My first template

I've seen so many templates for sale here, and so many buyers,
    that I couldn't help myself. I'm selling the template at
    http://www.polisource.com/images/tem...plateTest.html (it's almost complete),
    but before I put the finishing touches on it, can anyone
    recommend a website that offers free background stuff, like
    those images of translucent people who seem to enjoy floating
    around on top of web pages? Any idea of what I should charge
    and what services I should offer? A template is more than just an
    image, right? I assume I have to map all the buttons, but I want
    to make sure I get the basics straight before I actually make an
    offering.

Scrap backgrounds. Most are unprofessional and, well, bad.

Start this one at $5 and work your way up. Beggers can't be choosers

Scrap backgrounds. Most are unprofessional and, well, bad.
    Good advice.

Well, templates have limitations, and I had some space to fill.
    Compare http://polisource.com/images/templat...lateTest2.html with
    http://polisource.com/images/templat...plateTest.html

I think the first one is better, but I'd like it even more if I was able to fade those servers a bit. It's still not done though.

And the price won't be $5.00. I'm not saying I can sell it for more, but I won't sell it for $5.00.

not to displease you but, i suggest u go back to your drawing board, but i just hope it'l look much better when its complete.

It would be a good idea to learn more about PS and what's a good web site before you start selling your templates aye?

Have a look at coolhomepages.com.. A good place to start.

Your current sites are practically unprofessional sites. If you need any advice, feel free to contact me. My email is wayshend@hotmail.com..

Regards,
    Enzy

Cut the guy some slack, will ya.

Wassercrats: Don't feel bad, as we've all been through this stage in our design cycle. I would recommend what enzy said, pick up a few Photoshop (or Paintshop Pro) tutorials on the web and take a look at the layouts of professional websites.

Your basic concept of the hosting layout is ok, however, the styles and colors are too bland. You need to freshen them up a bit, etc.

Inspiration from other sites works the best when you're working young.

Good advices there progex.

Try to be more creative with your designs. Dont just use boxes and fill them. Use images and blend them or dont use boxes . The background is a bad idea, it distracts the eye keep the background a solid colour.

Just stick at it. I have about 20 templates that i would never dream of showing anyone just keep making them and they will get better each time.

"I have about 20 templates that i would never dream of showing anyone "

lol, ain't that the truth. everyone does.

Noone's going to tell you to steal, but surf. Get a good feel for what professional designs are. Draw your designs out on paper and practice practice practice. You need to know ps inside and out.

Why not steal?

I've learned to "steal" in a good way. You go around to about 20 sites you like and take a couple things from each one of them. Just small things. Concepts.

Then you go to the drawing board and stick them all in one template.

now we know who championhosts' designer is

When you say PS, I assume you mean my website, PoliSource, which has received good reviews. I care about utility for my website. Ever see a government website or a blog or zine? Most aren't "professional" looking, by enzy's definition.

Learning about Photoshop or Paintshop Pro won't help be because I can't install them on the computers I use. I mainly used MS Paint and some on-line applications. I can't use any software that requires rebooting after downloading.

And I think mine is better than http://templates.winnielim.com/vdh.jpg
    which someone just offered $50 for on this forum! Even I wouldn't buy my template, but some I've seen here look far worse and are selling for far more than I'd ask for.

**When you say PS, I assume you mean my website, PoliSource, which has received good reviews**

-snip-

think he meant PhotoShop - MS Paint gives you the ability to do very basic work - with a professional application such as PhotoShop even FireWorks you have options that once you know how to utilize you'll know how to create a professional template where people will bid for because it looks good.

No matter what anyone says though you'll need determination / creative flair and patience - alot of.

Oh. I thought enzy noticed that the template was half hosting and half politics and thought I had to learn what my own website was about.

Anyway, I'm using a bad LCD monitor. Can you all see that the upper left is pink and the top and left is blue? I made it light on purpose, but I want it to be noticeable.

http://www.polisource.com/images/tem...lateTest2.html

(and it won't be getting much better than this, so let it all out now )

Originally posted by Wassercrats
    When you say PS, I assume you mean my website, PoliSource, which has received good reviews. I care about utility for my website. Ever see a government website or a blog or zine? Most aren't "professional" looking, by enzy's definition.

Learning about Photoshop or Paintshop Pro won't help be because I can't install them on the computers I use. I mainly used MS Paint and some on-line applications. I can't use any software that requires rebooting after downloading.

which someone just offered $50 for on this forum! Even I wouldn't buy my template, but some I've seen here look far worse and are selling for far more than I'd ask for.
    If you have access to paint only, I think you should stop right there! Your site looks outdated, like it was made in 1996 or something. The site that has a bid of $50 looks very professional and that's why it has a bid of $50 and your's does not

PS = Photoshop.. Remember that.

Well, if you're going to do good graphics, you need to at least have paint shop pro. Or else, there's not much point doing graphics on MS Paint.

A good advice is to know what anti-alias is and how to use them. Color is another important aspect in design mate.. Keep that in mind.

Ohh.. Winnie's design is not a bad design you know.. His/her design does look much professional than yours..

Again, if you need any help, PM me.

Enzy

To anti-alias with Paint, I created two new colors that were between the background color and whatever I was anti-aliasing and placed them in the right positions. I just estimated everything. If you magnify the template, you'll see all the extra pixels I added to the PS in the upper left corner. It's not too big a deal if I just do it to one or two letters, but it's alot better to have it done automatically. Unforunately, I usually work on a computer that I'm not allowed to reboot, so I can't install Paintshop Pro, as far as I know.

Originally posted by Wassercrats

Erm, I am in no position to say whether mine's nicer or not, it's really subjective. However, I really do feel hurt, because it is up to the mass here what they want to comment on your template, and you should recieve criticisms graciously, because that's the best way to learn.

I don't think it's right to bring out someone's work and ciriticise it, or compare it with your own in a negative manner. Even the template in subject isn't mine I would have voiced this out too.

You can say what you want, but I've have clients on my portfolio happy with my work, and that is all that matters to me. When people don't like my stuff I try to take it as a learning process. And that's what life is about.

And I would never bring someone else's work to compare with and slang it in public like that.

xharine's template isnt the best but it has a clean look
    your's has a n00bie crappy look. Sorry :|

People are giving you advice here and your not listening to them. Do yourslef a favor and delete that design...start over and use some of the adivice you have been given

I didn't mean to imply that your template looks far worse and is selling for far more than I'd ask for--just that I think mine is better. Sorry if I went to far even with that comment. It seems that some people have gone alot farther with negative comments in this thread than I have. The advice I've been getting is about comparing, and I was trying to show the results of my comparison.

I think I'll be asking $50 for my template. Sorry if my unwillingness to delete it offends anyone. It will include up to seven buyer-customizable pages (no html or graphic knowledge necessary), one for each button (I'll customize the buttons). A logo of up to three letters for the upper left corner will be included, they'll be a selection of graphics for the upper right, and the top-center (title and subtitle) will be buyer-customizable.

I also intend to write a script to allow the buyer-customized text to be positioned correctly while keeping the template centered, no matter the width of the screen, so JavaScript will be required (unless I find a way around JavaScript).

I intend to make these things standard for most templates I design (assuming I design any more). For my current template, I'll try to find a place to sell it where the majority of designs aren't intended for one of the 50 million "professional" web hosting companies. I've seen free web hosts with mostly personal sites offer templates to their customers. Mine would probably be better for that than some of the more professional looking templates I've seen.

But before I do anything, I'll have to find another place to ask whether the colors are visable, since it nobody here will accept the premise that I may want to go with what I have and help me with some details.