Do you use royalty free images?

Do you use royalty free images?

If yes, how much do you spend on the sets and which sets have you gotten (names, links if you can remember)?

If no, why not (price, quality, subject matter, etc.)?
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-07-2002 at 10:21 AM.

I don't because of two reasons. First of all it is the subject matter. I can never find that perfect pic for the layout. Secoundis price. I don't want to pay $200+ for a stock photo CD just to use one image from it.

Andyc

So you mean you don't use images at all?

And don't forget, sometimes your client is ready to pay for images you use for the site.
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-07-2002 at 10:21 AM.

and you offer them for sale?

Originally posted by Angel78
    and you offer them for sale?
    Dear Angel,

I appreciate your sense of humor.

Yes, I'm guilty. I'm selling royalty free images. How did you know? A-a-a, I know how – it was my signature. But now it's OK – moderator deleted it, and he is right (moderator is always right!)

Would you like to buy some? I know, I should give them for free, but sometimes my family has to eat something – people, you know…

By the way, I suppose, there are some other people on the forum, who are selling their services, hosting for example, and at the same time they are participating in discussions about hosting matters.

So ask them the same question: "Do you offer hosting for sale?" (Maybe they give it for free, who knows?)

Best wishes,

DrPix
    Royalty Free Images at http://www.wannapic.com

Well it is webHOSTINGtalk.com afterall isnt it? And if you didnt started the topic trying to promote your site then i am terribly sorry for misunderstanding your post.

Angel,

It's o'key - this is Lounge afterall, isn't it? Everybody is joking here.

Yes, I didn't start the topic trying to promote my site. Our target group is graphic artists – all of our images have 300 dpi resolution, and web-designers usually use 72 dpi. But I was wondering whether they buy it at all – because some people told me that majority of web-masters prefer to use a free stuff.

am corbis.com ~ 50 $ for 72 dpi pic (business use), but 72 is too low, you do compress it to 72 but ppl use to work with higher dpi.

Originally posted by DrPix
    . . . . . . I know, I should give them for free, but sometimes my family has to eat something – people, you know… . . . . . . .
    mmmmm . . . . . . . sarcasm.

Ever seen the Rules page?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

There's only one problem with royalty free images.. if people has seen the pic somewhere, they might think you ripped the image. And you usually don't get the chance to explain because they just lose their trust and leave your site without telling you why. This is why I NEVER use royalty free images.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    mmmmm . . . . . . . sarcasm.

Ever seen the Rules page?
    No-o-o-o-o-o!

It wasn't sarcasm!!!!!

It was humor!!!

Am I right, Angel?

drpix?

Well most of the hosting websites allready look like twins, just look at the support pages with ppl (mostly woman) with their headset's

Originally posted by DrPix
    By the way, I suppose, there are some other people on the forum, who are selling their services, hosting for example, and at the same time they are participating in discussions about hosting matters.
    I think the bone here is that while many of us here do sell webhosting, we don't start threads about it. In the mods place, I'd throw this whole thread.

Oh, welcome to WebhostingTalk btw

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Well, this is actually DrPix's second attempt. His first thread was moved to the ad forum, but no one commented on the thread and it died a slow painful death. He basically wanted to know what he should sell his images for (some of you may have seen the thread).

After getting no comments, he wrote in asking what he thought he should do. He knew people here had bought images and he wanted to know a bit about it. He had some more general questions (which we do allow). Hosts can't ask how much they should price their packages for, however they can ask general questions that can benefit all hosts such as, "Do hosting clients prefer Cpanel or Plesk?" etc.

So I altered his new questions to make them as general as possible. Also I added things that I thought would help him (such as, "how much do you spend on the sets and which sets have you gotten (names, links if you can remember)?" and "why not (price, quality, subject matter, etc.)?")

I felt this was ok, as he was asking people what their past spending patterns were and the products they had already purchased. Also if they skipped over buying the images, why they skipped.

I OK'ed this one and as I said, helped him with the questions. It is borderline, I realize, but I tried to keep the wording so that it wasn't specific to his exact products. Maybe I wasn't successful...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken
    I OK'ed this one and as I said, helped him with the questions. It is borderline, I realize, but I tried to keep the wording so that it wasn't specific to his exact products. Maybe I wasn't successful...
    I think you succeeded. The only clue that the post was from someone "in the business" was the link in his profile, and possibly the username.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

dude, i dont think you understand the terms " Royalty Free".
    If you know any form of english, you would know what paying "Royalties" are.

divinetruth, I think you're confused or at least your post is confusing. What do you mean exactly?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I agree. I don't think Royalty should be used by hosting companies as a way to influence potential customers.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I agree. I don't think Royalty should be used by hosting companies as a way to influence potential customers.

<Gets the sword out>

And arise thee Sir Idiot.....

Seriously. I would never use pictures of Royalty to promote on site.

On that other note . . . . . . . The Prohacker; you're on. Catch me if you can.

OK, as I said above, I'm not trying to promote here my royalty free business, because I know, that web-masters prefer to use free stuff (btw, this is a reason why many web-sites look like twins, and not because they use royalty free images – there are hundreds of thousands of royalty free, so probability to use the same image is very close to zero).

What I'm trying to understand, is WHY they do not use it, as graphic artists do (btw, I would never start such a thread on graphics forum).

I perceive a web-design as a kind of art, so when I see that web-designers do not use available graphic material and instead of it sometimes they are trying to synthesize kind of super-modern-space-high-tech design, I feel that probably there is something I do not know. Because what I do know for sure, is that good old principles of design and advertising are still valid.
    Last edited by DrPix; 06-10-2002 at 09:05 AM.