hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Can someone tell me if this is a good deal please?

Forum Jump

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal please?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal please?

I am looking to move to Rack Space. My situation is basically that I need mission critical uptime and I don't have a lick of sense when it comes to managing a server. So as far as I can tell Rack Space are the total package. However I feel I could be taken advantage of. I am very distraught over their selling style and fear they are taking advantage of me. I can tell you what they are offering and would greatly appreciate any advice:

Quote:

OptionII

HARDWARE
Standard Chassis Server
O/S Redhat Enterprise Linux 4.0
Includes: Apache 2.0, MySQL 4, PHP4, etc
Access:Full Administrative Control via FTP or SSH
Processor: Single AMD Opteron 246 Processor Dual Capable
Memory: 2 GB DDR RAM
Hard Drive(s): 80 GB EIDE
Primary Connectivity: 100Mbps Fully Burstable
Additional Networking: BackupNet
Port Monitoring Agent: Rackwatch Basic
S.L.A.: 0 % Downtime / 1 Hour Hardware Replacement Guarantee
Service: FANATICAL 24x7x365 Support and Service
Support: Dedicated Account Manager / Technician Team
IP's:2

Managed Services

24 month deal = 540.00

Add Raid1 = +115.00 per month

total = 655.00 per month
Quote:
The Option II with Raid 1, would be $655 per month as you pointed out, once the different promotions and discounts are included. The cost of the Firewall (CiscoPix 501) would be a monthly additional charge (at list price) of $225 per month. The reason Firewalls are extra is that we fully manage them as well as the server. Although we recommend that every server should be behind a firewall, you would be surprised as to how many people have servers that are not behind firewalls. I called my manager when I got your email and he surprised me with a separate discount for the CiscoPix 501.

Here is the deal: As long as we receive the signed contract no later than 8/15, I can add the firewall to the configuration (with the Raid 1 and Plesk) for a monthly recurring fee of $655.00 per month and a one time setup fee of $300.00 so essentially, the firewall will be free.

If you would like to add 2GB of RAM for a total of 4GB it would add $70 for a grand total of $725.

So the above is quoted at 725, but here are my concerns. A single opteron 246 system for 725? I've seen some hosts selling quadcore opteron systems for around that. Also I'm getting a 'free' firewall, how do i know this isn't some old obsolete junk they were going to throw away in the first place or even the server itself for that matter. I know the opteron 246 is already discontinued. So my concern is are these guys trying to sell me a bunch of 3yr old equipment for a ridiculous price? I truly would appreciate some help here because without it I'm probably going to get shafted.

Thanks!
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

I would think you are fine. You have to remeber hardware is cheap but you are paying for people who know Linux/Windows/etc inside out to be there 24x7 and 1 hour replacement on hardware. Its the people cost more than anything else

Rus

Old 08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Also, I know some may suggest other hosts or resellers but I have been down this road before. I want a datacenter with 100% uptime, with 24x7x365, with 1hr hardware sla, that answers calls within 10-30minutes, and a good backup routine etc. I do not want to raise a call and have someone tell me 2hrs later they will need to contact the datacenter for help, then 6hrs later still have a downed server and can't get hold of anyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I want a datacenter with 100% uptime
*laughs hysterically* Seriously, though... I highly doubt there's a datacenter anywhere in the world that can actually guarentee 100% uptime. Besides Google's DCs, of course. But they run special software that re-routes search traffic around downed servers. So, even if there's a fire and half of a DC burns down, the users never notice. Until it goes on CNN.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't think you would have any problems with rackspace. They have a ton of customers, so they must be doing somthing right. You might also look at The Planet. But, I haven't heard much good about them lately. Or maybe AtlantaNAP... that's where A Small Orange houses their servers. Very fast and very reliable, imho.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataHunter2009
*laughs hysterically* Seriously, though... I highly doubt there's a datacenter anywhere in the world that can actually guarentee 100% uptime.
I'm laughing hysterically at that comment. While with MCI, they offered 100% uptime SLA and provided it well for as long as I was involved with them, including the major power outage that rocked the North East portion of North America in 2003. You get what you pay for, the ones who nickle and dime will find a permanent home at WHT.

