only sell unmanaged servers (some people don't seem to understand what that means), their forum is as good as it gets for newbies with a healthy brain. Just like here on webhostingtalk there are a lot of posters helping out the less experienced.

Verteron, just search these forums for a good dedicated host and go for it. I would recommend you first play a few weeks with your box before you move your sites over.

Jan Derk

Moving to a dedicated server is a big thing. You must seriously consider your time and skill when you come to it. When you are in virtual hosting, your host takes care of everything for you, all you have to do is ftp and be done. But with dedicated server, everything you do is affecting the whole server. You have to be very careful when it comes to this: just because your seem to be paying a lot of virtual support compared to dedicated hosting, doesn't mean dedicated hosting is really cheaper (because of the time and skill involved).

For example, I got a dedicated server from multipleimage last year, and thanks to their help, I have learned a lot and has now become a fair system administrator. However, I am remember the process is not simple and it takes time and effort.

I would recommend against going for rackshack, not that I have anything against (no, I even have a server with them), but because they don't provide managed support. If I had sign up with rackshack when I first got a dedicated server, I would have been dead by now. (In terms of my future in dedicated hosting). Even the control panel would not help too much, eventually there will be issue that comes up that the control panel cannot handle. You may be able to get helps from forums, but, the time you put into it and the possible money you pay for someone else to do it may outweight the virtual hosting cost. Not to mention the fact that while you are experiementing/learning, your sites may be down.

If you post the number and kind of sites you run, we can probably help you better.

Peter

ensim with RS is not that bad.

Verteron,

I am also a newbie in linux ...

I get a server at nocster.com coz they offer a cheap CPanel and managed server (at least i can ask them question regarding my server) ... I have done some research on the control panel ... and eventually I found out that CPanel offer much more than the rest could offer.

Once you get the CPanel installed ... most the things are handled there ... but sometimes you still have to use ssh to change file or directory ownership and symbolic link

Veteron,

Well, I was like you a couple of years ago. Then I decided enough is enough and decided to go dedicated. My first server was a Cobalt Raq 3i which I found it surprising simple to configure. Within two weeks, it was almost second nature to setting things up.

I wouldn't say that the Cobalt Raq is a high power server but what I am trying to say is that with Control Panels, it definitely make life a lot easier to set up even if you are not an expert in Linux, provided everything works fine with the GUI Control Panel. Most of the time, it is.

True, that is probably not as easy as doing it as a shared hosting as most of which time, things are unmanaged and support and other freebies such as daily backups and so on are not paid options with dedicated.

Work out the cost and see if it justifies moving to dedicated hosting.

Edwin
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

If You Don't Need A Full Dedicated Server

You may wish to consider a site like tera-byte.com, who have a virtual server, or some other companies offering virtual servers, or semi-dedicated/high resource servers. That way your server is still semi-managed, and if you have anything important won't get hacked or messed with.

Originally posted by Bubble
    ensim with RS is not that bad.
    Yes it is!
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Re: If You Don't Need A Full Dedicated Server

Originally posted by Revelation
    You may wish to consider a site like tera-byte.com, who have a virtual server, or some other companies offering virtual servers, or semi-dedicated/high resource servers. That way your server is still semi-managed, and if you have anything important won't get hacked or messed with.
    Totally agreed.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

some helpful stuff

Some good things to have handy that I would suggest:

Unix System Adminstratation Handbook
    DNS and Bind - O'Reilly & Assoc.

These 2 books will help you get through a lot of your basic questions.

Also remember... searching through newsgroups/message boards can help you figure out a lot of things.

And always...read the manual's that come with the applications... most have online availability if you don't have a hard copy.

HALO

Why not chose a host that do it all for you, wood be much esayer, and dount cost so much, and then you can lean on the way
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-17-2002 at 11:20 AM.

Originally posted by jslivko

Yes it is!
    Uhh...care to elaborate a bit your answer