Thread: Getting Started

Getting Started

Hi

Can anyone give good sound advice on how best to get started in the business of offering domain name registration?

I found a reseller option at NameCheap sounds ok but everything seems linked via RegistryRocket is this any good?

Also NameCheap don't offer any uk domains ie .co.uk, etc

I am based in the UK and so would want to offer a full range of uk and com domains.

I found 123-Reg for uk domains. They have an affiliate program but this seems pretty average.

Ideally want something with the ability to set my own prices. I already have a credit card processing account so need something to link into that for domain search and registration.

What do others do?

Many thanks

Kevin

Hasd you tried looking into Dotster reseller program?? I am deiciding which should I go with... Namecheap or Dotster..

Hi

I aready signup for a free account with Dotster but each time I access the Reseller site I have to re-enter username and password for every single link I follow. I even had a time when on entering correct username/password I was taken to a blank screen.

Dotster posted a message regarding some problems with IE6

It is all very tiresome and until they sort this out it is really difficult to use.

It is free to join though.

NameCheap you pay a $25 set up fee and the domain cost is only $7.99 while with Dotster it is $12 although with Dotster this includes cc processing costs. However allowing for these NameCheap works out slightly cheaper.

As far as I can tell neither of these companies offer .co.uk names though.

May go for NameCheap myself but I am also looking at openSRS because they do offer .co.uk names. Wholesale pricing is at $10 though. I do however find their information confusing and I am not sure if I can ever get their system up and running - seems very complicated. I have however signed up and hope this will give me free access to a trial account so I can try it out before parting with the $250 deposit. OpenSRS say it can take 2 business days to set up, so that is a bit of a pain.

The other option, I guess, would be to go for someone like NameCheap for .com registration and set up an affiliation with 123-reg for the .co.uk domains. A bit messy though I would prefer a customer to be able to search all domains and select the ones they wish to buy - it is a good psychological point also showing other available domains is tempting.

Yours

Kevin

Originally posted by kjedwards

NameCheap you pay a $25 set up fee and the domain cost is only $7.99 However allowing for these NameCheap works out slightly cheaper.

As far as I can tell neither of these companies offer .co.uk names though.

I had read the FAQ by namecheap that

"Enrolling with RegistryRocket is free. The fee for merchant services is 95 cents plus 3% of each transaction. You decide what price to charge for domain names over your cost."
    Thus does that means that the cost of each domain is $7.99 + $0.95 + 3% of each transaction?

It's NameCheap that charges the $25 - one time non refundable set up fee.

You have to email NameCheap for their reseller details. This is what I got back -

Hello,

Here is the information you requested;
    There is a $25 non refundable processing fee for setting up your reseller account. There is no deposit or minimum to buy necessary. Your price per domain will be $7.99 for .com, .net, .org, .info, and .biz .

What is RegistryRocket?
    RegistryRocket is a customizable e-commerce web page and a Credit Card Processing service for resellers. It is designed as a tool for you to sell domain names. You give your site a name, upload a logo (or not), and set the pricing. We take care of the website hosting, merchant processing and other services.
    Track sales and watch your account balance grow in your reseller account. Whether this is your permanent e-commerce solution for domain name sales, or an interim option until you have your own merchant account established, RegistryRocket works.

If you already host your Domain Name web site, and want to just use the Credit Card Processing feature, you can do so by running the API on your web site. This feature will be accessible once you have agreed to the RegistryRocket terms.

Why use RegistryRocket credit card processing?
    Attention resellers! Now you can simplify the payment collection portion of your transactions.
    Here are some of the benefits:
    Accept credit card payments
    Fast and secure payments
    Low fees

FAQ
    What is RegistryRocket?
    RegistryRocket is a customizable e-commerce web page. It is designed as a tool for you to sell domain names. You give your site a name, upload a logo (or not), and set the pricing. We take care of the website hosting, merchant processing and other services.

Track sales and watch your account balance grow in your reseller account. Whether this is your permanent e-commerce solution for domain name sales, or an interim option until you have your own merchant account established, RegistryRocket works.

Does NameCheap provide the software for domain registration through my website?
    There is no software to download, no integration with credit card services and no setup involved. Just login to your reseller account, sign up for RegistryRocket and start selling domain names right away. It's that simple.

I don't have a website, can I still use RegistryRocket?
    Absolutely. We create and host the registration website for you. Once you enroll with RegistryRocket, we send you a link via email that goes to your customized site. If you already have a website, simply add this link to it. If not, include the link in an email or other advertisement to send clients to your RegistryRocket site. Use it for every fresh marketing idea you have.

How much do I charge?
    You determine the rate you want to charge, and enter it when you sign up. Want to charge different prices in different markets? Go for it! Just sign up for an additional RegistryRocket link at a new price. Keeping track of sales is easy, find all your transactions from all your links in your reseller account.

Can I have more than one RegistryRocket account?
    Yes. Set up a different RegistryRocket link for every website, company name, or idea you have. Set up a new link for every price point and every new promotion you think of. Use the power and flexibility of this tool to squeeze every dollar out of every domain name idea you get. Use it to get big, fast.

What is the cost?
    Enrolling with RegistryRocket is free. The fee for merchant services is 95 cents plus 3% of each transaction. You decide what price to charge for domain names over your cost.

How do I get money out of my reseller account?
    After the 90-day charge back window is closed, your available commission balance is increased. (Menu items Reseller/Sub Account/Access Commission). You have the ability to move this money to your account balance, or have a check issued.

To see an example site go to www.registryrocket.com
    You may sign up by going to this link https://secure5.activehost.com/namecheap/reseller