As for the quote, apparently, I'm not allowed to say anything.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Junior Guru

Billy,

IMO you could easily find a comprable server at a very good data centre and then hire a management company to look after it. Have you considered this option?

Old 08-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldawg
Billy,

IMO you could easily find a comprable server at a very good data centre and then hire a management company to look after it. Have you considered this option?
I have considered it but it just seems like another level of complexity. I do have the money for rack space I just was unsure if I'm getting the most for my money. To grab a high spec server at a server farm + a 3rd party admin team seems like a real crapshoot to me and I just don't want to gamble anymore.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Does anyone have experience with Liquidweb? Here is their config for $600 seems a massive jump in spec and cheaper than rackspace:

Processor: Dual Opteron 265 (quad processing) Memory: 4GB DDR Registered ECC Hd1: Dual 73GB SCSI / Hardware Raid 1 (+Upgrade to Dual 147GB SCSI RAID 1) Hd2: 120GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache RemoteBackup: 50GB Remote Backup OS: Linux - CentOS 4 ControlPanel: Plesk 7.5 Unlimited SetupFee: $350 Setup Fee
$605.00

Is rackspace support 'THAT' much better than Liquidweb?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 07:51 PM
WHT Addict

have you ever thought about trying a unmanaged company and hiring a mangement company or team?
you might come out cheaper

i dont have experience with either so i cnat cmment on that.

Regards,

Old 08-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by URLhost
have you ever thought about trying a unmanaged company and hiring a mangement company or team?
you might come out cheaper

i dont have experience with either so i cnat cmment on that.

Regards,
I have considered it but like I say above it seems more complex and a bit of a crapshoot. After reading about liquidweb on the net is seems service with them is hit or miss which I can not tolerate. So it looks like back to square1 a lower spec box but better service with rackspace. Guess I'll keep haggling my sales rep to see if he can do me a better spec.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I'm laughing hysterically at that comment. While with MCI, they offered 100% uptime SLA and provided it well for as long as I was involved with them, including the major power outage that rocked the North East portion of North America in 2003.
Oh please. You cannot possibly tell me that there was not one second of downtime with MCI. You're telling me: absolute 100% uptime. Never had a single problem, never had single reboot? I find that hard to believe. Besides, I said "I HIGHLY DOUBT". I never said "ZOMG! I know for a fact!!!111!" So, if you don't agree, then ignore my comment. I was only giving my opinion.

And people wonder why I'm not sociable... >_>

Old 08-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I called my manager when I got your email and he surprised me with a separate discount for the CiscoPix 501
That made me laugh. Typical RS giving you the runaround. Seems like you got a good deal from them, I'm assuming you did some haggling? With everything they are giving you, and at that price, i'd personally go for it.

RS is fine, but IMO they overcharge like crazy and don't provide that incredible of a service considering how much it's costing you. I've been with better hosts for less.....

Old 08-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
RS is fine, but IMO they overcharge like crazy and don't provide that incredible of a service considering how much it's costing you. I've been with better hosts for less.....
Why stop there? Name the names of RS competitors that were better for you. I'm sure the OP will appreciate it.

PS. Moving thread to Dedicated Server forum.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcdc
Why stop there? Name the names of RS competitors that were better for you.
I'd be interested too but it sounds like you are not with them anymore?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Web Hosting Master

Why not buy two dedicated servers at two seperate DCS from less known provides and setup a failover. This is 1.) about the same price or cheaper 2.) withstands hardware failures 3.) if done right, no one will notice 4.) you can do configuration/tweaking on one server without affecting users. 4.) getting twice the hardware for the same price--could be good for load balancing.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
GoDaddy Acquires Media Temple to Run as Separate Business Web Hosting News 2013-10-16 10:51:28
The Real EIG HostGator Deal Valuation Blog 2013-09-26 13:31:36
PayPal Nears Braintree Acquisition Deal: Report Web Hosting News 2013-09-23 14:03:32
Managed Host INetU Acquired by BV Investment Partners Web Hosting News 2013-01-08 14:17:39
Web Host 1-800 HOSTING Acquired by XBT Holding Ltd. Web Hosting News 2012-11-12 12:17:16